• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BitTorrent 6.1

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dusnoetos

Well I have decided to jump on the "torrent" bandwagen... (since I found a download I wanted that was only a torrent).
I downloaded the "BitTorrent 6.1" program - is that OK or should I look at some other program??

First and for-most have I set my self up for failure????
After a quick search for Torrent info on this site I found mixed and odd results.

Can any one give me any real info please...
I have read that BitTorrent can slow things down and/or mess with Internet settings.

BTW i have a Actiontec GT701-WG DSL modem/router hooked to a NETGEAR FS108 8 port switch. (with Quest DSL 3MB service)

Original client sucks. Ditch it.

µtorrent - seems defacto, low resource usage
Azureus - recently changed to the much crappier name of Vuze, much more resource intensive, but has some lovely plugins and extra features over utorrent...I can spare the extra 100MB of RAM (it's cheap :p) over µtorrent
Halite - up and coming, open source, low resource client (below that of µtorrent, even)

Some more here;
µTorrent [v1.5.1 - Available for Windows 2000/XP/2003]
Arctic Torrent [v1.2.3 - Available for Windows 2000/XP/2003]
Azureus [v2.4.0.2, – Available for Windows, Linux, and MacOS X]
BitComet [v0.63 – Available for Windows 98/ME/2000/XP/2003]
BitLord [v1.1 – Available for Windows 95/98/NT/2000/XP]
BitPump [v1.0 - Available for Windows]
BitTornado [v0.3.15 – Available for Windows, Linux, BSD, MacOS X]

It has been said that BitTorrent causes latency.

OK...
Why does it suck.

Generally, better clients like mutorrent offer many more options for your download/uploads -- so in that respect, they're faster and more efficient. They also offer better GUIs and customized stuff like being able to download different chunks at different speeds.

Torrent-ing is super popular on the web. Try using google -- there's bound to be many sites and threads comparing the different options.

uTorrent is written in C++, is Windows-only, and is designed to be small and fast. Personally, I don't like it. Not enough built-in features, and the interface is too oriented to your average "point, click, download mp3, play mp3" user. The "official" BitTorrent client looks like a renamed/reversioned uTorrent to me.

Azureus (now Vuze) is written in Java 1.5, and will run on any system that Java runs on (assuming said system has the required CPU/RAM). It can take quite a bit of RAM, but ignore the java-hate-zealots. For the features it offers, the memory usage (on my system, XP Home, with one torrent downloading and one seeding, less than 50MB memory) is worth it. There are many available plugins, and the UI is (I use the "classic", not Vuze, interface), IMHO, vastly better than any other client. I have occasionally run >20 torrents at once with no issues.

BitTornado, last I used it (years ago), was the simplest, no interface but point, click, download, very minimal options.

I would recommend against using BitLord/BitComet/Bit-WTF-etc. Most of them don't properly implement the BitTorrent protocol, and leave hanging connections all over the place, wasting resources for both you and whichever tracker(s) you're connected to. Many come with malware, and I wouldn't be surprised if some are RIAA/MPAA/MediaSentry drones.

+1 For uTorrent. It downloads, it uploads, it allows you to restrict download and upload speeds based on the time of day and lets me turn the computer off when it finishes downloading. What more could I want?

Back