• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Life after a Hyper 212 Evo.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chrisjames61

I have five rigs with Hyper 212's. Specifically I want to upgrade cooling for my 6300 and 8320. I want to stick with air coolers due to their simplicity compared to closed loop coolers. I know I couldn't go wrong with a Noctua NH-D14. Preferably I would like something a little smaller and with better looking fans. Anyone have any suggestions?

If you were to pay the price for the D14 anyway, I would just grab the Phanteks PH-TC14PE.

Perhaps a Noctua C14 will be more what you want if you don't want the tower heatsinks.

Try swapping the fan on it for a more powerful one. Other than that, only a proper water cooling setup will make for a worthwhile upgrade.

Chris 2 of the better Air coolers I have that aren't as huge as the Noctua are,
Prolimatech Megahalems and a Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120. Picked them both up used on ebay for less then a CM 212.

Hey chrisjames, any particular reason for the cooling upgrade? Or just getting the "upgrade" itch? I get that alot. Are you overclocking your CPU?

Hey chrisjames, any particular reason for the cooling upgrade? Or just getting the "upgrade" itch? I get that alot. Are you overclocking your CPU?

I have an 8320 that I had a Hyper 212 Evo in. Felt it was marginal cooling for an eight core. So I put it in my 6300 rig. Got one of those clearance H100's. Its working fine but a couple things bother me. The wiring for one. I think it just clutters up the looks of my computer. Plus I really like the simplicity of a tower cooler.

Chris 2 of the better Air coolers I have that aren't as huge as the Noctua are,
Prolimatech Megahalems and a Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120. Picked them both up used on ebay for less then a CM 212.

I picked up this huge no name cooler on eBay. The guy said it was in a pre-built computer. Cyber Power maybe. Cost me $15 with shipping. Mostly copper. Six heatpipes. Unfortunately it had only the Intel mounting gear. The base was actually lapped from the factory. Copper had a beautiful mirror finish. I put it in a ga-g31m-es2l with a core 2 quad 6600 and built a fully functional hackintosh. Overclocked it from 2.40 GHz to 3.10 easily. Just need too get some DDR2 two gig ramsticks.

Last edited:
Could you post a pic of the H100 in your system, as far as a minimalist approach an H100 is about as minimal as it gets IMO. While I'm no fan of the "AIO" units, they do have a simple look and approach.

Could you post a pic of the H100 in your system, as far as a minimalist approach an H100 is about as minimal as it gets IMO. While I'm no fan of the "AIO" units, they do have a simple look and approach.

Its not bad. My gripe is that you have the to two Corsair fan wires. The molex from the pump. The other wire from the pump. To me its busy and messy. Compare it to an air cooler that does the same job with just two fan wires and a splitter. Much easier to rout to a single pwm connector.

Well chrisjames, for an 8320, the hyper 212 evo is a good cooler where you can push the 8320 a little bit. Say 0.3-0.5 ghz without too much a problem. Only way youll get higher is going with a BIG air cooler (noctua nh-d14, cooler aster v8 gt) or with watercooling. Both air coolers I mentioned arent cheap either. $75-$90. So carefully consider your options before you make a buy

Well, if you want to make the jump back to air towers, I would highly recommend the Phanteks PH-TC14PE as it is a top performer which has shown results greater than the famed Noctua D14.

I'll be honest though, if I already had a H100 laying around, despite my hatred for the damn things, I'd probably be using that over an air cooler if it meant buying a high quality air cooler. At least use it until the pump dies is what I'm getting at.

I really like my h100. I am using 38x120 panaflos, huge difference between them and stock. I used to have a d14 and I still have my true, but I prefer the h100. Yes occasionally it will make some weird noises but I just give the pump a firm tap with my trusty screwdriver and it's back to quiet :thup:

I think that cable management has come a long way. Modular psu's. Cases built with cable management in mind. No more big ribbon cables or floppy drives. Fewer people are using optical drives. Less drives period because of high capacity. But if you have a big case with plenty of fans and a few drives it still can be messy.

Back