• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hose Clamps - Metal v Plastic v Zip

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MrLarkins

Alright, lets see the pics of these in use.

These are the clamps I know about.

grid_snp-14.jpg

grid_MM705W.jpg

clamps-springs.jpg

and of course zipties.

i personally am interested in which works best on a Fuzion CPU block and a MCW60 GPU block, all 1/2" tygon tubing.

Here's my Pump with a jubilee clip:
Pump_jubilee.jpg

And heres my Block with the swiftech hoselocks:
block_hoselock.jpg

They are both extremely sturdy. Though the Swiftech locks look more attractive. Though I would trust the Jubilee clip over the plastic locks. Though thats just because its metal over plastic. The plastic would theoretically fail over the the jubille, due to the fact you can slide the teeth up and down, so I guess with a knock or some vibration the could come loose.
But im sure the rubber like Tygon will prevent that with the grip it gives.

If you are using 1/2", you need to use clamps of some sort, not zip ties. The clamps I recommend over and over are the "Type 430 Stainless Steel Nonperforated Worm-Drive Hose and Tube Clamps" from Mcmaster, part #
5076K13 on page 239. They don't cut into the tubing, they are 3/8" wide so they fit onto barbs perfectly, you can tighten them down with a ratchet, and they last forever. I have been reusing the same ones in several builds and modifications over the course of 2 years now.

I normaly use the metal ones even though they aren't as nice looking, however i've used zipties with no issues as well, you just need to make sure you use a pair of pliers (needlenose works best) to tighten them as simply doing it by hand really isn't enough, just zip them by hand as tight as you can then take the needlenose pliers and grab it right where it comes out of the zip part and twist the pliers.

I have the plastic clamps. They are very tight, I squeezed it tight with a plier and cannot pull it off if I wanted to.

the bottom two pics would be the best, most obviously because they use them on cars, cars get hot, and generally last quite a long time, being metal they will not break, being stainless they will not rust, and tighten alot. i use the worm drive ones as they are reusable, the other type is not, may not look as nice? will never leak if correctly put on

I have always used zip-ties with no leaks for about 7 years and countless loops. I place one in alternating directions between each barb on all hose connections.

Some say not to use them on 1/2" fittings (I'm assuming with 1/8" wall due to overall thickness). I have used them on 3/8" and 1/2", both 1/8" wall. All Tygon 3603, and some on specialty Tygon (5000'something). I use needle nose pliers or a zip-tightener tool to make sure the ties are tight. I have even used a single zip tie on a slip fit over an Eheim pump outlet (1/2" tubing) with no issues.

Just make sure they're tight and doubled up if you can (or just if you're paranoid).

Plastic clamps for me. I used metal clamps for a long time b/c they were readily available at Home Depot, but they become mis-shapen easily.

IMG_1866.jpg

This is a picture of the smooth clamps mentioned above. Kinda hard to see, not sure if this image will help anything out.

IMG_2123.jpg

7329K13 WIDE-BAND SELF-TIGHTENING SPRING HOSE CLAMP, FOR 3/4" HOSE OD from mcmaster

Both work very well much better than any plastic clamp or zip ties. Ever since i started using the Spring clamps i have been hooked they work great and I don't plan on switching to anything different. I have tried all the other options and the spring clamps are my favorite.

I'm a cheap ******* so I use worm drive hose clamps from the dollar store. Cheap, effective, reusable, reliable. 8 for a dollar, what could go wrong? : o ).

stainless steel worm clamps. I installed them on my system 4 years ago... its been running 24/7 with no issues what so ever.

I hate those pinch clamps... those things are so hard to work with in my engine bay so... I dont even touch those...

BTW, this is my first post in like 4 years hahaha. check out my rig I made 4 years ago in my sig hahahahaha.

This should have been a poll. I asked a similar question a while ago and the consensus was something is better than nothing.

If you buy worm gears... don't overtighten as they can oval and POSSIBLY cause a leak. But, by overtightening I mean putting the hurt on it, haha.

If you buy plastic clamps (AKA Swiftech clamps) make sure they are tight and of the right size as they don't have very good range.

Zip ties... well they look nice and will probably hold fine but I don't know if I could trust them. But, MANY MANY people do and have had very good results. Again... make sure they are tight and of good quality so that they will hold and not pop when you tighten them hard.

Metal Spring Clamps, they should hold fine but they can leave a heck of an imprint in the tubing. I have never used these.

My personal choice, Worm gear clamps, see Project in sig for more info.

If we're gonna do a poll, there'd better be an option for no clamps at all. I've got all 7/16" tubing on 1/2" barbs (two rads, two water blocks, one pump, 10 total connections). They are a PITA to install, but even more of a PITA to remove, I usually have to cut them off with an exacto knife.

Maviryk said:
If we're gonna do a poll, there'd better be an option for no clamps at all. I've got all 7/16" tubing on 1/2" barbs (two rads, two water blocks, one pump, 10 total connections). They are a PITA to install, but even more of a PITA to remove, I usually have to cut them off with an exacto knife.
I'd be very careful not using any clamps... pressure builds up over time. When I was testing my loop (in sig), i ran no clamps and many a hose blew off - water everywhere. Not smart to run no clamps at all.

Meh. the Swiftech ones look nice but I wouldn't trust them for the long term unattended.

you wanted pics. shiny stainless all around.

CIMG0065.jpg

CIMG0053.jpg

nikhsub1 said:
I'd be very careful not using any clamps... pressure builds up over time. When I was testing my loop (in sig), i ran no clamps and many a hose blew off - water everywhere. Not smart to run no clamps at all.

Yes, but you're also using dual DDC's and a Storm!

Back