• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem with ASUS Warranty Service (courtesy Fry's)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xyyz2000

i'd avoid Asus like the plague. not only do they do not honor full warranties on open box items, they place no importance on the customer.

i bought an M4A79T Deluxe MB that was an open-box from Frys'. Frys' stated that the motherboard had the FULL manufacturer's warranty.

well guess what, the item stopped working, and suddenly Asus decided that they only wanted to offer a 90-day warranty on the product.

if you look on their website, they do not state that open-box motherboards motherboards have a 90-day warranty.

http://service.asus.com/commercial/InfoPage.aspx?rid=15

it shows several non-MB products and states that open box products have a 90-day warranty, but there's no mention of motherboards.

and don't bother trying to explain this to Asus; they do not care, and if you try to explain things to them, they WILL BLOCK your email address. here's proof:

-------------------------

Unfortunately based on your invoice your are still out of warranty. This was an open box purchase so it only carried a 90 day warranty. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Krisenda
ASUS Tech Support/L2

Thank you for your response. My supervisor did reviewed your case and it has been classified as an open-box unit with the 90 days warranty from the date of purchase. Again, I do apologize for your inconvenience.

Thank you,

Aaron L
ASUS Customer Care Team

Sorry, we were unable to deliver your message to the following address.

<[email protected]>:
Remote host said: 550 #5.1.0 Address rejected. [RCPT_TO]

If ASUS said that open-box items have a 90 day warranty, that implys that all open-box items have a 90-day warranty. In this case, it sounds like Fry's screwed up by giving you bad information, not ASUS. If they just said manufacture's warranty however, that would still be referring to the 90-day warranty.

They might have a separate email address from where they send emails and where they receive emails.

I see no foul moves on ASUS' part here. It's just a risk you take with open box products.

hmmm, doesn't seem like Asus is to blame here. Try taking it back to Fry's to see what they say since they claim it had a warranty when it was only 90 day... but more than likely your SOL. always a chance with open box items :(

Actually, they don't even have to honor a three month warranty on an open-box product. If you check out the refurbished warranty page, it says:

"* Reduced price online auctions of used items, "open-box" items, or items sold "as-is" do not feature an ASUS Standard Warranty or an ASUS Certified Refurbished Warranty"

+1 to the others; this is a Fry's problem, not an ASUS problem. Fry's mislead you, probably not intentionally, but they did.

I changed the topic of your thread to one that's more appropriate and less emotional-response oriented.

EDIT - I've also deleted your post in someone else's thread. They had their own problem with ASUS and it seemed legitimate. Yours, however, is not a problem with ASUS. Please refrain from posting the same post everywhere you can that happens to be related to an ASUS product warranty, especially considering this case doesn't seem to be their problem.

EDIT II - Make that TWO threads you copied your post into. Now you're logged off, after copying your (what appears to be baseless) complaint to three different threads. This was your first post on this forum. We welcome you as a member and hope you'll stick around, but if you showed up just to make your complaints and leave, rest assured this forum doesn't exist as your own personal complaint department.

Last edited:
fair enough about the multiple posts, point taken, and i will make a legitimate effort in not doing that again.

while i try and get an attorney friend to respond to me about this matter, i'd appreciate anyone explaining this.

with respect for Frys', this is a case of detrimental reliance. i asked them for information before the purchase, they made a claim, based on that claim i acted. their claim appears to be invalid, and as a result i've suffered damages. either way, i am in the process of taking this up with Frys'.

now with Asus, why do they specify per-product? they isolate, tablet, netbook, nettop, all-in-one, notebook, display, optical storage, and desktop products. they do not specify anything about motherboards or video cards. if they do not state anything about the motherboards, but the other products, why does the assumption need to be made that this includes motherboards and video cards?

I think the implication there is that they don't refurbish component parts, so there isn't a need to put them on that page. There are two caveats to every warranty statement on components though:

1 Warranty terms are based on specific model purchased. For exact terms consult your reseller or contact an ASUS representative
* Please consult your ASUS dealer of ASUS Support representative for determination of exact warranty terms offered by your product

As Fry's apparently misled you into thinking you had a warranty you did not, again, the fault seems to solely rest on their shoulders.

Remember, you bought an open box product, not a refurbished. They are two completely different things. Refurbished means it was sent back to the manufacturer. Open box just means it was returned to the retailer and put back on the shelves.

If ASUS said that open-box items have a 90 day warranty, that implys that all open-box items have a 90-day warranty. In this case, it sounds like Fry's screwed up by giving you bad information, not ASUS. If they just said manufacture's warranty however, that would still be referring to the 90-day warranty.

They might have a separate email address from where they send emails and where they receive emails.

I see no foul moves on ASUS' part here. It's just a risk you take with open box products.

i don't believe that the warranties are implied. this is what they state on the following page:

"THIS LIMITED WARRANTY IS IN LIEU OF ALL OTHER WARRANTIES, WHETHER EXPRESS, IMPLIED, OR STATUTORY, AND ASUS SPECIFICALLY DISCLAIMS ANY WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE."

also, they don't list anything under their exclusions section that deal with open-box items.

as for the email, unfortunately, it's not the case. i was corresponding with the contact, Krisenda, directly for a while by replying to emails. now when i reply, that's the error i get.

i don't believe that the warranties are implied. this is what they state on the following page:

"THIS LIMITED WARRANTY IS IN LIEU OF ALL OTHER WARRANTIES, WHETHER EXPRESS, IMPLIED, OR STATUTORY, AND ASUS SPECIFICALLY DISCLAIMS ANY WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE."

also, they don't list anything under their exclusions section that deal with open-box items.

as for the email, unfortunately, it's not the case. i was corresponding with the contact, Krisenda, directly for a while by replying to emails. now when i reply, that's the error i get.

I received the e-mail you sent me, but as Hokie has pointed out, you may be out of luck due to their as-is disclaimer.
I'll be honest, your best bet would be to call them direct and ask them if you have any options. (E-mail correspondence in this situation most likely will simply lead to nowhere.

Fry's customer service # is 1-408-350-1484

Asus's motherboard support's # is 1-812-282-2787

Perhaps Asus will cut you some slack and offer you an at cost replacement or perhaps fix it for low or no cost. Can't hurt to ask :rolleyes:

open box warranties blow the hard one. even if the product has only been out for say 2 months and it normally carries a 1 year warranty, the minute you buy an open box item the warranty is 3 months no if ands or buts.

btw, i love frys!!!! big fan of their no hassle sales team. people there pointed out computers based on specs and reliability and didnt try to push me toward a specific brand based on their commission rates like those jerks at best buy would. :)

Back