• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Ati 3850 = nVidia model..?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

khelben1979

Registered
If I would compare an AMD ATi 3850 vs nVidia graphic cards, what card does nVidia have which is in line with the same performance as the ATi card?

I myself has an old PC(5 years old this autumn) so I'm going to buy a whole new one in the future, it feels meaningless to continue upgrading this machine, however, the AMD ATi Radeon3850 card is the best graphic card for AGP users, so I guess it's attractive to lots of AGP owners.. :)

Would an AMD ATi 3850 outclass a nVidia Geforce7800GS in all games? What do you think?

I guess the ATi would win, but I'm not sure since many games says they are optimized for nVidia graphics.

9600 GT i guess, but the 9600 GT is a bit more powerful than the 3850 for around the same price, you can get 9600 GT's for $119 USD after mail-in rebate on newegg.

edit: i notice you mention AGP, I'm not sure what AGP card would compare to a 3850...

I dont think the 3850 will have any problems out performing a 7900gs.

Interesting.

One other thing which one has to consider is drivers. Are the current ATi drivers as good as the ones which comes from nVidia? I can run whatever game I want(with some very rare exceptions) without experiencing a crash with Windows XP.

I just bought a 3850 AGP for my in-laws.... it's purrin. Nvidia wise... I'd say somewhere between the 8700/8800 would be the correct performance category.

I just bought a 3850 AGP for my in-laws.... it's purrin. Nvidia wise... I'd say somewhere between the 8700/8800 would be the correct performance category.

That is decent performance, indeed! It will be interesting to see if the ATi 3850 will be the last model they will release for AGP. what do you people think?

Hehe, thats what they said about the X1x00 AGP cards and the 7x00 AGP cards :D. They'll keep making them so long as there are buyers.

nVidia has no AGP card that comes close to the 3850 AGP performance, last card they released on AGP was the 7800GS which is considerably slower.

Not taking into account AGP/PCIe the 3850 sits inbetween the 8800GS and 9600GT performance wise.

They've been selling for $150 at newegg and a Canadian site infonec for a little while now, much better then the $250 they used to sell for.

What hardware you currently running on your AGP rig btw, I'd guess an AMD64 and 1 GB RAM?

XFX make a 7950GT 512MB AGP card, not sure how the HD3850 would compare to that. Probably be cheaper and run cooler in any case.

XFX make a 7950GT 512MB AGP card, not sure how the HD3850 would compare to that. Probably be cheaper and run cooler in any case.

Here in Sweden the AGP cards always has a higher price than the pci-express cards.

I will go for a new motherboard sometime next year I hope.

Back