• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Xbox One

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
No lol, my point is you can't unplug the Kinect without disabling the entire console. Sure sure you can turn the kinect off but how long before hackers figure out how to reactivate it remotely? Anything connected to the internet has the possibility to be hacked into. I unplug my computer from the internet every night...

my point was you talked about turning the power off to your phone (removing the battery) and turning th epower off to your tv and/or unplugging from the internet. This can be done on the xbox too. Always on, yes, but if the unit has 0 power it isnt on, I will be seriosuly impressed when hackers can turn a device on and hack it without any electricity. If they can do that a kinnect camera is the least of your worries :)

Have you ever typed with the on screen iPad keyboard? It's horrible. I doubt it will ever replace it, yes you say there are bluetooth keyboards but then wth is the point spending $1000 on a tablet when you can get a higher performing laptop with an actual keyboard...

Again missing the point entirely. The iPAD is useful to a degree, very nice for watching films etc on the train and casual internet browsing, but is useless if you want to do significant typing or anything intensive. Also the software available for it is extremely limited.

My point was never tablets in their current form would replace it, I was alluding to the fact hybrids of some degree will.

It really is though, you'll know if there are any unauthorized charges on your bank account.

You wouldn't really know if anyone is watching you with your webcam...

Most of the time your bank account details are stolen you dont know about it, the people who steal en mass dont take the money themselves, they usually sell on 1000s of bank account details at once to people elsewhere, they can be used for all sorts of nefarious purposes, one of which is identity theft to one degree or other. If someone does that well, you wont know about it unless baliffs come knocking. But even the more obvious, stealing my money, id be more pissed if lost the cash in my current account than if I found out someone had watched a video of me in my lounge. Believe me, I am not very interesting to watch in the evenings.

The Lenovo Helix is really expensive. The ASUS Transformer is not as hot as people thought it would be. Microsoft's Surface products are also too expensive currently. Tablets right now are either companion, presentation or content consumption devices. There isn't a decent amount of people that use them beyond that.

You currently correct on all accounts except calling the surface pro expensive. A common misconception comparing it to ARM based tablets. Comparing it instead to what its competeing against, the people who have a macbook air and an ipad, those with an ultrabook and a nexus 7, which costs upwards of £1500+.

If it will take off or not, I dont know, however thats where I personally see home computing going.

The tablet market is way out of whack, as cheap as $129 to as much as $1300 and they're all very close to each other in performance. I love my Asus tablet, I also have the Blackberry Playbook but I almost never use it anymore due to lack of useful apps (and no native Netflix so I had to use Flix).
my point was you talked about turning the power off to your phone (removing the battery) and turning th epower off to your tv and/or unplugging from the internet. This can be done on the xbox too. Always on, yes, but if the unit has 0 power it isnt on, I will be seriosuly impressed when hackers can turn a device on and hack it without any electricity. If they can do that a kinnect camera is the least of your worries :)

I have an Android smart TV and there's no power off, pwering it off actually sleeps it which bugs me so I unplug it manually. Turning the X1 off will probably just sleep it and like they said, every 24 hours it'll automaticlaly log your account in if it's logged out so the best option is just to completely disconnect the power when not in use. Electricity is getting more expensive and more gadgets these days are lacking a true power off option, which is a kick in the nuts.

At least the PS4 doesn't come with the camera and doesn't require one to be connected for the unit to operate, bet on it that Microsoft will change that with the X1.

I have an Android smart TV and there's no power off, pwering it off actually sleeps it which bugs me so I unplug it manually. Turning the X1 off will probably just sleep it and like they said, every 24 hours it'll automaticlaly log your account in if it's logged out so the best option is just to completely disconnect the power when not in use. Electricity is getting more expensive and more gadgets these days are lacking a true power off option, which is a kick in the nuts.

That is kinda my point. Most things nowadays sit in standby when people think they are off. Turning it off at the plug is the only real way of turning most devices off, and you can still employ the same technique on the xbox one

ye the tablet market is a little out of balance, just because its popular and lots of people want parts of the cake :bday:

slowly over time the high end tablets running fully fledged windows will come closer to the significantly less powerful ARM bretheren (iPADS, nexus, playbook etc) but the hardware just isnt that cheap/power efficient yet (Haswell looks like a good start :) ).

Ya just unplug it... what do you people think is going to happen if the xbox1 is unplugged for more than 24 hrs??? lol... nothing, nothing is going to happen

next time you turn it on, it'll check your account for list of games you own.
Simple

Also if you are worried about the kinect having to be plugged in all the time, and the camera watching... shove it into a cabinet with a door... problem solved.
lol, I can't believe these are the problems people are worried about

Ya just unplug it... what do you people think is going to happen if the xbox1 is unplugged for more than 24 hrs??? lol... nothing, nothing is going to happen

next time you turn it on, it'll check your account for list of games you own.
Simple

Also if you are worried about the kinect having to be plugged in all the time, and the camera watching... shove it into a cabinet with a door... problem solved.
lol, I can't believe these are the problems people are worried about

You're right! Small potatoes compared to all of the other issues associated with the Xbox One. Kinect itself being a required component, always on internet needed, the used/rental game markets potentially being destroyed (especially small businesses), not being able to play Xbox360 games, pointing responsibility (blame) to publishers, restrictive trading, etc. :rolleyes:

Might as well drop the gamer title and be known as console system administrators from now on.

You're right! Small potatoes compared to all of the other issues associated with the Xbox One. Kinect itself being a required component, always on internet needed, the used/rental game markets potentially being destroyed (especially small businesses), not being able to play Xbox360 games, pointing responsibility (blame) to publishers, restrictive trading, etc. :rolleyes:

Might as well drop the gamer title and be known as console system administrators from now on.

all the other "potential" issues.

The world is changing, how we consume content has changed from 10 years ago and will keep changing.
Keep up or be relegated to the sidelines.

I'm very interested to see "how" Microsoft tackles these challenges(used games, sharing, etc) in the coming months/years.

I remember a time when I hated the idea of digital download on the PC and always demanded a disc... couldn't care less now

Microsoft will address everybody's concerns when the PS4 is outselling the XB1 by a 4 to one margin and the Wii U is keeping pace with it.

Apparently they weren't just "potential" issues after all. They were major issues that will hopefully no longer exist.

po·ten·tial
/pəˈtenCHəl/
Adjective
Having or showing the capacity to develop into something in the future.

From a consumers perspective, as I am one, it actually looks like they were "potential" issues that never materialized.

Semantics... wanna keep playing?

Xeon, that made me laugh.

Wonder if they'll drop prices next, for One.

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/update

Shocking really.

It just shows you that they didnt have to do it in the first place, just seeing how far they could push before massive backlash and promises of defeat in the console wars. The real title to that news update should be "We tried to swindle you and now we're deathly balls-to-the-wall afraid of losing money, so we caved"

Microsoft at its best -_-

While we believe that the majority of people will play games online and access the cloud for both games and entertainment, we will give consumers the choice of both physical and digital content. We have listened and we have heard loud and clear from your feedback that you want the best of both worlds.

Why the hell wouldn't you have both worlds in the first place? Like they did with Microsoft Office. There is the one time payment version where you OWN it and it doesn't go away ever, and the Office 365 where it's a subscription, all of that cloud nonsense, etc. What is the problem with having both? Some people like the cloud (Although I can't see why, beyond the ability to rapidly transfer between unrelated/different OS devices) and some people do not. If they would've had this idea from the beginning there would have been no problems. The same issue exists with Adobe Systems and their insistence on the cloud, no more Adobe CS one-time payment software, only the Creative Cloud. Horrible, and I do believe it makes them more money in the long run, so it is also out of greed while using the "cloud" buzzword. Why not have both?

Last edited:
Back