• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's a good gaming mouse? (2012 edition)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
this sensitivity argument is silly because most gamer mice can change sens on the fly (something i would never do) and even if they couldn't one would be able to change settings in windows or the game itself. it comes down to a matter of preference just like those of us who play with inverted mouse (me). why does it matter what more people do? that does not make it better or the "correct" way to do it.

again, it is all a matter of being comfortable and playing to your own style. that is the key to success.

and on the laser mouse being worse than optical topic.... to me that is a load of crap! from a 17 year hardcore veteran i'd have to say my laser mouse is the best device i have used and i have used them all. again, it plays to my style and is what works for me.

and on the laser mouse being worse than optical topic.... to me that is a load of crap! from a 17 year hardcore veteran i'd have to say my laser mouse is the best device i have used and i have used them all. again, it plays to my style and is what works for me.

I wont argue against the possibility that SF101 doesn't like laser because he doesn't like how it works or hes not use to it or what have you. All that comes down to personal preference.

The only point im trying to correct is his accusation that Laser is an inferior technology than Optical. His opinion on if he likes it or not, is another matter. Some people (ie a few of my friends) prefer trackball mice. I cant fathom why from a gaming standpoint (they do use it for gaming) but its what they like, and what they are use to, so its good for them.

But as ive said, ive personally seen a difference between optical and laser and from my experience, see the improvement laser gives over optical. Like you Jkicak, it better fits my play-style.

*Bump*

I have spent a week now with the Cyborg, R.A.T 7. An upgrade from my mighty old Genius Ergo 555. The R.A.T is the most comfy mouse I've had to date! I love the amount of customization you can do as well, also I think it looks pretty awsome. Not that many of my friends agree :p

coolermaster sentinal advance gameing mouse .. what i have and i love it .
64 Kb Onboard Memory
OLED DPI Display
5600 DPI Storm Tactical Twin-laser Sensor
Tracks on most surfaces, ensures minimal lift-off distance
IC controlled Illumination with 7 colors and variable lighting effects
Real-time Speed Measurement
1.0ms Polling Time
removeable counter weights

alot cheeper now than when i got it $30-40.. 2yrs ago was $80

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/cm_storm_sentinel_adv_gam_mouse/

I wont argue against the possibility that SF101 doesn't like laser because he doesn't like how it works or hes not use to it or what have you. All that comes down to personal preference.

The only point im trying to correct is his accusation that Laser is an inferior technology than Optical. His opinion on if he likes it or not, is another matter. Some people (ie a few of my friends) prefer trackball mice. I cant fathom why from a gaming standpoint (they do use it for gaming) but its what they like, and what they are use to, so its good for them.

But as ive said, ive personally seen a difference between optical and laser and from my experience, see the improvement laser gives over optical. Like you Jkicak, it better fits my play-style.

*Fixed as i quoted wrong person*

rather than using me as a focal point you might want to wonder why 90+% of all major pro PC FPS players use optical mice over laser mice.

do the research yourself if you want i was just trying to help.

the top 2 new mice used among pro fps players are the G400 and the Deathadder 3.5 both optical mice.'

their profiles may say sensie or xai or mamba ect.. but if you watch any live footage they are using 1 of 4 mice typically. a IE 3.0 / Mx518 (sometimes even 510) G400 or deathadder 1-3.5 . other mice include ikari and

or other optical mice used in the dark are the zowie or kinzi 2 , kown "sp"

just saying majority of successive fps players are using optical mice.. and they are determine to win so i don't see nostalgia playing a part there.

lazor mice have usually prediction or they have acceleration ect on dif pads.

We're starting to sound like Golfers or something. I've always just used logitech stuff, but this guy at work who runs a SC2 clan or guild or whatever you want to call it recently got sponsored by Razer, and he had tons of Razer gear delivered to the office. Mice, keyboards, headsets, whatever -- anyways, after checking out some of the stuff I upgraded to a Razer mouse and keyboard combo.....I got the Naga, which I actually really like (not much of a FPS / RTS guy).

All that comes down to personal preference.

rather than using me as a focal point you might want to wonder why 90+% of all major pro PC FPS players use optical mice over laser mice.

As I stated, and you quoted, its all personal preference. Why would i give a rats butthole what "pro" fps'ers use? That's there preference, not mine. Again, as ive said, im not arguing for personal preference, but you seem to believe that personal preference even by so called "pro" gamer's = superior tech. I'm simply saying that's not the case.

How about you do the research, then show it to me? Why would i go and do all the work of looking up this stuff just to prove YOUR point? You want to actually give me hard stats to compare the two techs, why don't you bring it to me. Ive done my own research as ive stated before, which is why i say Laser is a more advance tech than optical.

We're starting to sound like Golfers or something.
I sooo want a new driver lol. Cant wait till it warms back up again haha..

I'm debating the G700 and MX performance.. dont need the buttons off the G700, and apparently the MX lasts longer on a battery charge.. From a button standpoint, the MX seems like the better fit for me as I dont need all these buttons. I was going to get the G9x, but the feel of the G700/MX is WAY better. The G9x feels like its too small.

My only concern is the performance between the two.. Do they both have the same high performance wireless connection thing? I dont want dropouts.. its my main concern.

I can't comment on the performance aspect, but for the battery I will say this. The G700 uses a standard AA Ni-MH rechargeable battery, so it is easily replaceable and spares can be on hand at all times. I use the battery that it comes with, plus 4 more in a constant rotation. Once one is considered "dead" by the mouse, I simply swap the battery with one that was on a separate charger. As far as dropouts is concerned, I haven't had any with my G700.

If the battery from the MX Performance is anything like the MX Revolution (built in Li-Ion), the charge should last for a couple of days, but eventually it will start to taper off with age and become a problem, as in only lasting a couple of hours. From other reviews I've read and my own experience with a MX Revolution, this will happen, sometimes rapidly within the 1st year while its under warranty and Logitech would replace it, or just after the 1 year. You may not even realize the battery is holding less of a charge until it too late if you leave it charging anytime your away from the PC. I would imagine that the battery is not easily replaceable like the MX Revolution.

Wow that sucks... I've changed my battery once in my microsoft cheapo mouse and ive had it since december... still works great.. That really makes the wireless part completely useless to me. Back to the drawing board i guess...

Don't let the battery issue be the only deciding factor. From what I see on Logitechs site about the MX Performance, it appears you can use the mouse wired just like the G700. Using it wired is is how the mouse itself charges the battery (unless you have a separate charger like I do). Of course, if you want to stick to wireless that's kinda a moot point there.

Fyi, I purchased the G700 because I did want the extra buttons and it was the same shape as the MX Revolution. However, the extra buttons do not get in the way of normal use, and the G700 buttons can be configured to do pretty much anything you want. You'll probably find yourself using the buttons often enough if you give a try. Also, since it is just a regular AA Ni-MH battery, you can head on down to your local Walgreens, RadioShack, or any other like store, and pickup a set of 4 AA Ni-MH Energizer batteries with a charger for around $20. You'll never be without a ready charged battery or ever have to plug in the mouse to charge the battery this way.

Don't let the battery issue be the only deciding factor. From what I see on Logitechs site about the MX Performance, it appears you can use the mouse wired just like the G700. Using it wired is is how the mouse itself charges the battery (unless you have a separate charger like I do). Of course, if you want to stick to wireless that's kinda a moot point there.

Fyi, I purchased the G700 because I did want the extra buttons and it was the same shape as the MX Revolution. However, the extra buttons do not get in the way of normal use, and the G700 buttons can be configured to do pretty much anything you want. You'll probably find yourself using the buttons often enough if you give a try. Also, since it is just a regular AA Ni-MH battery, you can head on down to your local Walgreens, RadioShack, or any other like store, and pickup a set of 4 AA Ni-MH Energizer batteries with a charger for around $20. You'll never be without a ready charged battery or ever have to plug in the mouse to charge the battery this way.

Two things.

1. I have the G700 at home, and the MX Performance at work. Both use a single AA battery (which Logitech installs an Eneloop rechargeable into. {arguably one of the better rechargeables}) It should last several days on average use.

2. The G700 will work either wired or wireless. The MX Performance, while it will work while plugged in, still requires the wireless receiver to transmit data. And the cable that came with mine, is so short that unless you get a usb extension, it might be problematic trying to use it while plugged in, where as the G700's charge/data cable, is a standard mouse cord length.

I love the g700 personally. It takes a bit to get use to the thumb buttons, as i think the shape of them is a bit weird. But overall it works very well and i havent noticed any lag or jittering over the wireless vs the wired.

As I stated, and you quoted, its all personal preference. Why would i give a rats butthole what "pro" fps'ers use? That's there preference, not mine. Again, as ive said, im not arguing for personal preference, but you seem to believe that personal preference even by so called "pro" gamer's = superior tech. I'm simply saying that's not the case.

How about you do the research, then show it to me? Why would i go and do all the work of looking up this stuff just to prove YOUR point? You want to actually give me hard stats to compare the two techs, why don't you bring it to me. Ive done my own research as ive stated before, which is why i say Laser is a more advance tech than optical.

I sooo want a new driver lol. Cant wait till it warms back up again haha..

Your attitude is wrong. The point here isn't to argue on the internet, but to state commonly accepted truths and or facts. The burden of learning is upon you. If you're content with what you have, then good for you. If you're not, YOU do the research.

This post is all kinds of .. ignorant.

I've recently learned the only two mice to actually offer pure input from the sensor (ie, everything is 1:1) are the G400 and the razer deathadder. I'm using a left handed deathadder. Near as I can tell those are the only two mice I'll reccomend.

Last edited:

I've pretty much gotten to the point where, if overclock.net hasn't avidly detailed every last little thing about a mouse and confirmed it's teh rox0rz, it's probably not worth having. So far they've only confirmed two mice as being truly 1:1, which is a requirement for me, as anything else feels laggy. @_@

The closer to 1:1, the more crisp and responsive every motion is. Some mice have intelligently implemented smoothing, prediction or acceleration or worked around it to where it honestly feels 1:1, or perhaps better. The only I know of that's truly acceptable is the G9x.

Your attitude is wrong. The point here isn't to argue on the internet, but to state commonly accepted truths and or facts. The burden of learning is upon you. If you're content with what you have, then good for you. If you're not, YOU do the research.

This post is all kinds of .. ignorant.

Just so you know, that post is a month and a half old. And you clearly didn't see, or understand the point i was making. SF101 was trying to convince me (very hard) that he was in the right, yet to prove it, wanted me to do the work of researching his answers. I was just making a point that if someone is trying to convince ME of something, then they need to provide the information to do it (as i did for my counter argument). Why would i be obligated to go look up information to support their argument? That just seems like im feeding a troll at that point.

I dont mind looking up information when im shopping around or im interested in a product, however i dont feel i need to "burden" myself with learning, when someone is trying to force a point/product down my throat.

Just so you know, that post is a month and a half old. And you clearly didn't see, or understand the point i was making. SF101 was trying to convince me (very hard) that he was in the right, yet to prove it, wanted me to do the work of researching his answers. I was just making a point that if someone is trying to convince ME of something, then they need to provide the information to do it (as i did for my counter argument). Why would i be obligated to go look up information to support their argument? That just seems like im feeding a troll at that point.

I dont mind looking up information when im shopping around or im interested in a product, however i dont feel i need to "burden" myself with learning, when someone is trying to force a point/product down my throat.

I don't know if optical is better than laser, what is important is the two mice he quoted are indeed the best mice on the market for competitive gaming. They are simply the most responsive/accurate mice on the market. To elaborate just a bit: the G400 is only in this group if you get a newer newer version. SF101 is actually right, so I agree that you should do some research, if only to better yourself. Overclock.net is a LOT more into mice than our community.

Even razerguy, the community representative for razer made of point of saying he wouldn't use any other mice available to him from razer. There is a lot of documentation to prove the G400 and the deathadder are superior to anything else on the market.

The reason i didn't supply back ground info was because i knew i was right.

As a computer tech i get sick of talking people into things id rather they do the research themselves i just wanted to point people into the right direction is all.

That said. I have plenty of friends that prefer mice for other reasons such as wireless and comfort.

Comfort is a real big one tbh if your hand is crampy or you feel uncomfortable with a mouse it really doesn't mater how awesome the precision is your going to hate it.

I used a naga for awhile and liked it tbh i played mmos and fps with it and it was good for what it was sometimes i wanted to grip harder like on my mx510 but i couldn't due to buttons but over all i got used to it and really that's saying something.

However I also used a mx510 for years and when the button on my naga started double clicking alot 1 month out of warranty I had no problems ordering 2 G400 " one for home one for work" as its sensor is vastly recognized "the prediction free versions esp which i received" and its something i was already comfortable with considering my extended use of the mx510. and considering that 510 is still working great after how many years of use vs this naga that lasted 1 month over a year i went logitech.

There is no argument really the only rogue mouse maker atm is zowie whom seems to just grab up any good senor on the market and make a mouse from it.. they use odd dpi's tho.

Back