• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Eheim 2026 Canister Filter..Good for WC'ing?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

beau_safken

Ok I just took my fish tank apart and am taking a break from the hobby. I have this Eheim 2026 pro 2 laying around doing nothing but calling for me to use it on a WC'ing setup. I am sick and tired of hearing my computer when I start it up. All I want to do is shut this thing up. Right now I am running a 120 x 38mm fan for the heatsink and 2 case fans plus a loud PSU fan and annoying squeeling HD. I want this computer to run silent.

From what I have read the name of the game in watercooling is the head height on a pump. Also this filter has a self-priming mechanism on the pump so almost eliminates air in the lines...hehe. Well you tell me here is the specs.

profii20.jpg

Pump Output: 251 GPH
Delivery Head (wc/ft): 6'7"
Filter Volume: 1.3 gallons
power consumption: 25 watts
Inlet/outlet: 1/2" nipples..hehe

Linky: http://www.eheim.com/pro2.htm

This is a VERY good filter. Almost the best that Eheim produces. This was of course on my freshwater setup but now that I dont have fish I want to see what you guys think about this for a possible WC pump. I wouldnt need a reservoir at all because of the 1.3 gallons this canister filter holds already and the empty baskets inside it create turbulance and will do something I guess...lol.

So tell me what you guys think about this idea. I could use your input please. Also are their any commercially produced waterblocks that could withstand the force this pump can generate? I dont have the tools to make my own blocks atm so thats why I am asking..:(

I think you could use it somehow... Without modifying, at least you would have a really big, fairly powerful external pump. The filter might be significantly restrictive though...

I suspect that buried inside is an ordinary Eheim pump which you could salvage and use independently of the rest of the filter. It might have very nonstandard fittings though... I don't know if you could pull it out without destroying the rest of the unit though. Take it apart and see what's inside.

I have to say, my first instinct upon seeing that picture is to mod the whole unit like crazy. If you took out the filter/canister/whatever, you could probably fit everything you need to watercool in that box. It looks like there might be enough room to fit a heatercore or two with shrouds and fans and a resevoir/fill line somwhere. There might be some way to take advantage of some of the other features, like the "maintainance indicator" flow guage thingie. It would also look pretty cool (a lot spiffier looking than an external WC setup in a rubbermaid box...). Of course, modding like this would be permanent... no way to turn the newly converted external watercooling rig back into a fish tank filter.

And for your last question, just about any commercially made waterblock can take the (relatively low) pressure and flow that thing puts out.

After looking at the spare parts list for this thing, it looks like the pump itself can't be easily seperated from the rest of the system. But it does look like you can set aside all of the filtering assembly and end up with a pump on top of an empty box. You can then fill that box with all you need for an external watercooling box.

[edit]
For anyone else who can come up with some ideas, the parts list is in this somewhat cryptic .pdf file. The 1328 sub-assembly I believe is the pump.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input LazyBratsche, I was thinking about the same thing but I dont want to ruin a 200 dollar canister filter :eek:. I'm gonna have to think about that all in one unit idea though...Kind of a cool idea for sure. :D

it should work ok, actually, it should work really well. can't you just take the filter material out(without damaging the pump)? shouldn't really matter that much if the filter material is there or not though(it should be more powerful than what most people have anyways).

and yeah, the pump is meant to pump water through (relatively) long tubes.. so it should work excellently, and since you have it already what could be better?

The GPH rating would be inclusive of the filter... although the head is sort of low. It should be fine to use, although the filter may get in the way of any anti-corrosive you might use.

beau_safken said:

Pump Output: 251 GPH
Delivery Head (wc/ft): 6'7"
Filter Volume: 1.3 gallons
power consumption: 25 watts
Inlet/outlet: 1/2" nipples..hehe

Specs look a lot like an Eheim 1250 with a not 'too restrictive' filter.

It's recommended that you use filters with state of the art blocks like White Water and Cascade anyway. I'd say this thing would be excellent to use as is.

vonkaar said:
The GPH rating would be inclusive of the filter... although the head is sort of low. It should be fine to use, although the filter may get in the way of any anti-corrosive you might use.

Its not a big deal if I run something like water wetter in it because if you have an algae bloom in your fish tank you can run a water bleach mixture through the pump to eliminate any possible blockages and to basically strip the filter of any other excessive organic matter.

Also I wont use any filter media inside this pump. I will just use the box. The filter media that you guys are talking about runs about a hundred dollars for all three kinds and last I checked I am not really in need of a Bio Filter. :D

Good ideas guys, where can I find a white water?

Back