• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Chromebooks And You

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Culbrelai

What do you guys think about Chromebooks? I watch QVC for entertainment to watch all of the old ladies ask ridiculous questions about computers and they had a Chromebook on from Acer with 2GB RAM and 320GB HDD for $300...

I was thinking why not get a tablet and save yourself the start up time, since what's the point of a laptop that is designed to browse the internet and start quickly without an SSD (like an ultrabook)

So what is their purpose? What's Google's OS like? It looks a lot like Windows tbh...

I had an original Chrome book. They are primarily used for surving. The advantage is that EVERYTHING is saved and duplicated on Google's server. So if your device craps out or you loose it, everything will still be located there. The processor/ram was sufficient for daily web surving, but the hard drive was a small (I think 16GB) SSD.

I can see the benefit of what Google was trying to do, but I think they slit their own necks with Android. I had read they wanted to integrate the two, but I haven't messed with a chromebook for over a year. If you want the feel for it, just use the Chrome browser with all of its extensions and never minimize it. That is what it feels like.

I gave it a try but eventually gave up because it couldn't run normal windows applications. Its like what happened to linux early on. The OS was ok but there were no supporters.

Honestly, I have had all iterations. I owned a Chromebook, HTC Flyer, Android devices since the G1, Laptops with Windows, Netbooks with Windows. I would have to say which device really just depends on what your doing at the time. You wouldn't use a 17" Laptop on a long flight. But without an internet connection, a Chromebook would be worthless. For big jobs, neither the netbook, or Chromebook or tablet would be up for the task. The tablet is nice for web browsing while on the couch or in bed, where a netbook might be awkward. While on the go, I use none of them, I use my phone with integrated web.

Long story, short answer..... It really depends.....

The Chromebooks aren't the best for the retail/consumer market anymore. As Brutal-Force mentioned, they sort of shot themselves in the foot with Android, which is a better casual use platform.

Chromebooks are becoming popular in different settings, such as education though. Because the OS is so cloud based, it's easily manageable in school environments, where kids who can't/don't want to take a laptop to school can sign out one for the day or use one in the tech lab to type notes and papers and such. Cloud based is ideal for this as it's just temporary use. Tablets wouldn't be the best because of the lack of physical keyboard, while full laptops are a much more expensive option.

Ah ha, I see, so Chromebooks would be like Microsoft continually selling Windows Vista PCs after beginning to sell Windows 7 PCs.

So QVC is cleaning out its Chromebook stores to unsuspecting old ladies... typical =P

Hard to tell exactly what it is they are selling. The old Acer AC700 Chromebook came with a 16gb SSD and dual core atom. I have no idea what it used to cost. The new Acer C7 Chromebook comes with a 320gb HDD and dual core celeron but retail price is $199. They could be selling a slightly modified old one for more than the faster new one costs or they are selling the new one with a large markup. Either way it is a terrible deal.

What the point of them? They are just netbooks. The Acer C7 is an Acer Aspire One with chromeos isntead of windows. I'd take a netbook over a tablet any day as they do way more for equal or way less money. I'm biased though as I find tablets to be completely worthless.

Back