• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dual boot with two hard drives???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cyber mouse45

Cyber Cheesiest Senior
Can I do a dual boot with two hard drives? I would like to have 98 on one and XP on the other. Is this possible? I’ve been to several sites and they just give instructions on how to do it with one hd. Thanks :)

Im not sure but thats a good question..Im sure it can be done if you find out post it here Im interested in how to do it also

Yes. Load Windows 98 to one drive and XP to the other. XP when loaded should recognize 98 and dual boot.

Windows 2000, does this without a hitch. I hope this helps.

I think you have to load 98se first, so that when you install xp it will see 98se and install a bootloader. I'm not sure tho.

Tis true. Load Windows 98 first, the XP after. Then you should have dual boot system. Also, you have to go into the control panel, and tell the system what OS you want to boot on default.

Good luck.

Thanks guys! I’ll try it out in a few days and see if it works. :)

You could also just switch the primary boot drive in your BIOS at each reboot. More of a PITA than true dual boot for sure, but if you have a Win98 install (all updated and stuff) you wish to keep, that would work too.

Also remeber if you use NTFS for the XP drive's file system, you will not be able to read that drive at all from Win98 with fat32. However, you will be able to read the fat32 from XP.

I would create a 2GB NTFS partition for the XP OS install, then make all your data/programs/etc fat32 so that you can access all your info from both OS's...

MadMan007 said:

I would create a 2GB NTFS partition for the XP OS install, then make all your data/programs/etc fat32 so that you can access all your info from both OS's...

Thanks, that's a good thought. :)

I'm dual booting 98SE and XP. The boot.ini file and ntldr file are at the root of the 98SE hard drive. I'm gonna try copying these files and fdisk, then install XP on one disk then 98SE on the other and copying boot.ini and ntldr to the 98SE hard disk to see if it will dual boot.

Like madman said w/ a lil modification, have
HD1: NTFS + Fat32 logical extended drive
HD2: FAT32 primary + Linux

This way if something goes wrong in XP you can acess the system files through Linux since linux reads everything.
GET "PARTITION MAGIC" IF YOU DO THIS, trust me, it will be worth it. Heck I saw a version of it that came w/ linux. Try to bum linux off of a friend, it's perfectly legal to copy it.

cyber mouse45 said:
Can anyone tell me where I can get Partition magic??

A computer store, standard retail software. v7 is the newest, about £40? ($55?)

Back