• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ivy Bridge review (By tweaktown)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have heard REALLY positive things about memory performance on IB, so I wouldn't discard that off the bat.

Also, I've met Cameron and Chris from Tweaktown, and I trust their editorial integrity... I think they try to produce good stuff and they wouldn't publish a review that is fudged. Also, Shane Baxtor reviewed it, and he wrote the Nvidia 680 piece there, and he tore into Nvidia... He impresses me as a straight shooter.

I'm questioning whether I want IB now that we seen it runs really hot. :-/

there not the first person to say this about IB, so i would trust that is pretty much on the straight and narrow. I am thinking I will probably keep SB for daily desktop useage.

Also, Shane Baxtor reviewed it, and he wrote the Nvidia 680 piece there, and he tore into Nvidia... He impresses me as a straight shooter.

Thanks, I've read some articles from Mr. Baxtor before. I just didn't know anything about his credibility. Straight shooters are what I like. :thup:

I'm questioning whether I want IB now that we seen it runs really hot. :-/

I wouldn't think it would run that hot either... I don't know much about the internals of a processor, but maybe it has something to do with maybe being an engineering sample or something?

supposedly its a early 22nm process problem, that they have had to run a higher voltage to get the tranistors to work initialy so they could meet the release date. So instead of there being a drop in voltage which normally accompanies a process change its stayed about the same, with a higher density of transistors. Atleast thats what i read on one of the reivew pages, i will try to find the link.

found it. http://www.obr-hardware.com/2012/04/why-is-ivy-bridge-hot-power-hunger-and.html

I wouldn't think it would run that hot either... I don't know much about the internals of a processor, but maybe it has something to do with maybe being an engineering sample or something?

I'm putting the blame on the new 3d transistors. ES thermal characteristics at ambient temps are always the same as retail essentially from what I've seen. The trigate transistor is new stuff for Intel though, and I'd say it isn't scaling quite the way they would hope it to when overclocked on air/water. The stock numbers looked legit for temps... it was just the OC'd results that got pretty wild.

However, to me, we get the good coolers and good fans already to do a job... I don't know how much I worry about the temps, so long as the chips don't die. If its happy churning away at 95C, I guess it wouldn't bother me if its kicking the crap out of X79 based chips. That said, their performance tuning plan may not be a bad idea either for these to be on the safe side... Just crank it, and if it dies you got another chip no questions asked.

FWIW, every time I see an article from OBR linked I'm punching myself in the face. That, in contrast, doesn't impress me as much as a straight shooter... Some of his posts read more like lolcat than any sort of actual journalism.

X79 scores horribly in most memory bandwidth tests, the tests aren't optimized for quad channel.

X79 scores horribly in most memory bandwidth tests, the tests aren't optimized for quad channel.

I didn't know that. That begs the question - are apps optimized for quad channel, or is there something about the benchmarks that makes them not represent actual apps in quad channel?

I'm putting the blame on the new 3d transistors. ES thermal characteristics at ambient temps are always the same as retail essentially from what I've seen. The trigate transistor is new stuff for Intel though, and I'd say it isn't scaling quite the way they would hope it to when overclocked on air/water. The stock numbers looked legit for temps... it was just the OC'd results that got pretty wild.

However, to me, we get the good coolers and good fans already to do a job... I don't know how much I worry about the temps, so long as the chips don't die. If its happy churning away at 95C, I guess it wouldn't bother me if its kicking the crap out of X79 based chips. That said, their performance tuning plan may not be a bad idea either for these to be on the safe side... Just crank it, and if it dies you got another chip no questions asked.

I forgot about the new 3d transistors. It's been a while since I've seen it mentioned. Forgot about the turning plan as well as you called it. It's the 1 replacement warranty isn't it? Pay like $25 extra, and then if you kill your chip Intel will replace it for free just once?

As far as IB Z77 giving an SB-E X79 platform a whooping... I didn't think Intel would let it beat their flagship consumer stuff. If there will be a new IB-E line, then I hope we would see the tables turned once again. What's you opinion on that as well?

It's definitely interesting to read. Makes you wonder if it's worth going for Ivy when you can overclock a SB to get very similar performance with much better/safer temps and pay less fr it to boot!

+1 for AIDA64 being horribad for quad channel testing... Even SB dual channel beats the crap out of it.

It's definitely interesting to read. Makes you wonder if it's worth going for Ivy when you can overclock a SB to get very similar performance with much better/safer temps and pay less fr it to boot!

According to another Tweaktown article posted after that IB review (8 hours ago). Here are some IB prices. They have already been cut before it's even released. So IB will be cheaper than it's SB counterpart.

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/23564...x.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

I forgot about the new 3d transistors. It's been a while since I've seen it mentioned. Forgot about the turning plan as well as you called it. It's the 1 replacement warranty isn't it? Pay like $25 extra, and then if you kill your chip Intel will replace it for free just once?

As far as IB Z77 giving an SB-E X79 platform a whooping... I didn't think Intel would let it beat their flagship consumer stuff. If there will be a new IB-E line, then I hope we would see the tables turned once again. What's you opinion on that as well?

it will probably beat it, its not that strange, x79 has been out for what 4-5 months? Look at the 2600k's when they came out, they trounced the 980-990x's in alot of things. You have to remember that they only out perform the other platform under higher levels of overclocking most of the time. Part of the reason they got worked over so hard to is that they are 6 core chips with a lower clock and more power consumption compared to a 4 core chip with optimized power consumption and superior voltage control.

The biggest things the 990x's did better compared to SB was memory performance (due to higher memory speeds and IMC performance) and more I/O in the form of PCIE bandwith. So if you where running mutiple graphics cards you often saw superior performance out of them compared to the SB's. However the rest of the time the SB pretty much spanked it, Its performance per thread was vastly superior.

Its very likely that we are gonna see the same thing with ivy bridge. You also need to remember there are new chips coming out for x79 very shortly aswell that should yeild better performance for that platform and keep things more competative between the two.

According to another Tweaktown article posted after that IB review (8 hours ago). Here are some IB prices. They have already been cut before it's even released. So IB will be cheaper than it's SB counterpart.

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/23564...x.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

I linked the prices earlier as well, from VR-Zone Chinese who posted it first I believe - not that it matters, my point is that I looked at those, and those are channel pricing. Retail will be higher than sandybridge currently, but IB will be less than $350 it looks like.

Good thread by the way, I have no idea why this conversation didn't start until now. :D

it will probably beat it, its not that strange, x79 has been out for what 4-5 months? Look at the 2600k's when they came out, they trounced the 980-990x's in alot of things.

Its very likely that we are gonna see the same thing with ivy bridge. You also need to remember there are new chips coming out for x79 very shortly aswell that should yeild better performance for that platform and keep things more competative between the two.

I didn't know that the 2600k's beat the 980-990x's when it first launched. I'm still new to Intel. I've been using AMD for the past 6-7 years, and have only been keeping up with their news. Although, it's the other way around now that I moved to the color blue.

I figured there would be an IB-E chip. I just haven't seen anything on it's lineup yet.

I linked the prices earlier as well, from VR-Zone Chinese who posted it first I believe - not that it matters, my point is that I looked at those, and those are channel pricing. Retail will be higher than sandybridge currently, but IB will be less than $350 it looks like.

Good thread by the way, I have no idea why this conversation didn't start until now. :D

Do you think SB will drop in price much after the launch?

When I posted "Nobody has anything to say?" I was really thinking "This thread has over 100 views, and it's been up all day. Do people really hate me that much?" :rofl:

Thanks, I've wanted to post a lot of similar threads but people always beat me to it. Makes me feel... :rain:

Its probably everyones home from work at this point and is to lazy to go out, and have some booze in hand, and are to lazy to throw hardware together.

Do you think SB will drop in price much after the launch?

Maybe a bit, but often times Intel doesn't budge prices a whole lot. Look how much a 990X costs currently at newegg. (1K+) But with microcenter selling 2600k for $200 on special now, there very well could be some more deals coming later.

Back