• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

opinion: Your Taskbar Location

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Luie

*Disclaimer: I apologize if this is the wrong section. Feel free to move to another section if it is more appropriate.

History:
Since the start of GUI, taskbars had been located at the bottom of the screen by default (eg. Windows). As monitors are becoming bigger and wider, this position might not be ideal.

Interest:
I'm interested in those who have their taskbar located either on the top, right or left of the screen.

Question:
Where do you have your taskbar?
Top?
Left?
Right?

Why?

For me, I always had it on the top. I considered on the side but the titles of the programs are truncated (eg. "Ov..." for Overclockers Forums page on browser). Now that Windows7 have these opened programs as icons, I am considering repositioning the taskbar to maximize usable monitor space. Right now, I am trying the taskbar on the right.
Next week, I'll try the taskbar on the left.

it's wrong(or Ubuntu)

Might wanna check your post for redundancy. :D

I tried having the taskbar on top for awhile, and didn't really see any problem with it, but it didn't gain me anything either, so I've just left it on the bottom ever since. Never been able to stand having it on the side, makes it too wide and hard to read.

Dual monitor setup...LH monitor (main desktop) rotated to portrait mode.
Taskbar on LH side.
These are standard format (i.e., NOT widescreen) displays and portrait mode gives me considerably more display space per page on most forums I frequent, even with the taskbar on the side.
Here is a screencap with the same forum page open on both monitors...
2Mon.png

It's taken a while to get used to but seems very natural now.

Top of the right monitor. I have really no use for the Win taskbar and the main mon has ObjectDock on bottom (yes yes a la Mac).

I use dual monitors and home and at work, I keep my task bar on which ever is my main screen on the side opposite the side that goes to the second monitor. Like at home my main screen is to the right of my secondary so I keep my task bar on the right side of my main monitor, but I also hide my desktop icons and have a desktop tool bar attached to my task bar. I also use a program called lclock to hide my start button and have it appear from the clock.

I run mine on the left side, with large icons for quicklaunch and stretched out enough to show 2 icons side by side in taskbar. This leaves enough room to read window titles.

For windows I'm just really set on having the taskbar on the bottom.

For Ubuntu having it at the top just seems right, but that's probably because my mind reset to learning mode when I first cracked it open and booted it.

I normally run my desktop at 1152x or 1280x, so it's not like I couldn't put it on the right or left... I just... don't.

Back