• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

It's time to return the favor to our SETI brothers!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LandShark

Super Shark Moderator
guys/gals, I've just got this msg from Eagle 'bout their upcoming International SETI Race and he wanna see if any of our folding brother could offer a hand?! remember our SETI brothers had offered a great help on our Monkey Race, so, may be it's a good time to return the favor!!

Cross Project Race Opportunity
A group of SETI Crunchers joined in the Folding quest for the golden monkey (is that the right name?). And the Folders expressed an interest/willingness to return the favor for the next SETI race.

An international SETI race is being scheduled for November 4-18. Would you be interested in coordinating the Folders under a single user name for this race?

Link: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=529646

if you are interested in helping them (or returning the favor), just go to the above thread for further detail! (I'll be in for sure! ;) )

if we have enough folder to join in, may be we all can crunch under one account? e.g. OCFoldingTeam??

Two week race? Sure.

Can we start now? I can't get the new linux client to work fer nuttin. :shrug:

Ned, the SETI race won't start until November, so tell me what's going on with your linux client install.

What steps did you take, and what messages are you seeing?

We'll get this sorted out, no worries.

LS you can count me it ... i will put in 1 less quad than you do ... unless of course i have overtaken you by then :D
... in which case i will put in 1 more quad than you do :)

Just make it easy for us seti noobs to get going.

Two week race? Sure.

Can we start now? I can't get the new linux client to work fer nuttin. :shrug:

No your can't !

I just posted to your problem thread.

I guess that may have earned me a :beer: :)

Actually the BOINC client is dead easy to set up.

And for crunching name, (OCFoldingTeam was suggested by LS), you will need a password that all of you know to get on the Seti team under the same username. And one thing you will notice is that the Seti stats are much nicer than F@H; you can track each individual computer on your account. This is especially nice for me while at work because I can see right away if a machine goes down and which one it is.

EDIT: Seti is also not nearly as rough on internet bandwidth as F@H too. Your downloads are somewhere between 250-500 kilobytes and uploads are usually less than 50 kilobytes.

I'll get my farm crunching ;)

2 x e6400's
2 x 2.33 p4
1 x 1.2 duron
1 x 400mhz p2 :)beer:)

Laptop is offline :(

As of right now I couldn't offer much help but things may be different come Nov 4 so I will contribute what I can.

Seti is also not nearly as rough on internet bandwidth as F@H too. Your downloads are somewhere between 250-500 kilobytes and uploads are usually less than 50 kilobytes.

I will have to be careful then that i don't raise my son's expectations of available bandwidth too much ... he has finally stopped complaining to me when 2 or 3 (or more) clients do a 10-30 mb upload on my adsl connection and he loses a server connection during a heated game :D

LS you can count me it ... i will put in 1 less quad than you do ... unless of course i have overtaken you by then :D
... in which case i will put in 1 more quad than you do :)

Just make it easy for us seti noobs to get going.

lol....at the current rate, you'll have to put at least 2 more quad than me in order to even out!! or give me some breathing room... :p

yeah, I think when time gets closer, the SETI team should post up some n00b setup guide for most of us! oh Mud or Eagle, can you PM me as to how to create a new account?? you know it's been sooooo long since I've created an account. :p

I'll help establish your account and I reccomend that the login data for that account be shared only by PM. (Because the password allows for changing of preferences that apply to all clients that connect). I can also assist with installation and upgrading support on the windows side. For *nix we'll need somebody else with knowledge in that area.

Back