• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me Build my Quad Rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Just some regular old cas4 ddr2-800 will put your Q6600 at 3600mhz per core at stock speed(400x9mhz). I don't think there are any air coolers out that can even handle that so it might be overkill, assuming the cpu is capable of getting that high.

Brando I was thinking the same thing. CAS4 DDR2-800. I'd be happy if I can get 3-3.2 on air. Looking to go with a Zalman 9700 or Scythe Infinity/Ninja.

Ahh I saw those but wasn't certain. After reading some reviews and seeing some getting to 1100 @ 2.35 thats just insane.

I would just go with ddr2-800 & a Q6400. Thats 3200mhz per core at stock memory speed and you'll save some money. I think I read somewhere that the Q6400 has the same cache at the higher end models so you can't go wrong.

If the Q6400 does indeed have the same Cache then I'll probably bite because $$ is a concern. Does anyone have a link to the Quads to be released next? info/stats etc.

For a system like that, spring for the 2x2gb sticks and go 64bit vista.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231122

I agree with Hyperasus.

Go with a 64bit OS and use 4 gig of ram, start with one 8800 vid card. That should be enough vid power unless you are needing very high resolutions because of an exceptionally large monitor.

4 gig of ram is very nice for running multiple applications and with a Quad core that is what you probably are going to do.

With windows XP anything over 2GB of Ram was kind of pointless. Vista however seems to love the extra memory. Go quantity over quality. Better to spend $350 for 4GB of 667 case5 then to spend $250 on high speed 2x1GB sticks. Any of the current Gskill 2x2GB sticks will have more then enough speed for a quad. My advice is if you need to cut corners....do it somewhere else and get you're 4 gigs of RAM. Believe me... once you have Vista up and running you'll be glad you did.

Evilsizer said:
Whoa, wasn't that ram $300 a month or two ago? Thats what I would get if they still hit 1000mhz plus for that price(assuming it's compatible).

EDIT: Then again, the ram I have is now $179 down from $230 when I bought it not too long ago and it's definitely compatible with the P5B-deluxe(I also have) if that's what you decide to go with. It'll hit at least 420mhz @4-4-4-12 or higher with looser timings so you're still outpacing your heatsinks ability to cool most likely and hitting about 3400mhz per core with a Q6400. Not bad at all I think.
These are the ones http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231087

Last edited:
Brando said:
Whoa, wasn't that ram $300 a month or two ago? Thats what I would get if they still hit 1000mhz plus for that price(assuming it's compatible).

EDIT: Then again, the ram I have is now $170 down from $230 when I bought it not too long ago and it's definitely compatible with the P5B-deluxe(I also have) if that's what you decide to go with. It'll hit at least 420mhz @4-4-4-12 or higher with looser timings so you're still outpacing your heatsinks ability to cool most likely and hitting about 3400mhz per core with a Q6400. Not bad at all I think.
more like 329 range and yes still micron D9's which flavor dunno but alot of people at xs with this ram and 2.4v are hitting ddr2-12200 4-4-4-8 or 4-4-4-12 timings. with any voltage over 2.2 imo you need active cooling on D9's. some ic's can take the volts and not put out the heat like D9's do. this is a good resource to have book marked for id-ing ic's used on the ram you want. http://ramlist.ath.cx/ddr2/

well i havent looked at the list latly but seems those HZ's dont use D9's if you bought them after 05/2006.

since they are not d9's anymore i say get either of these kits from g.skill
PC6400 PK

F2-6400CL4D-1GBPK
F2-6400CL4D-2GBPK
or
PC6400 HK

F2-6400CL4D-1GBHK
F2-6400CL4D-2GBHK

from what i have seen at xs these oc about the same as the d9's that were used in the HZ's. might be off by about 50-100mhz but for the price they are at now i wouldnt complain.

I'd recommend the Ultra X Power 800w because of it's power and stability, which may concern you with a quad rig. You can find a review for it on johnnyguru's site.

I'm opting to hold off on installing Vista 64bit since they still need to get more driver support and such. 32bit is more friendly for now.
I'm going to go 2x1GB DDR2 for now and upgrade down the road...Even now on Vista I can't max out my 2GB of DDR400 granted I'm not running alot of apps. I run SETI x2 and have multi browsers going and can watch video with no conflicts on this rig. If anyone can show a review of 2GB vs 4GB and the real world advantages please link it.

As for the Q6400 thats not due till Q3 or later if I'm correct. I don't want to wait that long!

Back