• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I believe Motherboard is culprit, how do I go through RMA process?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ugh Trents it started BSOD'ing yesterday haha. It's still at 1.36785 voltage in the BIOS.

Turn the multiplier back .5x. Test with Prime95 for two hours and see if it passes. Report back with reports from HWMonitor of max core temps and CPU temps. Or get a better CPU cooler to support higher core voltage.

What's the multiplier and where is it located in BIOS? I don't recall changing multiplier by the way. I'll head into BIOS right now.

"CPU ratio" maybe? You didn't change the mulitplier. It's at 16x stock. Try putting it back to 15.5x.

What case do you have and tell us about the case fans: How many? How big? Where? Direction of flow? All you say in your Sig is "stock case fans". What is the case? I'm wondering if you have poor case ventilation and heat buildup.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119246

11-119-246-TS

This case is not exactly the same but it looks very similar. I noticed on the one pictured above /linked above there is no case fan on the glass panel. Mine has one. Other than that it looks somewhat the same (although possbly smaller too but hard to judge). I got it when I first built the PC a couple years ago.

Only case fan is the stock one at the back of the case. I still doubt it's heat but ok. Also last time I cleaned the dust bunnies out was a few months ago with an air duster.

Also set the multiplier to 15.5x. I checked CPU-Z and it says 15.5x at ~3100 MHz. Do you think a minor underclock might fix it? I don't mind losing 100 MHz lol.

You only have the one fan at the back of the case? That's not good. I would be concerned with motherboard components getting too warm and causing instability. Are there places for more fans in the front of the case? If you're looking to do an upgrade in the near future, that's where I would start; with a new case that is. This is one place where beginner builders typically take shortcuts. A good wide case (at least 8") with plenty of clearance to the side panel for tall, aftermarket coolers and plenty of fan mounts. Good case ventilation is essential to when you are running hot CPUs like yours. You might also try removing the side panel and running the Prime95 blend test and see if it helps.

This is a great choice for not much more than you paid for yours after the rebate is taken into consideration: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119233

Ok I took off the side panel and will see how temps/things are. Also before I start thinking of buying a new case or anything in general, should we try changing the RAM settings in BIOS or RMA'ing my motherboard (since it's free)?

Ok it definitely is not a heat issue as the computer BSOD'd 10 minutes in even with the side panel removed.

Just realized that I put the memory sticks in the wrong slots (there are 4 in my motherboard). They were in separate channels A and B. Would having one stick in each channel cause BSODs (as opposed to putting them in the same channel?)?

BSOD'd again after putting the memory sticks into the correct spots. I can try putting the two sticks into the other two but other than that I don't know what else to do other than get ready to RMA either the memory or motherboard.

My PC has been working fine for almost a month. I forgot to update the thread with information.

Solution?
I just moved both memory sticks to the other two slots. Once I hit 2 months in June I think it's safe to call it fixed.

Thanks Trents for your many posts and anyone else who cared to post c:

Back