• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HS/F on AIW 9600 Pro

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bchur83

I just recently started having problems with the fan on my BBA AIW 9600 Pro. The fan has started to slow down. I am guessing that the bushings/bearings are going out. I have had the card since June 2003, so I am guessing that it is out of warranty. ATI cards do have only a one year warranty right? If it is out of warranty, I will probably end up replacing the stock HS/F with an aftermarket one. Do you guys have any suggestions as to what aftermarket HS/F will fit this card? Also, it has to be able to fit within my Shuttle SFF case, so it cant be one that takes up more than the single rear slot. Any help is appreciated.

Sounds like it could be on its way out - can you check the cards temps? Are they kinda high? Is the fan making any funny noises? Tried cleaning the dust out of it?

I dont have a thermal probe to test the temp, but it gets pretty warm during gaming. I can still hold my finger on the HS without getting too hot. The fan makes a low pitch hum. If I stop the fan with my finger, it speeds up to full speed, but then slows down again, like it is out of balance, or there is play in the bearings/bushings. I have cleaned all of the dust out of it, but there wasnt hardly any dust on it. I am pretty good at keeping it clear of dust. I regularly clean out my case. I think that the fan is about toast. Any ideas on a replacement aftermarket HS/F for it? I also just ordered a new Sapphire X800 PRO VIVO, so that will become my main card. I would still like to get this one up and running ok in my backup rig though

People say that the iceberq4 doesn't fit all 9600's. You could try an Orb NB cooler maybe (google it). I think you can run without the fan if your case has good airflow. Or just ghetto mod a fan to blow on it.

Back