• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NewEgg vs. Compbrick etition

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

psykomedic

I am not one to bash competition but in the past I have ordered thousands of dollars worth of items from Amazon, Best Buy, and multiple other online and brick retailers. Years ago I bought a Toshiba Qosmio from CompUSA online. When I decided to do a custom build with my son I wanted to go back to them, only they didn't exist anymore. They are now New Egg. Over the last week I have purchased almost an entire system from them piece by piece. All of items were shipped with free shipping and had them all at my house 2 to 3 days after purchase. Just a forum Attaboy for good customer service.

Glad that you had a good experience, but actually CompUSA was bought by TigerDirect, not Newegg (unless I am mis-remembering)

edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CompUSA

Systemax operated CompUSA retail stores in Florida, Texas, Georgia, Illinois, Delaware, North Carolina, and Puerto Rico, as well as CompUSA.com, a retail website and a dedicated catalog site for businesses. On November 2, 2012, it was announced that Systemax would drop both the CompUSA and Circuit City storefront brands, consolidating their businesses under the TigerDirect brand and website.

Wow I remember CompUSA & Circuit City. Back in the day I used to go to CompUSA on a regular basis to get stuff. They had a decent enough selection, but their prices were meh. Circuit City, on the other hand was a joke.

I wished they didn't close CompUSA. I'm sure if they would've adjusted their pricing and had a better selection of parts, the store would've been awsome. A shame they're all gone.

Top it off if was only 15 minutes away from me :D. Now the building is a Planet Fitness :rolleyes:

Systemax used to advertise on one of those QVC or HSN channels about their "Complete Computer Packages" starting at only $1199!! :rofl:

Wow I remember CompUSA & Circuit City. Back in the day I used to go to CompUSA on a regular basis to get stuff. They had a decent enough selection, but their prices were meh. Circuit City, on the other hand was a joke.

I wished they didn't close CompUSA. I'm sure if they would've adjusted their pricing and had a better selection of parts, the store would've been awsome. A shame they're all gone.

Top it off if was only 15 minutes away from me :D. Now the building is a Planet Fitness :rolleyes:

Systemax used to advertise on one of those QVC or HSN channels about their "Complete Computer Packages" starting at only $1199!! :rofl:

Same. I remember going to CompUSA because unlike the local BB and CC, they actually had a selection. These days the local BB only ever has 2, maybe 3 graphics cards, about 2 HDDs, and no CPUs, aftermarket cooling, or any of that stuff. The local CompUSA did. Not great prices, but still good for that occasional "Oh crap, I need X, Y, and Z NOW!" moment. Why yes, when I was younger, I did make my dad drive me there every weekend so I could blow my allowance on some random case LEDs or CCFL tubes, why do you ask? (Most teenagers get a drivers license and pick up an old used Honda and toss Walmart chrome hubcaps and a fart can on it. I had a PC with CompUSA brand fans and case.)

Plus they were the only local places that had Bawls by the case :D

If you search the threads here, many of us referred to it as CompUSSR. Fond memories indeed (especially with the crappy PNY GeForce 5xxx and 6xxx with parts falling off. :)

Back