• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking i5 4670k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fsxsimmer472

Registered
Hi guys

Im looking to overclock my i5 4670k 3.4 GHZ turbo 3.9Ghz. Are there any guides or people who can help me on how to overclock my CPU to either 4.2 ghz or 4.4 ghz and also so that it is stable and will not BSOD.

My specs

MSI Z87-G43
Core i5 4670k
GTX 760 OC GPU
2TB Seagate HDD
8GB Ram
Windows 8.1

Welcome FSX!

In my signature is a link to overclocking Haswell CPUs. Its a bit in depth, but definitely something you should look at.

Before you start, what cooler do you have on the CPU?

In a nutshell though, you will want to start your voltage out at 1.25v and set your multiplier to 4.4GHz and see if it boots. If it does, try to stress test it (Prime 95 small FFT). Keep temps at/under 90C. If it freezes/cores drop, add .025 more volts and see how it does. If it works fine for a while, try lowering the voltage the same amount.

Corsair Hydro H60 Watercooling, I just tried the MSI OC genie it had my cpu running at ugh with 61 degree and then in BSOD

Vcore 1.3V

set XMP profile for AI-tweaking if you are in ASUS boards.
then just sync core multiplier to x40.

you should get an easy 4.0Ghz

though to get a better voltage, you will need to do manual tuning.

Cpu core voltage mode set to manual or override. And then set a value below it.

1.3v is WAY too high for 4ghz....curious recommendation...

Cpu core voltage mode set to manual or override. And then set a value below it.

1.3v is WAY too high for 4ghz....curious recommendation...

yes because the 3 4670k I had all did around 1.25 for 4.5ghz.
And yes I now not all are the same, but to start at 1.3v for a speed of 4.0ghz is to high, not that it will hurt.

The H60 is a bit underpowered for this kind of endeavor. I don't think you'll get much past 4.2-4.4 on it. Still, if that's good enough for you, that's great.
Do read the guide. It's important that you understand what you're doing rather than just listening to "in a nutshell, do this" posts. That's just my opinion.

4.2 or 4.4 is what I'm aiming for :). I don't know how to set the values in my bios OC page it is different from the one in the overclocking guide ?

Fsxsimmer472, please attach images directly with your posts rather than linking them. There is a built in forum tool for doing this. Click on Go Advanced and then click on the little paperclip tool.

Well I overclocked my pc tried 4.4 ghz first and stress tested but the cpu temps was between 70-80. I then tried 4.2ghz the temps came down closer to 70 but I restored to default settings becasue I don't want my CPU to burn at 80-80 degree temps ?

Well I overclocked my pc tried 4.4 ghz first and stress tested but the cpu temps was between 70-80. I then tried 4.2ghz the temps came down closer to 70 but I restored to default settings becasue I don't want my CPU to burn at 80-80 degree temps ?

80 degrees is warm but its fine. It won't damage the CPU.

Keep in mind that real world temps, especially in FSX, which doesn't use more than 2 threads (might even be 1?) afaik, your temps will be MUCH lower.

Example: at 4.8Ghz I was getting 75-85 stress testing in P95 and IBT. In gaming I rarely went over 60. Often 55. Don't be paranoid.

You can easily run 4.2Ghz all day on that cooler. If you get a cooler with some actual testes to it you can go much higher.

What voltage were you using in bios and what did it read as in Windows both under load and not under load? Screenshots are helpful.

You should NOT have your voltage on auto. That's dangerous. Bios can apply too much voltage if you aren't careful. In this case it doesn't look like it did though.

Follow the guide. Set your voltage manually. There is also some cache optimization that can be done on Haswell that you should do. It's in the guide AFAIK. There are also other guides on the internet, especially youtube, where if you're lucky, you can see someone playing with the exact same bios on the exact same motherboard, or at least, something very close to it.

We need to see screenshots of not only the bios, but also in windows. Run P95 Blend mode. Bring up CPU-Z, HWMonitor and Coretemp. Take also a screen shot of these without prime running with the system at idle load. The voltage will differ between 100% load and 0% load and it's good for us to see what it's at.

Have you set the RAM on your system up properly? Did you enter the timings and voltage manually or did you use the XMP profile? Make sure you do this before you tweak your CPU.

Im getting 70 degree temps on CPU. Should I drop voltage down to a lower value ie 1.00 ?

Back