• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Video Driver Crashing!!!!! HELP!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gexer

Hi I have been having trouble lately with my Radeon HD5770. Its been crashing whenever I play WOW or Crysis 2 Demo (Display Driver has stopped responding and has recovered). I don't know what the problem is because the problem started happening originally with my Radeon HD4670 so I thought it was my video card and I decided to upgrade. I was planning on upgrading and this was a reason to do it :p. Before I added the new graphics card I did a clean install of Windows 7 64bit and then installed the 5770. I updated all drivers including windows update and even updated my Mobo's bios. I have even done a uninstall of video driver ran driver sweep, rebooted into safe mode and ran it again and rebooted and installed latest driver and still had the same problem. I don't have the greatest pc but its been running smoothly up until now.
Currently my setup is
Amd Athlon II X4 620 (2.60ghz)
Corsair Xms2 4GB (2x 2gb) 800Mhz
Biostar TA790GXE 120M
WD 1.5TB HDD
XFX Radeon 5770 1gb Ddr5
2x Samsung Dvd-RW
750w Ultra LSP750P
Apevia Xplorer Tower With 160MM Fan 4x 80MM Fan

I would not recommend windows update for GFX drivers. I've seen more than 1 win 7 broken by an update for the AMD drivers. My guess would be a fresh install of win 7, then download the drivers ONLY from the AMD website and see where it leads you.

I just noticed something that may be of use to some one. I downloaded a program called HWMonitor and ran it while running wow. I noticed that with my Integrated GFX(RadeonHD 3300) the processor wattage fluctuates at around 45-78w but mostly stays around 45-49. But when I plug it back into my Radeon HD5770 it fluctuates up 106.40w

I just noticed something that may be of use to some one. I downloaded a program called HWMonitor and ran it while running wow. I noticed that with my Integrated GFX(RadeonHD 3300) the processor wattage fluctuates at around 45-78w but mostly stays around 45-49. But when I plug it back into my Radeon HD5770 it fluctuates up 106.40w

scratch that last post. I think I found a source of my problem while monitoring CPUID i noticed my errors usually occur when my voltage in the Graphics Card is at .95v when it is at 1.10v it runs with no problems at all. Is there a way to have it constantly at 1.10v. Im new to all this so any help is much appreciated.

THanks for replying fast.
I downloaded MSI After burner but its not letting me do anything to the Core Voltage.

Sorry I had to read up on what you are talking about lol. I believe I have the non-reference card according to a website because of the eggstyle cooler design and the ATI logo. Is there anyway besides afterburner to change the Voltage on my gpu?

Last edited:
ok Well the problems didnt start occuring til last month I thought it was a bad driver so I uninstalled/Safe Mode/Driver Sweep/Reboot/Installed New and Old Drivers and that was with my XFX 4670 so I decided to upgrade and the problem still occured. I was told it may be my PSU or It could be a bad Mobo. To play it safe I may just RMA both and see what happens after that.

Back