• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Closed loop / AIO Liquid Cooler - Best in 240mm? Must fit Fractal Define r4

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ahaas5

I would like to NOT go with a Corsair H100i if I don't have to. I've heard the rattling sound, the bad link software, etc...

Everyone says "Save the money from the H100i and get a better AIO"

Well, there's my question - What's the best AIO for 240mm? And it must fit in my define r4...

I want my question to also include an "upgraded" H100i - Noctua/SP120 fans, motherboard fan control, etc. I will purchase a H100i if it happens to be the best/quietest with new fans and not using the link software.

Please respond if you currently have one of these setups. Or if you've upgraded your fans on the H100i and are using MB to control. I will be using Asus Fan Xpert 2...

Thanks in advance...

A non i H100 is a good way to go. Swiftech makes a nice 4pin PWM splitter that runs off either SATA or Molex, and can be controlled through a mobo 4 pin (The new beta version of corsair link reads and can control MOBO fan headers) I have an H100i, and have no problems with fans rattling (most, if not all new kits have newer firmware) The fans that come with it, while not silent or high end work reasonably well.

If I had it to do over and didn't want to go full custom, I would get a Swiftech h20-220 (several options) A phobya kit, or an EK kit..

Swiftech

Phobya out of stock atm

EK

Thanks for the suggestions - that helps.

I'm really liking Swiftech. If I decided to liquid cool the GPU at a later date, it looks to be fairly easy.

I'll have to look into it more to see if it's an adventure to try and fit in my define r4

Your best bet is to not waste money on an AIO cooler, but spend the extra $50 now and get a good 240mm radiator DIY kit from XSPC, EK, or other company. Usually for around $160 you get a great kit that is real easy to add onto in the future. Plus temps in a good custom loop are bar none. (Cept for nitrogen of course)

What Infinite66 said.

The Swiftech is good, but pump and radiator will not handle another waterblock and pump will not handle the added radiator needed.

Top air coolers are cheaper, quieter, perform as well (with higher cfm / noisy fans) are more dependable (pump issue mostly) and will last much longer. Only thing to go wrong is fans, system still cools, and they are easy to replace. But on a CLC if pump fails there is no cooling at all.

Silver Arrow SB-E Extreme cools 7c better than H100 at same noise level (1dBA more)
Code:
7 3820 @4.75GHz
Cooler  Delta	RPM	RPM	dBA	Fans
H100		41c	2500		55	2x
SA SB-E		42c	1000	1300	38	TY-150 & TY-141	
SA SB-E Extreme	34c	2500		56	2x TY-143
jump in to 3:40 for results

Can you tell I don't like CLC systems? :D

Back