• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4670k + msi z97

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

noob_smoke

Registered
I can't get these 2 to overclock together. I have the i5-4670k and MSI z97 gaming-5 motherboard.

I use the OC-genie and it overclocks to 4ghz w/ ram @ 2000mhz. when I disable the OC-Genie and set a overclock, it skips the bios screen, boots right to my RAID0 then after that windows should show up, but it goes to a black screen and on the bottom right it says "A6" or something like that. Just sits there and does nothing, wont boot up.

I tried 3 different youtube videos with people who have the same processor / motherboard. Using there exact settings. For example last settings I used were 44x = 4.4ghz, cpu core volt 1.140, cpu ratio fixed. Would not boot up, then It won't give me a option to enter the bios, skips straight to my RAID0.

Then I have to take the battery off my motherboard and put it back in to get default settings back. :bang head

Every piece of hardware will be different from another unfortunately. First, dtop the RAM to 1333 or 1600 then set the CPU voltage to around 1.25 and see if that improves and will at least let you POST/Load windows without BSOD.

okay, before i do that though. is there a better way to reset my settings other than the battery? because it's difficult to get to because my video card is blocking it. pain to get it out.

There is usually a 2 or 3-pin jumper somewhere on motherboards(in some cases a button). Refer to your manual to find where it is placed, it will be labeled under CMOS jumper.

ok i see the jumper next to the battery. if my pc wont boot up what do i do? it's just 2 pins.

ok i see the jumper next to the battery. if my pc wont boot up what do i do? it's just 2 pins.
Since its just the 2-pin design all you do is place a jumper on while power is off(psu also unplugged) for about 20 seconds and remove it. If that does not work go back to the battery method.

i dont know where my jumper is, maybe inside the box.

but i reset my bios to default, then it put my ram @ like 1066? i think + the 44x 4.4ghz, cpu ratio fixed mode, core voltage @ 1.250 and it booted. what should i do next? should i run a stability test or should i aim for higher? then run stability? should i try to up my ram first? the xmp profile for 2000mhz was stable w/ my 4.0 oc-genie clock.

2m of LinX shows my temp @ 73c max on my highest core, on core temp. i dont think my fan is at its full speed, i could manually put it higher. its pretty quiet right now.

thanks for the links, i will read them in a bit. I did 45m of aida64 with a 4.5ghz and 2,000mhz ram settings. my temps hit 70c at highest with my fans at full speed. i will leave the benchmark on overnight. but for now im going to play dayz. i will let you guys know if its stable or not.

Honestly I would look for better cooling of that CPU myself. I dont even like it when they hit 60C but that's personal preference. Best of luck on your adventures!

i have not bothered with stability test yet unfortunately, but yesterday night when gaming before bed. I was heavily multi tasking and playing Dayz. I got my first BSOD error message: 0x124

when i googled it said "0x124 = increase/decrease QPI/VTT first,"

i been using the pc today and no problems, with all the usual games and tasks. i even streamed on twitchtv for 3 hours which puts a big load onto the processor. no bsod yet.

should i add voltage and test with aida64? i am @ 4.5ghz and 1.25v + 70c is my max temp ever hit with aida64.

yes, give vtt a small bump at a time and game it in the game you had the bsod.
still watch the temps.

dont know how to update my sig info, i see in my profile where its at but no edit button or anything.

as for stability when i run aida64 it blackscreens and my pc restarts no bsod. im assuming its the same thing right? i guess i will add more voltage but how much? im @ 1.25 so what should i add 1.30v?

anyways i will try to reply tomorrow.

I would suggest adding 0.0125 I believe is the setting, rinse and repeat afterwards for stability.

dont know how to update my sig info, i see in my profile where its at but no edit button or anything.

as for stability when i run aida64 it blackscreens and my pc restarts no bsod. im assuming its the same thing right? i guess i will add more voltage but how much? im @ 1.25 so what should i add 1.30v?

anyways i will try to reply tomorrow.
USER CP-> on the left side is EDIT SIGNATURE. :thup:

LOL, do not add 1.3v that would blow the chip up. Now, .1, sure... but as Mags said, you should really bump it up in the smallest of increments... .0125 or w/e and go from there.

USER CP-> on the left side is EDIT SIGNATURE. :thup:

LOL, do not add 1.3v that would blow the chip up. Now, .1, sure... but as Mags said, you should really bump it up in the smallest of increments... .0125 or w/e and go from there.

haha, good thing i waited. i have not had much with to sit with the pc and mess with it. i will let you guys know if its stable on the weekend.

I got my first BSOD error message: 0x124

Did Windows log a bus error? If it did, increase the equivalent of bus termination voltage.
(It's called FSB termination voltage on Asus socket 775) (I dunno about post-Penryn bus architectures.)

Back