• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How To Overclock A Dell!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cooldrum3

I've read a good number of posts saying that a Dell can't be overclocked, at least not easily, etc. Well, I finally got around to running some tests just to make sure that the success I've had hasn't been due to erroneous CPU speed reporting, etc. I thought that this would be a useful, informative post since, let's face face it, Dell's are extremely prolific. The machine that is my test box is my work machine. My mother has one. My friends have them. Hence, there is a good chance that if you are just getting into overclocking, you are going to want to do it on a Dell.

The system is your typical Dell P4 2.0GHz w/ 512 RAM. I've actually had this machine OC'd for awhile now at a rock-stable 2600MHz. I used CPUFSB to overclock the front-side bus to achieve these results.

Follow the following steps:

1. Power down your comp.
2. Open the case.
3. Look for the PLL on your mainboard. Tips for finding the PLL can be found here.
4. Once you've found the PLL, write down the make and model number, then close up your case.
5. Power back up.
6. Download CPUFSB.
7. Install the program.
8. You MUST reboot the system after installing.
9. Run the program.
10. On the left you should see 4 drop-down boxes.
11. For the Mainboard Manufacturer, select Abit. (As far as I know, most, if not all current Dell mobos are stripped down versions of Abit's.)
12. For the Mainboard Type, leave it at None.
13. For the PLL manufacturer, select the maker of the PLL that you found in step 3.
14. For PLL Type select the model number that was stamped on the PLL.
15. Hit the "Save" button to save the settings.

NOTE: If your PLL has the "fine tuning" option, use it instead of the below "Frequency to Set" option. It allows you to adjust in smaller increments and typically can give you a slightly higher overclock. It follows essentially the same steps, just click the "Fine Tuning" button first.

16. Under the "Frequency to Set" heading, click the up button a couple of times until you are at the desired FSB you wish to set. (Obviously, start with a small OC and work your way up until the system becomes unstable or freezes.)
17. Hit the "Set Frequency" button.
18. Hit the "OK" button.
19. If the FSB is too high the system will freeze immediately. Reboot and try again with a lower FSB.
20. Click the "Save button again once you have reached a stable overclock. This will retain the FSB setting.
20. Once you have acheived a stable overclock, you can click the "Exit CPUFSB immediately after call..." checkbox and place a shortcut to CPUFSB in the Startup folder. This will start CPUFSB on Windows startup, and then immediately exit once the FSB has been set. Alternatively, if you only want to overclock at certain times, don't do this.

Following are some benchmarks I did of my system using PCMark 2002. The first is stock at 1996 MHZ. The second is FSB 130 at 2600 MHz (done with "Frequency to Set"). The last is FSB 133 at 2660 MHz (done with the "Fine Tuning" option). As you can see, there are definitive advantages. I hope this helps a lot of you out there. Enjoy!

screen1.jpg

screen2.jpg

screen3.jpg

DISCLAIMER: I am not saying that this will work for EVERY Dell. Some adjustment of the settings may be needed (ie: mobo). However, it can be done. My workstation is living proof! :D

sticky it, but i don't think it works on first generation p4 dells (e.g. 1.3 ghz. but im not sure)

Sticky if it works for most dells! (It might even work on Gateways and others... me sneaks down and rips open my mom's Gateway :D )

ill have to try this on my friends dell...maybe ill sneak into his house late at night....or express the wonders of a faster computer...he has the exact same system you have cooldrum3.

hmmm

cpufsb scares me

Corrupted a hard drive the one time i tried to use it (lowered the fsb instead of rasing it like it was supposed to and kicked the mobo down to lower multi- not good )

glad it was just my k6/2 backup box :)

nealric said:
hmmm

cpufsb scares me

Corrupted a hard drive the one time i tried to use it (lowered the fsb instead of rasing it like it was supposed to and kicked the mobo down to lower multi- not good )

glad it was just my k6/2 backup box :)

As with any method, you just have to remember not to overclock to the point where the PCI/IDE bus is higher than 38 MHz. As a rule I try to stay maxxed around 37 MHz...37.1 right now :).

*Just curious, has anyone tried it yet?

L337 M33P said:
I tried this CPUFSB thingie and it managed to hard lock my computer on the first try 0_o

What speed were you going for? You do have to use discretion. It's trial and error really, but you can minimize the errors :D.

booted up at 100FSB for kicks, then in CPUFSB selected the right PLL chip, and tried bumping to 133FSB. Instant hard lock in a button press.

Is this on the PII 350? Because, if so I'd believe it! You get the best (or more successful) results when running your usual stock and then trying to bump it up...if it was one of your AMD systems.

lol hell no - on rig #2 (mine). Default speed 1667MHz but @ 100FSB it was 1250MHZ. Do Asus A7Vs like this sort of treatment or do they always reject it?

I wouldn't know about that board. If I wanted to overclock it, I would probably do it in the BIOS. I assume it's available since you booted at 100? Dell's don't have overclocking ability in the BIOS, not much of anything actually...for obvious reasons. Hence you have to use software to OC the FSB. I would try putting the FSB back at 133. Boost your voltages, etc. then try it. I sometimes use it to find what a stable speed will be on a comp before I set it in the BIOS. That way, when I lock it up, I don't have to reset the BIOS and put all the settings back again (just reboot). I've found that I can OC an average of 3-5 MHZ less using the BIOS method than I can get using CPUFSB.

oh, come on, you guys are living under rocks. software FSB tools have been around for quite awhile...

well, they're not really that widespread. but I've known they can be used to OC OEM machines for some time...

I guess the information was esoteric, then...

o_O

Make sure to try and find out exactly who made the motherboard before you start doing this with a Dell. Abit did make motherboards for them, but I believe that MSI got the contract from Dell starting from about 6 months ago.

cpufsb has been finicky for me.

I found I got a hard lock with my old P3V4X.
However, if I scrolled all the way to the top fsb selection and then scrolled down to my preferred one if performed perfectly.

Wait a second... All I need to is download some program and follow those rules up there and there is a chance I could OC my system without soldering anything or doing any kind of physical adjustments?

I would love to hear if someone could do this on the system I got. I have a P4 3.06 w/ HT. I wonder if that would be a problem?

Back