• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

E4300 C2D with IHS Removed: Massive Improvements (56K Warning)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bryan_d

Greetings all,

I had my E4300 running at 3GHz with stock voltage, but temperatures reached 72C with my RevA Ninja with a Scythe fan. I had an extra Sunbeam 775 Silent Whisper in the closet, and thought I would get adventurous...

Already tried lapping it...
IMG_0244.jpg
CD-rom screws, new blade, foam from old SLK-800
IMG_0248.jpg
Protecting the pads...
IMG_0250.jpg
Cutterization commencified...
CopyofIMG_0249.jpg
Do not be fooled, there was no "true" DIE to IHS contact...
IMG_0269.jpg
Hoping the DIE was not dead...
IMG_0253.jpg
Foam for pressure, and protection...
IMG_0259.jpg
Lapped the Sunbeams base
IMG_0256.jpg
CD-Rom screws to secured to Thermal Right backplate...

IMG_0266.jpg

It was pretty nerve racking, especially when first cutting into the rubbery material, but all went as smooth as my other "shim" removals (X800GTO2 and Sempy 2600+).

I have this now running passive, and reaching a maximum temperature of 60C! That is a 12C drop. :) I still need to devise a means of securing my 92mm FSP fan to the Sunbeam.

For a passive 12 dollar cooler, I simply cannot complain. The Sunbeam is the same as the AC7Pro, and I chose to use it over the Ninja for peace of mind.

Thanks for looking all,

bryan d

PS - Sunbeam was purchased last year with rebate deal.

Thanks Evilsizer,

I had the itch to risk destroying something, after being denied from two critical classes towards my major. :) I figured, I either pull it off and get some nice temps, or I kill it and buy a quad. Lucky for wallet, it went smooth.

Funny thing is, I was too lazy to grab the AC5 or ICD7 in the attic, so temps could be better than what the Cermique is delivering...

Thanks again,

bryan d

PS - Did you notice that the blade is only 25 cents? That's right... your E7200 is begging to get the same treatment as your avatar...

Thanks Evilsizer,

PS - Did you notice that the blade is only 25 cents? That's right... your E7200 is begging to get the same treatment as your avatar...
you saying i should cut my avy out? NEVAR!! 3DFX 4 life! hahha, to bad i cant SLI some PCI 5500's, that would be epic for the forums wars. o wait i got my atom box, i could bench with that...hmm this might be fun!

No no no,

I guess the comment would have been more effective if the subject in your avatar was in fact fully nude...

UPDATE:

5 mins with a food magazine:

IMG_0276.jpg

58C fully loaded with Small FFT's.

I wonder what my load temps will be when winter rolls along...

bryan d

PS - Not advertising for said web page printed on poor-person CPU duct.

Last edited:
lol that NB cooler looks familar, not tring to highjack but check this out.

7300gsp.jpg

58c for passive isnt bad at all IMO.

I bet some 4-40 screws can net you 55C. :)

umm i was saying your temps werent bad... actually while the HS is warm, GPUz says it never gets over 52-54. i might be off but i need to double check, all that pc does is just 2D no 3D at all.

NO BEN... the E4300 in your htpc is just fine temp wise!... NO NO DEIHSing *smacks himself*

i think ima leave it as is... nicely lapped, thought about doing the IHS but really dont want to mess with my mobos retention bracket. as well as having to make a nice bolt through mounting system for my zalman 9700...

umm i was saying your temps werent bad... actually while the HS is warm, GPUz says it never gets over 52-54. i might be off but i need to double check, all that pc does is just 2D no 3D at all.

Whoops, I thought you were still thread jacking. :) I am still surprised of how limiting the IHS truly was... and to believe I knocked off roughly 5C when I lapped it too!

NO BEN... the E4300 in your htpc is just fine temp wise!... NO NO DEIHSing *smacks himself*

i think ima leave it as is... nicely lapped, thought about doing the IHS but really dont want to mess with my mobos retention bracket. as well as having to make a nice bolt through mounting system for my zalman 9700...

You know that with your horizontal HTPC setup, you run minimal risk to your BARE CPU die, because gravity is working for you.;) And the retention bracket came off in one 0.5 second pull, just to let you know; no harm is done when removing the retention module:

Easy as... removing a retention bracket

C'mon...

IMG_0277-1.jpg

Bryan d

All these people removing their IHS's lately makes mine want to join the nudist colony as well and mate full force with my TT120...

Whoops, I thought you were still thread jacking. :) I am still surprised of how limiting the IHS truly was... and to believe I knocked off roughly 5C when I lapped it too!

You know that with your horizontal HTPC setup, you run minimal risk to your BARE CPU die, because gravity is working for you.;) And the retention bracket came off in one 0.5 second pull, just to let you know; no harm is done when removing the retention module:

Easy as... removing a retention bracket

C'mon...

IMG_0277-1.jpg

Bryan d

eh my htpc is in a standard upright case i wouldnt have a problem cracking the core... i have had 3 p4's that i have poped the top on and never had problems... its just i couldnt risk it on my awesome e4300... stock = 1.8ghz @ 1.325v... it likes it at 3ghz @ 1.250v... udervolted ocd!

I could have sworn I saw somebody selling cpu shims just for this purpose. Basically a metal border to go around the core, the same height as the core, so the heatsink is held steady and won't push down too hard. You've got my gears spinning.....

EDIT: Damn nevermind they're all for old AMD cpus. I wonder if some kind soul would take measurements and have some made in bulk to sell them for a dollar mailed in envelopes for 35 cents? :santa2:....:screwy:

Last edited:
I wonder if some kind soul would take measurements and have some made in bulk to sell them for a dollar mailed in envelopes for 35 cents? :santa2:....:screwy:

The old AMD black pads should work for the purpose. Basically I use the pads for when I am aligning the HSF, because that is when most trouble occurs from my experience. Once it is on, I crank the screws down so tight that the arms are actually bending; straight pressure should not harm the die, it is only when you start apply pressure that is not perpindicular to the die's face that problems arise.

... E4400...

If you have a HSF with a small foot print, and are in need of lower temperatures, then go for it!

bryan d

Back