• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ahhhhhh On Fire!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Joker_927

I got a random reboot and that is unacceptable. I checked almost everything and couldnt find out what it would happen. Everything was running fine. Then I touched my hard drive and almost got my hand burnt off. I have a fully water-cooled system so there are ZERO fans in my computer. What can I do BESIDES PUTING FANS IN (i hate dust) that will help my hd.

It's a WD 160GB 8mb buffer.

thx

Dont they have ways to water cool hard drives?

If nothing works out you can just get a low rpm fan with a fliter on it to blow on the hard drive... A little dust is better than a dead hard drive.....

you can purchase or make yourself a hd block.

some people have just soldered some copper pipe to the harddrive cage, even that might/is enough.

If you don't have any dust in your house as you hate it, then you don't have to worry!

Just get a less than 20cfm fan to put in there and it'll keep it cool.

I still use fans when I watercool to keep the case cool. I suggest that you run an 80mm fan on your HD to keep it from prematurely failing.

I would just get/make a HD WB (koolance has one you might be able to make work 4 ya), unless you will put a low CFM can on there (it won't bring in much dust (esp if you put on a filter) and will be virtually silent).

Heat pipe won't work without air movement and if there isn't any it will result in the heatpip heating up and the hard drive going kapoots.

You need to either get some airflow and a filter or you need to get a water block on that harddrive.

Yeah I also recommend the Zalman fanless Heatpipe Harddrive cooler. Here it is at SVC, a little expensive, but no fans no dust and no noise.

BTW, here is a review Click It shows that the zalman heatpipe does work without airflow and even better with.

Last edited:
Is the drive in a 3 1/4 inch bay?

If you get a mounting kit, you could put it into a CD-ROM bay, where it can get much better cooling, even without a fan... And since mounting kits only cost a few dollars / pounds, it's not a huge price to pay.

Blueacid said:
Is the drive in a 3 1/4 inch bay?

If you get a mounting kit, you could put it into a CD-ROM bay, where it can get much better cooling, even without a fan... And since mounting kits only cost a few dollars / pounds, it's not a huge price to pay.

How will it bet better cooling in a CD-ROM bay without a fan?

CrashOveride said:

How will it bet better cooling in a CD-ROM bay without a fan?
I assume he means because there is more open air around it.

eobard said:

I assume he means because there is more open air around it.

Ok, but if it doesn't go anywhere then it won't help much now will it (it might make it stay cooler longer but once its on for a while it will not make a differnce)? If he had a plastic converter thingy rather than metal it could be even worse, since at least now some heat can go to th case, then not only would it be in the same situation with having no heat removed via air but none removide by the case either.

You really either need a waterblock, fan or heatpipe to cool it.

Well, thx for ALL the awsome help.

The problem with the fan is 1) dust. I know I seem liek a dust-o-phobe, but I live on a ranch in the country and its EXTREMELY bad. I would still gladley use one with a filter, but in there is another problem: the front of my case. I have a Dbox. It is the case with its own PCB in it. Sadly, the design flaw is that the PCB is right infront of the 120MM fan intek in the front. Inpossible for any fan to suck air in. Poor design flaw, didn't affect water-cooling though.

Waterblock. Well, as I posted in another forum, I have water-cooled everything in my case and my cpu temps right now are 43C, video card 39, and NB is 40 as I type this. 83 F ,75 % humitity in my room right now. Adding more heat, and esspecially the amount of heat this HD seems to be putting off, would drastically NEGATIVLY effect my watercoolers performce. I think. Also, having my CPU, GPU, and NB all cooled with 1/2 ID 3/4 OD tubing in a mid-tower case gets kind of cramped. :) Luckily I made it look decent. With my HD cooled, I would think it would get too cluttered.

That leaves me with the heatpipe. According to that review, the heatpip can reduce temps (greatly it seemed) without the use of a fan. I was wondering if it was a waste of money for $50, but then I realized SVC had it for $30. I boguht it today.

HOPE IT WORKS!! thx

Joker_927 said:
Adding more heat, and esspecially the amount of heat this HD seems to be putting off, would drastically NEGATIVLY effect my watercoolers performce.

uh, it doesn't matter whether your using a fan, a heat pipe, or water with a radiator, the heat from that hard drive is STILL going to get into the air.... where the heck else is it going to go?

dude, having no fans in your case is a bad thing, because theres other stuff that heats the case up. you'll just have lots of stagnant hot air = bad.

even 1 exhaust fan will do well. as for the HDD - maybe an exhaust fan near it, with some ducting? that way no dust inside the case.

bah, if everything's w/c, then why wory about dust? no fins to clog...

Back