• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Torin3's 4P F@H build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Your not going to beat the 212's . My old 4P budget thread has a screeny of my temps 30C or under while folding.
At least one other posted the same temps

Using a bench reduces your temps dramatically as opposed to a case. So heat is a non issue. You'll run out of volts or exceed the RAM limits before temp's limit you. (While OCing)

Using a case may be a different story..

They do a stellar job. Its only going to take you an hour to make the Musky brackets. Knowing Torin has McGuyver skills. :)

The links are in my thread in the Stickies Mega 4p thread. You'll also need the bolts and nuts with washers. I think the Musky link has the sizes.

Those build threads have everything you'll need . Except for the OCing info.

Last edited:
Your not going to beat the 212's . My old 4P budget thread has a screeny of my temps 30C or under while folding.
At least one other posted the same temps

Good to know. I was toying with thinking about trying to convert over the water cooling setup I have on that benching station, but I'm also lazy enough I don't really want to deal with the work of maintaining a water cooling rig for 24/7 folding.

They do a stellar job. Its only going to take you an hour to make the Musky brackets. Knowing Torin has McGuyver skills. :)

I'll cop to having McGuyver skills.... :D :sn:

First of the CPUs has already arrived. The other 2 I've gotten are in transit at the moment.

20131228_1403271_zps4557ecd7.jpg~original

20131228_1403471_zpsabf59afb.jpg~original

Well, the second chip was delivered today. The 3rd one was shipped today. I should be getting it tomorrow.

Plus, my work looks like they will be buying my x5675 from me for $500. I'll know for sure tomorrow. If so, I'll -oneunit the machine and start breaking it down. So, I'll probably skip the 4th chip this week and get the motherboard instead.

I think I'm going for the H8QGi+-F. I like the fact the CPU locations are more evenly spread across the board.

Yeah the Supermicro H8QGi+-F is a nice board. I just got mine as I decided to drop the cash for it. . . just no one tell my wife yet. . . still trying to figure out how I can suck up before I break the news that I spent more money on F@H lol.

Yeah the Supermicro H8QGi+-F is a nice board. I just got mine as I decided to drop the cash for it. . . just no one tell my wife yet. . . still trying to figure out how I can suck up before I break the news that I spent more money on F@H lol.

I'd suggest paying it off with mining...

http://mmcpool.com/

You can make like 75usd per day with that beast.

Then go back to folding :D

I'd suggest paying it off with mining...

http://mmcpool.com/

You can make like 75usd per day with that beast.

Then go back to folding :D

I wasn't aware that it had that high of a rate of return.

I suddenly have a plan.... Run mining on my new system for long enough to buy a second one. Run first system folding after that. Set the second one up for mining and get enough to buy a 3rd system, and then run 2 folding system and use the 3rd system to pay for the extra electricity costs....

I'll head over to the cyptocurrency forum to flesh out the details, but my folding goals are suddenly a lot more likely!

Nope, and I've only got one pot at the moment. Given the fact you can't adjust the voltage, I doubt there would be any benefit to freezing the chips.

Btw, I got approval from work. They are going to buy the x5675, and I'll get the money Thursday. So I put the SR-2 to -oneunit and I'll take it apart tomorrow.

The CAD CNC programmer who it getting the chip is probably going to be pretty happy with it.

Just remember all the lessons you learned in the School of Greater Suck Up, (aka matrimony): engage puppy dog pleading eyes, expound on how you appreciate her ability to forgive and forget, mention it while giving her a foot massage, etc. Be sure to hide the rolling pin, and other great throwable/swingable favorites. :rofl:

And good luck! :chair:

Well, if I'm figuring things correctly, my 7970 cards might be able to do about $10/day each. That could get me a couple of new cards in a month, then I could leave one mining to pay for the extra electricity.

But I wouldn't be able to run them on the AMD board I'm getting, it only has one PCI-E slot.

good stuff... I think folding and mining go hand in hand. you can easily pay for power and even ac for your compute cluster :D
I could Beebe afford to fold with the equipment I plan to buy if it were not for the mining rigs I'm setting up now.

Pulled the trigger on the board this morning. I will probably get it Tuesday or Wednesday of next week. I've got 3 of the CPUs as of last night.

I'll be ordering the cooling today as well.

So, I should have it folding by the weekend.

Very cool on the mobo...I'll start getting the things I need for OC'ing this weekend. Already changed the jumper for BMC(Something you won't have to worry about). I noticed some of the higher clocked MC are selling for $125(2.3Ghz) . I wish I had gotten those instead..

Right now I'm stuck at the Bay Bridge due to high winds :(

I didn't see any of the MCs when I looked, so they may have sold out.

Just pulled the trigger on the fourth 6172. So, 2 @ $100, 1 @ $75, and 1 @ $60, for $335 total. Not bad.

CPU sinks are on their way. Board should ship this morning. I figure I should be up and running by Friday at the latest.

Back