• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

5870 questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Albion72

Registered
My Catalyst Control Center for my ATI 5870 displays my 5870's current values as

157mhz for gpu and 300mhz for memory.

This is really low... I can play a lot of games fine and on max, why is CCC displaying these as the current clocks?

Those are idle clocks to reduce power consumption and heat. Clocks will increase when the card is stressed.

Those are idle clocks to reduce power consumption and heat. Clocks will increase when the card is stressed.

Ah I see.

What does manually setting the sliders do? Limit how high the clocks can go under stress?

Also, I tabbed out while running a game (Arma 2) and checked. The current values did not change. Are they supposed to change?

Last edited:
Ah I see.

What does manually setting the sliders do? Limit how high the clocks can go under stress?

Also, I tabbed out while running a game (Arma 2) and checked. The current values did not change. Are they supposed to change?

That's because when you alt tab out you left 3D mode and went back into 2D. If you use MSI afterburner you can have it show in a graph what your clocks are so you can see them change in 3D mode.

That's because when you alt tab out you left 3D mode and went back into 2D. If you use MSI afterburner you can have it show in a graph what your clocks are so you can see them change in 3D mode.

Ahh ok.

I'm using a Cooler Master HAF 932 for a case, using all the fans available.

What are the highest stable clocks I can set my 5870 to before things begin to get hairy?

Ahh ok.

I'm using a Cooler Master HAF 932 for a case, using all the fans available.

What are the highest stable clocks I can set my 5870 to before things begin to get hairy?

That is just something you will have to find out on your own. Each card behaves differently, and while most will clock similarly.. most people will have different results. Try bumping your clocks about 5-10mhz at a time and run some games or benchmarks to test for stability. 3DMark06 or Vantage make for decent stress tests, but nothing will run a graphics card harder than Furmark.

Back