• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Compression Fittings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hardass

Ok my first time using these things. When I put the tubing on the fitting there is no way I can turn the outer part without using pliers. I thought these were only suppose to be finger tightened. Am I missing a trick or something?

Just to be sure do you have the correct tubing and fittings? What are the inner and outter diameters of both your compression fittings and your tubbing?

They are supposed to be able to be finger tightened but depending on the brand some are harder to tighten than others

Using Swiftech G1/4 Lok-Seal Compression fittings and ClearFlex 60 Tubing 3/8" ID 5/8" OD
It is the Swiftech fittings. I have 2 Bitspower fittings that came with a Rad and I can almost completely hand tighten them.

Last edited:
Sorry I don't have any experience with Swiftech fittings but for instance between XSPC, EK, and Bitspower fittings with everything else the same the Bitspower were the easiest to attach and the XSPC were the most difficult to tighten.

What I've learned is to make sure its a straight attempt. What I mean is that both parts of the fitting are aligned before you start to tighten. Even the smallest miss will give you difficulty and you will lose some skin on your fingers lol.

Hopefully someone who has used those fittings or brand at least will chime in as well

I have to use them or I will have to wait until next week for new fittings to arrive and I have a 4 day weekend coming up.:eh?:

I'm not saying don't use them. I'm just saying some are more difficult to use than others in reference "supposed to be finger tightened"

This may sound silly but take the fitting and a unused portion of tubing (one that is not attached to anything), make sure the tube is as straight as possible and try attaching it free from anything else. If it goes on smoothly then you know its probably an angle issue. If not it will allow you to play around with it without risking damaging anything else

I'm not saying don't use them. I'm just saying some are more difficult to use than others in reference "supposed to be finger tightened"

This may sound silly but take the fitting and a unused portion of tubing (one that is not attached to anything), make sure the tube is as straight as possible and try attaching it free from anything else. If it goes on smoothly then you know its probably an angle issue. If not it will allow you to play around with it without risking damaging anything else

I knew what you meant. I was just saying I have to use them so I can complete build this weekend. I have already tried the tubing on a fitting free from attachment. So tight it is tough just getting it started.:mad:

Oh I understand the frustration. I have somewhere north of 30 fittings in my build and the skin on my thumbs is just starting to feel normal again. Keep at it and don't be afraid to use pliers...just be gentle.

I believe the swiftech fittings are designed to be used with any household wrench. That's what I recall when I read their website a few months back.

I have always used bitspower compressions. But I did buy swiftech fittings when they first came out, but I dont use them as they are a pita to use.

It depends on tubing brand you use, but for example my primochill advanced LRT, I cant even get the outer ring to mate with threads without using a lot of force, and then definitely need a wrench to tighten. Some other brands of tubing (obviously with slight differences despite same dimensions), fit a little better per other users posts. But all tubing using swiftech requires a wrench.

Swiftech made the barb side a larger bore to maximize flow, and tight tolerances to ensure firm grip....but I just went back to bitspower which work fine and much easier to work with.

I got a feeling the reason monsoon provide a tool Is for this exact reason. my compressions are tight as hell.

with compressions the hose has to match the fitting size, that's for sure!

I got a feeling the reason monsoon provide a tool Is for this exact reason. my compressions are tight as hell.

with compressions the hose has to match the fitting size, that's for sure!
I was just about to mention the tool. Maybe the ones you have had a tool like the monsoon series. Did you buy them new or from a forum and someone didn't send you the tool?

Yeah no tool with this. But I have a huge tool box sitting in work room.:D

Flow problem

I am running a 655B attached to a 150mm Res. 240 Rad in front and a 360 in top. Routing is. From pump - to Front rad - Front rad to top rad - top rad to cpu - cpu to gpu - gpu to top of res. Flow seems slow for this pump. Anyone see a problem in routing.

Last edited:
thats exactly what I was going to say!!!

has the loop been running or are you experiencing this on the first run?

It had been running a half hour or so on and off. It may just be that I am use to using 1/2 ID tubing and with this pump the water would blast back into the Dual Bay res I was using back then. This 3/8 tubing and fittings has to be more restrictive. Just does not seem right. I may try another pump tomorrow and see.

Back