• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED ek fc bridge on 2 x 7970 temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

matt2950

recently fitted a ek fc bridge (see pic) to water cool my hd 7970's but just wondered about the temps.
both at 1.050v first card doesnt pass 50°c on core or vrm's but the second card (bottom card) is as much as 15°c hotter on both.

any one with a similar setup have the same problem?

at that voltage it's not really a problem but i can run 1150/1600 with voltages 1.231 and 1.300 and temps are hitting around 75°c and at that temps my watercooled cpu feels the heat too.

would adding another rad significantly improve things? currently just have 1 of these.
http://www.alphacool.com/product_in...XxoS-Monsta-360---White-Special-Edition-.html
which is a beast lol with 3 x corsair sp high performance fans, max 2150rpm

Attachments

• DSC_0038[1].jpg
    DSC_0038[1].jpg
    1 MB · Views: 136
recently fitted a ek fc bridge (see pic) to water cool my hd 7970's but just wondered about the temps.
both at 1.050v first card doesnt pass 50°c on core or vrm's but the second card (bottom card) is as much as 15°c hotter on both.

any one with a similar setup have the same problem?

at that voltage it's not really a problem but i can run 1150/1600 with voltages 1.231 and 1.300 and temps are hitting around 75°c and at that temps my watercooled cpu feels the heat too.

would adding another rad significantly improve things? currently just have 1 of these.
http://www.alphacool.com/product_in...XxoS-Monsta-360---White-Special-Edition-.html
which is a beast lol with 3 x corsair sp high performance fans, max 2150rpm

You don't have adequate heat surface for a CPU + 2 GPUs. If you added more heat surface it would lower your temps. What is your delta and ambient temps?

I am not sure what the FPI count on that radiator is nor do I know what the fan RPM is standard on such a thick radiator.

Delta on the 2nd card is about 25 degrees c give or take, about 15 on the 1st. Not sure on the ambient but they both idle in the high 20's

Thats on the low voltage when I up the volts delta more like 40 degrees c on the second card less on the first.

Delta on the 2nd card is about 25 degrees c give or take, about 15 on the 1st. Not sure on the ambient but they both idle in the high 20's

Thats on the low voltage when I up the volts delta more like 40 degrees c on the second card less on the first.

40c seems pretty high. You don't have enough radiators to cool it off. If you stay stock, obviously you can but if you're going to OC you will need more heat surface.

Rule of thumb in water cooling is 120.2 per chip. You get enough cooling and headroom for some OCing.

40c seems pretty high. You don't have enough radiators to cool it off. If you stay stock, obviously you can but if you're going to OC you will need more heat surface.

Rule of thumb in water cooling is 120.2 per chip. You get enough cooling and headroom for some OCing.

Yup, they way ive learnt is 120mm rad space per heat source, then plus 120mm (or 240) for extra!

also what pump is that powering that loop?

Yup, they way ive learnt is 120mm rad space per heat source, then plus 120mm (or 240) for extra!

also what pump is that powering that loop?

Just picked up xspc twin d5 res pump combo and alphacool 280mm ut60 rad. Currently have xspc x20 750lph think flow is a bit slow with it.

Just picked up xspc twin d5 res pump combo and alphacool 280mm ut60 rad. Currently have xspc x20 750lph think flow is a bit slow with it.

yea I think the limits on the X20 is around 1x cpu 1xgpu or 1xcpu 2xrads, depending on loop length

I have the x20 and id have to add a small pump and res if I wanted to block my cards.

we have the same case, its a beauty to work with and easy for loops! the only issue is that the 240 rad on the bottom is very close to the psu. so be cautious! have you got more angled fittings aswell?

if I were you id stick in a drain and a tube res for more water volume.

quite a set up youll have when done!

yeah i have corsair hx1050 psu its quite big. got the rad this morning and its a very tight fit scratched the front of the rad getting it in but cant see that bit anyway.
have 1 90 degree and 3 45 degree fittings, well i will have once the new rad and pump are in.

just fitted the new pump and rad. temp difference is huge neither card brakes 40 degrees C. on high volts still stay around 50 on both core and vrm's.

think it has more to do with the pump than the rad. very impressed by the pump powerful and very quiet. its this pump http://www.xs-pc.com/water-pumps/twin-d5-dual-bay-reservoirpump-combo

any1 know the lifespan on these? im currently running it on full cuz its so quite why not, but will lowering speed reduce risk of failure?

It looks like those pumps are D5 vario models with a blue rpm sensor wire. Laing is the OEM but many vendors, like XSPC or Koolance or Swiftech, make these and they are very good pumps.

MTBF is 50,000 hours or around 5 years although many have run them longer. Here is a review on Koolance's D5 vario version as it also has a sensor wire: http://martinsliquidlab.org/2011/04/03/koolance-pmp-450-d5-vario-pump/. Should be nearly the same pump that you have.

I don't know if they last longer at lower rpm. Mine are quiet and I have a restrictive CPU block so I also run my pair at max. They will each turn 5 years old this summer and have never given me problems. Good luck. :)

just fitted the new pump and rad. temp difference is huge neither card brakes 40 degrees C. on high volts still stay around 50 on both core and vrm's.

think it has more to do with the pump than the rad. very impressed by the pump powerful and very quiet. its this pump http://www.xs-pc.com/water-pumps/twin-d5-dual-bay-reservoirpump-combo

any1 know the lifespan on these? im currently running it on full cuz its so quite why not, but will lowering speed reduce risk of failure?

It has alot to do with the added heat surface as well as the added pump power. I would leave both pumps at level 3 or 4. Most people who have a single loop like yours use one D5 pump and leave it at setting 4. I'd imagine you don't need the pumps at full blast. I'd probably mess around with it and figure I'd think setting 3 for both is your best bet. Not to mention how silent it will be. You basically want 1.0-1.5 GPM is the right going speed in the loop.

Back