• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

really poor stability in an i5 750 / p55 overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Does your Volts ever show 1.4V on CPUz? Are you making your settings from Bios or are you using Tuner? Tuning programs are ok for basic overclocks, but you really want to be doing this from bios.

At 1.4 V, CPUz should be mirroring those voltages, if it isn't then your not really at 1.4V. You are running almost 3.6 @ 1.152V which is not bad. I would raise your Vcore till it shows 1.30V in CPUz and then try again. Your volts are too low.

the problem is it starts up near 1.36v, and goes below 1.2 at speeds over about 3.6ghz while testing. i have had it all the way up to 1.43 to get it to idle at 1.4 or above in cpu-z, but under load still dropping below 1.2v in the 2nd pass of intelburn. using tuner to search rough stability, bios for fine tuning.

well, i'm certain i'm being throttled somewhere. no matter what i set my voltage to it always comes down to the same level under load, no matter how far away that is. not a drop of the same number of volts, but a drop to the exact same level. maddening, i've got all the power state features disabled, and the temps are not above 60c. bottoms out at 1.152. always.

Last edited:
You need to turn off Vdroop. It shouldn't be dropping that much.

ASRock VDrop Control
Use this to enable or disable ASRock VDrop control. Configuration options:
[With VDrop] and [Without VDrop]. The default value is [With VDrop].

- Your setting should be [Without Vdrop]

Last edited:
After extensive reading, it appears you have a problem that plagues all P55 Extreme users. The Vdrop is the LLC on this board, and even without Vdroop, many users have experienced the same drop from 1.4 down to 1.2V or less.

http://motherboards-reviews.com/Asrock/socket_1156/P55M-Pro/ <--- this review did not give that board very high notes on Overclockability.

If your not willing to raise the Vcore higher till it matches with CPUz, then I am sorry to say, you might need to try a better motherboard. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

so i should set it to 1.6 and just see what happens?

I very honestly doubt he is 'telling' you to raise the Vcore that high. He just wrote previously in that post that he really thought the board was not very good and he left a link showing others with similar problems to what you were seeing. You might check that link and see if any of the others with problems ever found a real fix.

I know I am certainly not going to advise someone to raise the Vcore that high just to try and get stable, since the board seems to have problems for many other users.

From this page: http://www.overclock.net/intel-motherboards/588268-asus-asrock-p55-x58-club-discussion.html WARNING: Some budget P55 boards have been having problems when overclocking processors past 1.425 volts, eventually causing part of the motherboard to go up in smoke, kill the processor, or blow a capacitor, one of them is the P55 PRO. (Others being MSI P55 CD53 and ECS P55H) (Some more low end boards may have the same problems, these are the only ones confirmed) (The P55M PRO may have the same problem as the P55 PRO)

Note from ASrock:ASRock confirmed that its P55 Pro was designed to handle a smaller power load, based on Intel's lower TDP for LGA 1156 processors, and has sent a BIOS its representatives claim will enable built-in over-current protection. IF YOU OWN A P55 PRO, PLEASE UPDATE YOUR BIOS.

I know yours is an extreme, but that page also includes two other P55 Extreme users.

Board Problem: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=634095

Unhappy Asrock owner: http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2023707

Last edited:
Hey forum. Greetings. My similar problem web search brought me here on your forums, and thought i could punch in, without making a new thread.

I've got an even bigger stability problem on i5 760 coupled with M/B Asrock p55 Extreme4. Can't get it past 158MHz BCLK. I kinda know i should be doing something wrong. It doesn't matter if i raise VTT up to 1.3x V, i can't even get it through boot (gives me a "no signal" screen problem). Seems stable at its current OC: 158 BCLK w/ 10 Passes on IBT 2.53 on 4GB RAM stress level.

MOBO > Asrock P55 Extreme4, BIOS P1.90
CPU & Cooler > Intel i5 760 & Xigmatek Gaia
MEMORY > 2x Kingston 1600MHz 2GB each + 2x Corsair 1600MHz 2GB each
POWER SUPPLY > Thermaltake Litepower 700W
VIDEO CARD > 1x Gigabyte GeForce GTX 470 1.5GB
HDDs > 1x WD Black 1TB
BURNERS > 1x SATA DVD Writer
SOUND DEVICE > Onboard
USB > Mouse (Keyboard on "legacy" port)
O/S > Win7 64bit SP1

Current Stable OC:
BCLK: 158MHz
RAM: 1580MHz
Vcore: 1.1875V (Fixed)
DRAM V: 1.650V (Fixed)
VTT: 1.2V (Fixed)
PCH: 1.08V (Auto)
PLL: 1.855V (Auto)

OC try and fail:
Disabled all energy savings, V-droop, Spread Spectrum
PCH up to 1.3V
PLL up to 1.9V
Vcore set to 1.25V
VTT: up to 1.385V

P.S. CPU EZ OC Setting @ 3.6GHz fails.

Update: After reading some more here on the forums, seems like 4x DIMMs fails much more easily (especially of different brands). Now able to follow step 1 on miahallen's guide. Currently: 190BCLK stable

Last edited:
Back