• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newegg's Eggxpert Review Program

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That is officially the most expensive item I've seen up for review. I could use a better printer... this $15 POS my girlfriend picked up from work likes to cut pages in half. :p

at least yours prints, mine just takes the page, smears ink all over it then gets jammed
the ink is very cheap for this printer, $10-20 for all 4 color carts which is a relief considering my current lexmark costs almost $80 for a set

Printers are an investment like a power supply. You'll regret going cheap. I got myself an office-size color laser, and am finding it hard to resist upgrading the memory just because that slot is there taunting me.

Last edited:
True that. I just mentioned it to my girlfriend and didn't even give a good description and she asked "Is it an HP? Must be the new 8630."

She works at Staples. :D

she is a big girl
DSC02317_zps5090a8aa.jpg~original

she is a big girl

I like 'em that way. :drool:

Er... uh... So they got on an external-storage kick, huh? :D

5TB external? Geez! I don't even think I have 5TB total storage including my old "retired" drives and any externals I have!

5TB USB 3.0 external HDD incoming.

If that's the seagate Backup plus there seems to be inconsistency in the reviews, Newegg 2 eggs, Bestbuy 5 stars. I have 4x4TB in an external array and I suspect that will be the biggest size disk I ever buy, the time and cost of replacing 4TB of data is a pain... should it happen!

it is indeed the backup plus and yeah I read the bad reviews on newegg before accepting it. I havent had a chance to look elsewhere yet. But will this weekend. I dont have it yet so cant really say if its good or bad yet lol.

Unfortunately Amazon lump all the Backup Plus drives together for the sake of the reviews, so most of those are for other drive capacities.

What's up guys? New to this forum, however I have been in the EggXpert review program since its inception, which was back in June of 2012. I was one of the first members actually. Though the program has had it's issues, overall it has been a success and that's the reason it's still around today. While I understand the issues some of the experienced hardware reviewers have with the program, I believe there are some misconceptions about it. The products we review are not meant to be dissected meticulously (e.g. capacitor quality, solder joint quality, ripple, etc..). Instead, the reviews we post are just meant to augment the standard reviews that end-users have been posting on Newegg's website for years. Newegg wants their customers to have detailed accounts of how the products function in a typical environment. The common end-user doesn't have the equipment or knowhow to test ripple on a PSU, nor do they understand the process that goes into it. They just want to know certain things, like if the PSU will be compatible with all their chosen hardware, or they may want to make sure it's rated to sufficiently power their system, or how loud it is while gaming, etc... Newegg also wants the reviews written in a way that the common end-user can understand and relate to. While some experts may view this as a "disservice" to the customer, I disagree. In fact, overloading their brains with a lot of information that they don't understand can be a disservice to some. Not everyone has the will or the mind to learn all the inner workings of a PSU or MOBO, but that doesn't mean they can't use one. Seeing as they have a lot of hardware to choose from, a detailed review that's written in a way they can relate to can actually be very helpful to them. Power users already know to look elsewhere for the information they crave (that's where the pros come in).

I have received a plethora of products in my time in the program. Most of which have been networking gear. This is because networking hardware has been submitted into the program more frequently than any other type of product.

Somewhere along the lines I was sent the new agreement that stated some of the products may have to be returned after I review them, however I have never actually had to return a product. After I signed the agreement, Newegg would specify whether or not I could keep the product BEFORE I accepted it. However, they have stopped doing this, which makes me question whether or not the agreement still applies. All I know is they haven't asked me to send anything back to them. Newegg also used to send me a shipping notice, however the last 5-10 products I have received came with no shipping notice. Now all I get is the initial email with the assignment. If I accept it, the product shows up at my door without so much as a peep from Newegg.

A few days ago I received an HP Officejet Pro 8610 Printer, which retails for $199 on their website right now. This is very similar to the printer that Joe88 just received, however it's a couple steps down in the series. On paper this is a very nice printer and I was looking forward to testing it. Unfortunately, it arrived completely DOA. I was blown away by this, because there is no visible damage to the product whatsoever. It's simply dead and I have no idea how it could have left the factory that way. I notified Newegg but haven't heard back yet. I really hope they can send me out a new one, because I can't RMA through HP seeing as this is a review sample and I don't have a proof of purchase.

A few of the products I have received were actually fairly expensive. So far, this is the most expensive product I have been offered: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...17&Tpk=My Book Thunderbolt Duo 4TB Dual-Drive

Sadly I had to decline it as I don't have any hardware with Thunderbolt connections. Anyway, I look forward to testing more hardware. Congrats to those of you that were invited to the program. Happy testing!

Last edited:
Welcome slamscaper! :welcome: It might be worth contacting HP. After all, if you sent out a product for review, would you want the reviewers reporting any DOAs?

Thanks for the welcoming. I emailed Newegg about this DOA printer the day before yesterday but I still haven't heard back from them. I wanted to hear what they have to say about it before I go the route of contacting HP. If Newegg tells me they can't do anything about it, I'm gonna contact HP and tell them the whole story. Perhaps they will want to replace the unit in order to prevent me from posting a scathing review on Newegg's website. This is an opportunity for them to show their integrity as a company. If customers hear they won't replace a DOA review sample, that's only going to hurt their image even more. At least that's the way I see it.

I'm just really let down over this one. I was looking forward to testing this printer. On paper it seems to be excellent and fully featured. Hopefully I'll be able to get this sorted eventually...

Well I ended up sending the Egg another email since I hadn't yet received a response from the first one. They finally responded today with this:

Thank you for sending us another email. We apologize for the inconvenience, we thought we had replied to your initial email.

We currently do not have any more of that item in stock to send out to you. However, we suggest contacting HP and to tell them you are an EggXpert with Newegg.com and explain your situation. If they can resolve the problem by trouble shooting it or by sending you a new one, then you can write a review on it. If they are unable to help, we can offer you a new item to review instead.

Once again, we apologize for the inconvenience and really appreciate your part in the EggXpert program.

If they are unable to assist you just let us know and we will offer you a new item.

Sincerely,

EggXpert Review

Kind of what I expected... So it'll be all up to HP now. We'll see how committed they are to supplying a high quality product. At least the Egg is ready to offer me another product right away... That said, I really want to test this printer and who's to say the Egg will send me another printer. The new assignment could be for any product, most likely something I'm not to keen on reviewing (seems to be luck as of late, lol).

Okay another update... I was actually able to get a hold of an HP service rep last night through their live chat system. Amazingly they offer this support 24/7 (it was 2am when I started my session), which is actually pretty convenient.

After he suggested some VERY basic troubleshooting steps, all of which I had already tried, he finally came to the conclusion the the unit needs serviced. So he asked me where I purchased it. That's when I told him that I didn't purchase it and that I'm a hardware reviewer for Newegg.com. I explained that I'm trying to get a working unit before submitting my review. As soon as I said that, he stated that they were going to send me a brand new unit free of charge.

So I gave em my info and I'm just waiting on a call now, which could be anywhere from 24-48 hours (the rep said he would try to expedite the process for me). Once they call me, I have to give them my credit card info and they'll send me a new unit right away. Along with the replacement unit, they'll send a prepaid shipping label so I can send the defective unit back to them. They only want the credit card info as a security measure, just to make sure I actually send them the defective unit. I can understand that, because otherwise how do they know I'm not just lying to get a free printer. It would be different if I had a proof of purchase.

Anyway, so far it's looking pretty good. It seems HP is prepared to do the right thing. I will let you guys know how it goes from here. Hopefully they'll contact me promptly and I won't have any issues getting the replacement unit sent out. It'll be nice to finally review this product.

EDIT* I'm happy to report that they called me this morning. I gave them all the relevant info and they are gonna ship out the replacement today. I should have it by the 12th! Kudos to HP for getting things moving along so quickly. Now he did tell me that they are shipping me a brand new unit. However, one thing that bummed me out is that he also said that none of the accessories will come with it, including the ink cartridges. These ink cartridges are hella-expensive ($115 on Amazon for the complete set) so it would have been nice to have an extra set, but I'm just being selfish when I say that I guess. I just assumed they were sending a complete unopened product when I was told it would be brand new, which would include the ink and everything. From what I read this printer won't work with just the black ink cartridge inserted, which means you're gonna have to drop the cash on the ink no matter what.

Last edited:
Back