• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

External USB3 drive becomes unavailable

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
As the title states, I have a USB3 based external HDD and after a short time (maybe 5-10 minutes, its not the same) the drive will become unavailable. It will do it idle, or in the middle of transferring a large file. Its been on multiple boards and multiple USB3 ports/drivers/motherboards but still the same behavior. Any suggestions to get this thing to stay on so I can leave it on and transfer large files to it?

I guess I can test it by going directly to SATA and seeing if its the enclosure in the meantime...

Thanks!

Is it overheating? Other than that I would expect a failed drive or enclosure.

Try disaambling the enclosure so that the HDD area is not covered. This will keep heat teh drive generates from cooking the controller.

Nope... doesnt get warm at all and tried with the shell 1/2 open to expose the drive.

No clue... after googling to figure out what the heck that is, I will check tonight.

That said, I have the power options set to performance, not sure if that disables that suspend setting.

No clue... after googling to figure out what the heck that is, I will check tonight.

That said, I have the power options set to performance, not sure if that disables that suspend setting.

Ahh, you may still have to go advanced and tell it to stop doing that. I do that already since I have other USB devices that require it.

I doubt that will fix it, but it might. Before 7 I never had to do it...great suggestion Psyko

UPDATE: Making that change did not help. It still dropped after a few minutes. I took teh drive out and connected it to straight up sata and the drive just acts WEIRD. It hoses up my explorer most of the time.. appears to index EVERY time you hit the drive (that green bar when you double click on the drive)...

I think the drive is going bad. Sad part is, I dont think it EVER worked right. I just thought, for a year or so, that it was the enclosure. I bought it used here too I think... oh well. "throw it in the gutter, and go buy another!"

Necro on my own thread.. the HDD was dieing. Got another... or two. All is well.

Back