• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need suggestion on case fan placement

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

harshilsharma63

Hi, I've got a pretty basic rig with an i3 2100, Intel DH61WW, two sticks of ram, single hard drive and no GPU. I have a basic case with only a few fan slots available, but I managed to make some extra slots somehow. What I now have is - 2 rear slots (one higher and other at bottom), two side slots (one higher and other at bottom) and one front slot (higher) (all higher slots are at level with cpu cooler). What will be the best fan placement for this cabinet? I wish to bring idle cpu temp from 47 C to ~42 C. Also, the psu is top mounted.

Try tweaking the fan settings in the BIOS. Also, full load temps are what really count.

High rear = exhaust
Low side = intake
Front = intake

This makes the most sense to me. Hot air rises, so start the cool air from the bottom and front.

I can't remember what idle temps are typically supposed to be on the stock HSF, but yours do seem high. You might also try re-applying AS5 and re-seating the heatsink, just in case you forgot to make all the attachment mechanisms "click".

aaaaarrrggghhhh "hot air rises" is completely irrelevant (if not using a fanless system)

If your case comes with filters prefitted: anything with a filter is intake,
if there is no filter, it is exhaust.

Of course, this happens to be in most of the cases Front in , Rear/Top out :)

Hi, I've got a pretty basic rig with an i3 2100, Intel DH61WW, two sticks of ram, single hard drive and no GPU. I have a basic case with only a few fan slots available, but I managed to make some extra slots somehow. What I now have is - 2 rear slots (one higher and other at bottom), two side slots (one higher and other at bottom) and one front slot (higher) (all higher slots are at level with cpu cooler). What will be the best fan placement for this cabinet? I wish to bring idle cpu temp from 47 C to ~42 C. Also, the psu is top mounted.

Much depends on fans used.
  • Both rear exhaust
  • If side top aligns with CPU and CPU cooler is down flow make it an intake (or exhaust with cooler fan pulling air out of cooler instead of pushing in).
  • Front intake.
  • Side lower as intake may help GPU cooling but may also increase CPU temp

Here's a basic guide to case cooling and how I use a temperature sensor inside of case.
Case airflow and cooling is not hard to do but can be time consuming.
Setting up the case for optimum cooling is often the hardest and most time consuming part of a build... And often the most neglected.
  • There is much more to cooling than good cases and good CPU / GPU coolers. Add the fact that many GPU's make more heat than CPU means getting that heat out of the case and keeping a cool airflow to components can be a challenge.
  • There must be more air flowing through case than component fans are using. If the CPU cooler uses 70cfm and GPU uses 80cfm fans we need 180-220cfm.
  • Cases, especially those with filters, usually benefit from fans with higher static pressure ratings than stock fans... "cooler" fans instead of "case" fans.
    Intakes are typically have more restricted than exhaust because of air filters, more restrictive grills, HDD cages, etc.
  • I prefer more intake than exhaust. And don't confuse number of fans with amount of airflow... or airflow with airblow
    • airflow is flowing cool air from intake to component and flowing hot air from component out of case without the hot air mixing with the cool air.
    • airblow is lots of fans blowing air with some of hot air from components mixing with cool air making it warmer resulting in warm air not cooling components as well as the cool air will.
  • Putting fans in case as intake and/or exhaust is only the first step. These fans only move air in and out of case.
  • This does not mean heated air is not mixing with cool air.
  • Nor does it mean cool air is going to where it is needed.
  • Getting the air to flow inside of case properly is even more important. We still need to manage where the air flows inside the case. We can do this several ways; deflectors, more intake fans.. & exhaust fans, removing PCI slot covers, removing vent grills, removing HDD cage, using fans with higher pressure/airflow, building ducts to or from CPU/GPU cooler, etc.
  • Using a remote temperature sensor to monitor what air temps are is the key to finding out where the cool air is flowing and knowing heated air is not mixing into it. By monitoring this we can than make changes to get airflow the way we want it.

How to monitor air temperature different places inside of case:
  • A cheap indoor/outdoor thermometer with a piece of insulated wire and a plastic clothspin works great.
  • Made up with floral wire and tape. We don't want anything to short out with metal. ;)
    e65759c3-fbf9-414f-9f1f-f5941d540397_zps2fe90c77.jpg
  • Clip and position sensor where I want to check the temp. Make it easy to see what the air temp going into components actually is relative to room temp. ;)
  • When system is working air temps going into coolers will be 2-3c warmer than room.. up to about 5c is okay.
Feel free to ask questions after reading.

Back