• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why is this with XP Home?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dave65

I have windows Millenium and I have the upgrade for XP Home over the Millenium,well I can run my FSB higher on ME,but when I add the XP it is real unstable,with ME I can get 9.5X 164,but with XP I can only go to 9.5X156.
I hate not being able to use the XP but Id rather have the overclocking abilities with the ME,does anyone know why this is happening...???
Thanks

First off, you should do a clean install, as opposed to an upgrade. You will have less problems down the road. Second, I would suspect your RAM is the cause of your problems. 9X systems were not as picky about bad memory addresses as NT systems are. I have installed and o/c'ed 9X system where I knew the RAM was bad, with no problems (other than stability). XP would not even install on these systems because of the bad RAM. This would affect your ability to o/c that computer. Also, it would tend to make me believe that your o/c on WinMe was not stable, because of the faulty RAM. Having a higher o/c is no good without stability. I would suggest running a program like memtest86 from DOS to determine the stability of your RAM before going any further...

I have done that with the stability test,and it was ok,I have tryed different DDR modules with the same results.
And I have compleately wiped the drive clean,including writing zeros to the drive to make sure the drive was not bad..
What I am saying is it is compleately stable with the ME but when I add the XP it is not stable at all...

I used Sandra Pro burn in wizard,also Doc Memory and it passed everything,now I am getting the Blue Screen or death even at default mode with the XP,I am going to see if my MB drivers are up to date..

hi i had almost same problems with xp (rc1 and full)
choppy dvd and flash videos, performance lowered when cd burning (cdr liteon burn proof) (dvd pionnier 16x)
all drivers and settings sets up for performance
and some other problems with some of my hardware (joystick saiteck x35, webcam intelXXXX, and some other ones)

had to move to win 98 se and every thing working great:(

KRI you are just using 98 SE not XP?
I am thinking of just taking out the XP..

yea i had to change to 98 se and every thing is working perfect
i have 2 HD (30 & 60), the smallest one is running windows 98 and all appz that only can be install on drive c and the other hd(d)
all games, players, softwares, and files. So windows has lots of free space and is very rare when windows farts:beer:.
xp is cool but is not working with my hardware configuration and i think my hardware is preatty common (no rare brands) all drivers were updated and bios too.

IMHO the best alternative to XP is 2k. XP is mostly 2k with cosmetic surgery and the usual bugs that new OSes always have.

Back