• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which 360 Racing Game and Misc?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

satandole666

I'm looking at getting a racing game for my 360. I didn't get Forza 2 bundled but I found it for <$10 online brand new. I played the original Gotham Racing game for the Xbox and wasn't thrilled with it. I was hopelessly addicted to the Gran Turismo series so something with that level of realism or better is preferred.

So, what game should I get? I'm open to any suggestions. Also...

What steering wheel should I look into getting? Price is somewhat of an issue right now so bang for the buck or even used will be heavy factors.

Lastly, is there any other wireless device I can use to get my 360 online? No way in hell I'm going to pay $100 for wireless when my $250 came with it at no extra. I might end up getting the router moved to the living room, but if not I need another option.

Thanks.

Forza 2 is definately what you're looking for if you want realism. As for wireless adapters, the original Xbox one works perfectly and is considerably cheaper.

+1 for Forza 2. I have not played any 360 racing games that equal it.
Lets be clear though, Forza does not come close to the GT series on the PS3 :)

Owning both the 360 and PS3 when I get in the mood for a racing game I jump on my PS3.

Forza is great but it is not like Gran Turismo. Forza is much more realistic and better IMO even though Gran Turismo 5 is like 10x prettier. For a more Gran Turismo like experience PGR4 is like that and if you don't like it any better than 3 (btw I thought PGR3 was better) then I'm hearing REALLY nice things about GRID.

Are you looking for a sim, or arcade?

Sim game.

Thanks for the heads up on the original Xbox adapter and the Linksys one. I'll definitely be grabbing one of those soon.

I'll probably pick up Forza 2 from half.com for $10 and see what happens. Now I need to find a place to buy the wheel cheap.

How's the online play in Forza 2?

Forza is great but it is not like Gran Turismo. Forza is much more realistic and better IMO even though Gran Turismo 5 is like 10x prettier.

I pretty much agree with this.

I played GT 1 & 2 tons and tons, then trailed off on them as it got kinda repetitive. The biggest advantage of the GT games anymore tends to be the big-budget-ness of it...lots and lots of cars and nice graphics in a psuedo-sim racer package.

Anymore, I've gravitated towards the Forza series more because of the somewhat more realistic and more sim like gameplay.

I pretty much agree with this.

I played GT 1 & 2 tons and tons, then trailed off on them as it got kinda repetitive. The biggest advantage of the GT games anymore tends to be the big-budget-ness of it...lots and lots of cars and nice graphics in a psuedo-sim racer package.

Anymore, I've gravitated towards the Forza series more because of the somewhat more realistic and more sim like gameplay.

I rented the demo last week and the cars finally drive more realisticly, there is still no damage, the in-car view is ASTOUNDING as is the scenery and the cars all sound nice too. The thing that got me is that you needed certain cars to run certain races and that meant that in order to get the credits to buy them you essentially had to pick the race that had the highest $$$ to easiest win ratio and run that race 10-20 times just to buy a car to run one race with. Wortless repetition IMO.

Fudge, if you are talking about Forza2, I ran across a guide for the Career mode that gives you an order to run the races that will give you every car you will need to do the entire Career. I am at Level 23 and I have never bought a car yet. I think it was at IGN but am not sure. I can look it up when I get home if someone wants it.

Sim game.

Thanks for the heads up on the original Xbox adapter and the Linksys one. I'll definitely be grabbing one of those soon.

I'll probably pick up Forza 2 from half.com for $10 and see what happens. Now I need to find a place to buy the wheel cheap.

How's the online play in Forza 2?

The online play in forza 2 is the best part about it. Really the singleplayer is just practice for it.

Fudge, if you are talking about Forza2, I ran across a guide for the Career mode that gives you an order to run the races that will give you every car you will need to do the entire Career. I am at Level 23 and I have never bought a car yet. I think it was at IGN but am not sure. I can look it up when I get home if someone wants it.

No, I was talking about Gran Turismo 5. Forza2 doesn't suffer from the repetitively run races just for credits to buy a car for another race syndrome. While certain cars are required for certain races, in Forza2 I always had enough credits just running regular races to buy what I needed and never had to credit-mine tracks in Forza like you have to in GT5.... I hate that.

I rented the demo last week and the cars finally drive more realisticly, there is still no damage, the in-car view is ASTOUNDING as is the scenery and the cars all sound nice too. The thing that got me is that you needed certain cars to run certain races and that meant that in order to get the credits to buy them you essentially had to pick the race that had the highest $$$ to easiest win ratio and run that race 10-20 times just to buy a car to run one race with. Wortless repetition IMO.

Yeah, car handling has progressively gotten better. I'm not ready to judge GT5 just on the prologue, though. There's a lot of combinations of cars, upgrades, and such situations that will be in the final game that we haven't seen yet. We'll find out how consistently good/bad they end up being in the final game.

The lack of a damage system is something that continues to bother me about the GT games. Real racing places a high premium on not swapping paint with other racers. After all, any more than an incidental bump will frequently result in a DNF. People have to drive conservatively, and a person has to be very good to get away with driving aggressively. GT racing actually rewards bumping, so long as a person knows how to game the system to their advantage. Then, this also starts putting a large importance on bump/collision physics…which are often kinda wild - sometimes to compensate for a lack of damage system. Also, the AI needs to drive very aggressively and not be afraid of bumping in order to be competitive with real racers…which results in unrealistic AI that forces the player to race in dangerously aggressive fashions. Such a simple thing as "I better be careful or I might wreck my car" completely changes the dynamic of the race and gameplay.

I also didn't particularly like the credit mining that is typically associated with GT games. To a point, I like working for things and getting rewards, but eventually it does get very time consuming and repetitive/boring.

I think the in-car views are the most valuable addition to the series… But, I would have rather had a good damage system first.

Back