• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IE Autocomplete backup?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

medo145

Is it possible to somehow backup form field autocomplete data and import it on a new machine?

Thanks

Highlight the TypedURLs sub-key in the registry under the following branch...

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\TypedURLs

... then select File--> Export. Save the file to a thumb drive, etc., then on the new machine select File--> Import from the registry editor. Or just double-click the saved *.reg file to merge it into the registry.

I'm not actually looking for the typed urls in IE, I'm looking for data that has been typed into form fields on websites using IE.

AutoComplete form data... I missed that part. Export the following key...

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\IntelliForms\FormData

I guess I should have mentioned that I tried that, but nothing seems to pop up on the new machine. Is there another key that works in conjunction with that one?

Possibly... do a Ctrl+F for FormData w/ the Computer key highlighted. You might also have to log in to the hidden administrator account... possible privileges issue? That's why the FormData entries are in binary (protected).

This is for a domain user, I figured that the sid would be the same on both machines. Maybe the issue is due to the fact that he is going from xp to win7.

Edit.

I just noticed that the pc does not have FormData, what it did have was

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\IntelliForms\Storage1
and
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\IntelliForms\Storage2

Those are the keys I imported to the new pc with no success.

Last edited:
Backing up form data for a domain user is a little different, including exporting it while in XP and importing it into Win7.

Wouldn't it still be the same key if I'm logged in as that user when going through the registry?

Back