• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP! Watercooled Shuttle won't boot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

REDDRUMZ

hello everyone, I installed a watercooled setup into my Shuttle miniPC. My mobo has a built in feature that powers down the computer if the CPU temp reaches 85C and turns on a red overheat light. Well.....when I try to power the system up, it comes on for one second and then powers down and lights the up the overheat led.

Here is my WC Setup:

Tygon Tubing
(3/8 ID 1/2 OD)

Swiftech MCW-5000A
(its seated firmly with AS3)

DangerDen Radeon GPU Block
(seat firmly with AS3)

this pump

this radiator
(with 2 Vantec Stealth fans pulling air through it)

Any Ideas why my CPU would be getting this hot?

it shouldnt get that hot that fast even if there werent any water circulation..

just a though: does it have a fan safe off? like if there isn't cpufan providing steady high enough rpm it shutts off? try hooking up the cpufan to the cpufan bracket and see what it does. if it has this it probably can be put off in the bios.

damn, I came home and tried plugging a fan into the cpufan connector, I still get the same problem :(

take the cpu block off and check the heatsink paste
see if it's making good contact
sounds like the waterblock isn't even touching the CPU

make sure the waterblock isn't upside down :D

may sound stupid, but I admit I did this. Temps were at 60-70C:eek:

Then I took it off and realized what I had done. Oops

jlin453 said:
make sure the waterblock isn't upside down :D

may sound stupid, but I admit I did this. Temps were at 60-70C:eek:

Then I took it off and realized what I had done. Oops

Its not, It has a label on the side of the waterblock that clearly tells you which direction to position it.

When I removed the block, the AS3 was on the waterblock were it was making contact.

If it's not the auto-shut down because of no cpu fan.

Here's a shot in the dark.
If you have a shim take it out, the one I always used would create too much pressure on the cpu and would make the pins loose contact somehow.

Try a different mounting pressure (slightly less/more)

I've mounted waterblocks to much either way and had no-boots.

Lastly... Smell the chip real well... If you smell a burnt smell... The chip is dead! and don't worry about it was last week when it burned up... believe me, you can smell a fried chip MONTHS after it died even after a severe Acetone bath...

Back