• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Woah! Check this out, gigabyte brix

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Neat! Little computers that pack a punch are always fun to look at. And disassemble, heh :p

I actually kind of want one now.

Too bad it has subpar cooling, I had a feeling that would happen TBH when i heard about it the first time.

Bad choice of parts to use in a box that size. It should be twice as big IMO to accomodate better GPU cooling. Throttled to 200ish MHZ at one point apparently. Thats disgusting IMO. He says it himself, under load, the Zotac box with a lower spec outperforms the Brix. Brix is good for i5 with onboard graphics. Beyond that, its ridiculous. Its asking too much, thermally, from technology designed for 4 times the cooling.

I have to wonder if a 750TI would fair better in that environment considering its much lower wattage and heat output.

I wish that was the size of a Gamecube, so it'd be big enough to be cool and quiet, and maybe rugged with a handle too :p

2001 is calling. It wants its videogame console back. :drool:
I'm amazed noone has created a copy of that form factor as a console or desktop, with 2 boards like the brix.

It's small enough to be portable, it's semi-rugged, and large enough to fit massive heatsinks, lots of ports, 100mm push and pull fan, dual 2.5" drives.
Could use a reasonable sized 24V power brick and then DC-DC convert down to local voltages internally.
GC is too small for standard RAM DIMMs, but a with a diagonal riser stack you could fit two or even FOUR.

Damn thanks button is reply was.

I'm amazed noone has created a copy of that form factor as a console or desktop, with 2 boards like the brix.

It's small enough to be portable, it's semi-rugged, and large enough to fit massive heatsinks, lots of ports, 100mm push and pull fan, dual 2.5" drives.
Could use a reasonable sized 24V power brick and then DC-DC convert down to local voltages internally.
GC is too small for standard RAM DIMMs, but a with a diagonal riser stack you could fit two or even FOUR.

Damn thanks button is reply was.

Someone should make a mod for just that!

I love these things, thinking about getting the i7 version with on board 5200

Don't think this form factor can support discreat graphics yet.

I'd like to see that with an APU combined with discrete graphics. It could be AMD's time to shine! Sure, it wouldn't be as powerful, but it wouldn't need as much heat dissipation either. It would probably be all you could fit in that form factor. That way part of the graphics power is on the CPU as well instead of all being concentrated in the lower part of the board.

What sort of performance could you pull out of it if you figured out how to add some top end server fans? The physical profile is quite similar to that of one processor section of a 1U or blade server.

Someone should make a mod for just that!
its been done :D
pc-computer-case-mods-nintendo-gamecube.jpg

BUT with components comparable to whats in the Brix?

God, I hope not. The Brix has established that you can't fit a 760 into a box the size of a large fist and get away with it. Why would you want to do it in a gamecube?

Whats the point of using parts where you can only get up to 40 percent load without throttling? Why didnt you just use lower wattage cooler running parts in the first place? I guarantee you a 750Ti without throttling in the Brix would smoke that 760. They just did the stupid thing and pandered to the uneducated masses who will see the specs and druel and buy one without thinking.

Besides, in a footprint that is admittedly larger, though not too much, you can get a 250D and have 240mm radiator, a 780, and a 4790K, all without throttling.

God, I hope not. The Brix has established that you can't fit a 760 into a box the size of a large fist and get away with it. Why would you want to do it in a gamecube?

Well if additional cooling and slightly more space headroom I would presume it could be done. Maybe a 750TI would work well in this scenario?
Whats the point of using parts where you can only get up to 40 percent load without throttling? Why didnt you just use lower wattage cooler running parts in the first place? I guarantee you a 750Ti without throttling in the Brix would smoke that 760. They just did the stupid thing and pandered to the uneducated masses who will see the specs and druel and buy one without thinking.

Yeah that is true, I about crapped myself when I saw the form factor and the specs, it all makes sense now that it was too good to be true. I would say what 1-2 generations of this type of tech to see this working?

Well if additional cooling and slightly more space headroom I would presume it could be done. Maybe a 750TI would work well in this scenario?

Yeah that is true, I about crapped myself when I saw the form factor and the specs, it all makes sense now that it was too good to be true. I would say what 1-2 generations of this type of tech to see this working?

It could already be done today with a denser, thicker cooler, eliminating the space for the 2.5" SSD/HDD in the top of the unit, and by using a 750Ti (at the most) and maybe a ULV version of the CPU. Linus said the CPU never throttled, but that it also never went over 50% load or so.

I just think this is a terrible product by Gigabyte. You're selling it to someone based on certain expectations (of full GTX 760 stock performance), and those expectations will not be delivered on, unless your room is 40 degrees ferenheit. Then maybe it would work.

I frown upon Gigabyte releasing this product with these specs.

I was referring to 760 level of performance in that timespan, as for the 750ti i believe you are correct. I also think gigabyte should have scrapped this idea before it hit the shelves. Very distasteful to see a product like this perform in the manner it does.

Very cool little box. Too bad about the throttling, but I bet a bit of creative engineering could fix that.

I could see someone attaching a 120/140mm radiator punching some holes on top and mounting it there lol

Back