• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Seti@Home Computation error on AMD FX-8350

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The 120 size isn't much for this chip for half the cash the Coolermaster will do the job. That Seidon won't be enough to OC neither will the air cooler but with the Closed cooler you'll have other issues with the MOBO heating up cause there won't be any air blowing over the Heat sinks on the NB and VRM. Buy an extra fan for the Hyper and it''ll work for ya.
EDIT: On a second thought when you pull the V8 off tomorrow check the spread pattern on the thermal paste It might just be a bad contact!!

The 120 size isn't much for this chip for half the cash the Coolermaster will do the job. That Seidon won't be enough to OC neither will the air cooler but with the Closed cooler you'll have other issues with the MOBO heating up cause there won't be any air blowing over the Heat sinks on the NB and VRM. Buy an extra fan for the Hyper and it''ll work for ya.
EDIT: On a second thought when you pull the V8 off tomorrow check the spread pattern on the thermal paste It might just be a bad contact!!

So basicly check the pattern off the spread and when its bad just reseat the cooler with new TIM. if I am still unsure seat the standard cooler instead. what air cooler would you reccomend?

the one on my HTPC and yeah if you didn't have enough or too much patse that is a problem or even air pockets.

the one on my HTPC and yeah if you didn't have enough or too much patse that is a problem or even air pockets.

How about a Scythe Mugen 3? Scrap that they cannot deliver the mugen 3 Rev.B anytime soon here.:(

Last edited:
The hyper 212 pro is hard to beat for value and performance

That's cool but the only hyper 212 I can find online for my country is the hyper 212 Evo. and it's also dirt cheap @ 22 euro's I dont think we are talking about the same heatsink though.

If it's the same heat sink as this one then it is the same one. They are really good heatsinks for the money. If you are only planning on stock to mild overclocks it is definitely the one to get.

If it's the same heat sink as this one then it is the same one. They are really good heatsinks for the money. If you are only planning on stock to mild overclocks it is definitely the one to get.

Yes it's exactly the same. Im going to order that one tomorrow then :)

Have you checked out the HS mount yet?

Yes I mounted the stock HSF this morning. The mounting off the V8 was just right. The thermal compound spread was fine too.

I am now 100% sure of it being a issue with the V8. New CPU cooler is incoming.

Sorry for the double post in advance. Today I found my syringe with Artic MX-4 in one off my moving boxes :) If people are still interested in finding out if the heatsink contact was at fault I can build the V8 back into my case with some new thermal grease, and then do a couple off tests after. I for one am still wondering. I would actually prefer to keep the V8 if it is possible and not get the Hyper 212 since it doesn't fit well with the theme off my build xD.

Hey man that's up to you !! I would it costs nothing but the time to do it!!

Then I will just do it :)

Did it. New hardware monitor temps @ little to no load.(just spotify and some background torrents etc.

HSF was mounted fine but I do recall using some really old coolermaster thermal paste I had lying around the house the last time I remounted the heatsink. (the grease was still in the blister though, but with pictures on how to use it on socket 478 and the k7 socket, THAT OLD xd)
That might have been the culprit

Seti@Home still gets the pc fairly hot though. Although it does seem to flatline @ 63 to 64 degrees celsius now, which I think it a lot safer and cooler then the 80 degrees celcius it reached before.

Attachments

• 2O7bz.png
    2O7bz.png
    27.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 2O8by.png
    2O8by.png
    97.4 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
That's definately better try with the side door off your case. See if you need more air moving through!

That's definately better try with the side door off your case. See if you need more air moving through!

I agree its probably on the hot side still. So I know now I am pretty much forced to get another CPU cooler. I do however think in my honest opinion that the Hyper 212 Evo looks very bland. So currently I am scouring the interwebs for another cooler that cools equally well and looks a bit cooler

How about a Corsair H50 or something like that(Antec Kuhler 620 looks nice too)

Last edited:
blamauci, if you can find one used I like the look of the Prolimatech Megahalems and it's one damn good heatsink, I bought one on Ebay for $15.00 with s/h. Out of the 5 different Heatsinks I have it is hands down the best performer.

Thank you guys for all the tips. The only Megahalem I could order was the Supermegahalem which did not come with AMD mounting hardware.(Prolimatech makes some crazy choices)

So I have ordered a Scythe Mugen 3 Rev.B it was in stock so it should come in @ about 1-2 days :)

Hey guys this morning my new mugen 3 rev B came in. I installed it and ran 20 mins prime95 and temps are absolutly awesome :) never went over 60 degrees celsius on the CPU temp.

Seems that the V8 was really the problem. Thank you guys for all the tips and troubleshooting. My rig is crunching happy again :)

Back