• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking to set up two monitors

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blernster

hey guys, new user here. I'm looking to set up two monitors on my Avatar FX6164. I got it a while ago, all stock parts, and I currently have a 32inch monitor, using it threw a hdmi cord.
I read that I might need two video cards to run two monitors, but I honestly don't know if I have that with my computer, or if I need to buy another. I know very very little about computers, and have tried googling 'Can I run two monitors with my Avatar FX6164?' but couldn't find anything. Could anyone take a quick look at the newegg page (i'll post it below) and tell me if I can use two monitors? Thank you so much :)

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883258020

Does the back of the pc have different video outputs? Hdmii, vga, displayport, use the other one(s) you are not using. ;)

Does the back of the pc have different video outputs? Hdmii, vga, displayport, use the other one(s) you are not using. ;)

seriously, it's that easy?
yes it does. it has the normal monitor hookup so i could use that as well as hdmi that i use now

Last edited:
seriously, it's that easy?
yes it does. it has the normal monitor hookup so i could use that as well as hdmi that i use now

Yup, it really is! Windows should then auto detect and display the picture on both screens. You may need to tweak it slightly to set it up perfectly through windows

Your graphics card is the GT 640. According to a quick google search you should be able to run 3 monitors off that card if you would like. You should be able to run an additional monitor of the motherboard display output also for a total of 4 if you wish.

I'm having a similar issue (similar) but only involves sound. What all would I need other than connections to both TV and Monitor in order for both to have their own sound source?

Example; HDMI to TV (for watching Netflix/Hulu/Youtube)
DP/HDMI to Monitor (Browsing/Gaming)

Reason I ask is because it's become annoying going into settings to swap where the audio is sent (tv or PC speakers) each time I start up youtube or any other video but still have the audio set going to a different source. All I'm trying to accomplish here is having whatever audio/video source is on that device being it the TV or Monitor to have that audio with it on that device.

What I'm working with here:
Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2 (latest BIOS)
Windows 8.1 (har har har, laugh it up. my wife got my OEM copy of 7pro on my old MOBO)
HDMI cable
DP to HDMI cable
XFX HD6950 (because im old school)

Currently my GPU is sending audio to the tv Via HDMI and the PC speakers are obviously plugged into the MOBO.

And now a fancy picture to represent what I'm talking about....
illustrate.png

Last edited:
Back