Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Memory
Memory
Forum Jump

RAM dilemma

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 06-26-12, 04:21 AM Thread Starter   #1
jamdox

RAM dilemma

so I have a 3570k I'm overclocking, and two RAM kits, a Samsung and a G.SKILL.

While stability testing with either kit in I get errors, but the errors with the G.SKILL are "recoverable" (WHEA warnings), while with the Samsung it just crashes.

Does this mean the G.SKILL leads to a more stable OC, or is the difference irrelevant?

I like the Samsung because the RAM itself overclocks much better, but overclocking the CPU takes priority...
jamdox is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-26-12, 04:44 AM   #2
Cigarsmoker

Do either RAM crash before you OC? If so, then there's something wrong with the OCing. If not then there's something wrong with the RAM or MB and should be replaced.
Cigarsmoker is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-26-12, 05:02 AM Thread Starter   #3
jamdox

Everything works fine at stock. This is just a CPU overclock, with RAM at stock. The system is stable at 4.7GHz, but exhibits the above behavior at 4.8.
jamdox is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-26-12, 08:17 AM   #4
hokiealumnus
Water Cooled Moderator
Overclockers.com Lead Editor

Sounds like your CPU overclock is unstable rather than your RAM. If you're not changing anything with the RAM, but it crashes when you OC the CPU another 100MHz, you have an unstable CPU overclock.

Enjoy benchmarks? Join the benching team! | New to water cooling? Read the Beginner's Guide to Water Cooling Your PC.

xsuperbgx - "As a wise man once said: "Less talky. More clocky."" | cyberfish - "When overclocked, it's undefined behavior."
I.M.O.G. - "Vaseline on Ivy Bridge is a bad idea. But not so bad of an idea that it can't be fixed with a torpedo heater, a dishwasher, an oven, and a few hours. "

\m/ OverClockers mATX L33T Club \m/ - Join Now! - My mITX Build
hokiealumnus is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Memory
Memory