• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rumor: Nvidia Renaming 800 Series!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GTXJackBauer

Water Cooling Senior Member, #TEAMH20HNO
Although it was expected that Nvidia Corp. would release its new GeForce GTX 800-series graphics cards for desktops this September and October, the company has decided to skip the GeForce 800 family for desktop PCs and jump straight to the GeForce 900 line of products.
Model numbers of modern central processing units and graphics processing units have been criticized criticized for years since in many cases they barely reflect performance and positioning of products and in many cases cannot even determine their generation. At present Nvidia offers high-end GeForce GTX 700-series of products for desktop computers. At the same time, the company sells GeForce GTX 800M family of products for notebooks. What is rather confusing is that both lineups – the GTX 700 and the GTX 800M – are based on similar chips powered by the Kepler architecture.
In a bid to avoid confusion with its upcoming families of graphics processing units for desktop and mobile computers, Nvidia decided to sell its products powered by the second-generation Maxwell GPUs code-named GM200, GM204 and other under the GeForce 900 moniker, reports VideoCardz.

nvidia_artwork1.jpg

As a result, Nvidia is now expected to formally introduce the GeForce GTX 970 and the GeForce GTX 980 graphics cards on the 19th of September, 2014. The GeForce GTX 960 is projected to arrive sometime in October.

Not sure how reputable this site is so take everything with a grain of salt.

Source

Found another site that is stating the same thing.

Source

Oh boy.

I changed the title, which describes the thread better.

:facepalm: My apologizes and thanks for saving the thread Thid. :rofl: I am going to blame that error on my "sleep walking while using the computer out of jail card".

No problem at all. Wanted to make sure people didn't get the idea that nvidia cancelled the lineup, instead of renaming it.

No problem at all. Wanted to make sure people didn't get the idea that nvidia cancelled the lineup, instead of renaming it.

I got mixed up with reading the comment sections of a few articles. People actually believe they are skipping 800 and getting 900 series performance from 700. :rofl:

Wouldn't surprise me. They already did this once when the GTX3xx "Fermi" delays started stacking up. Released a bunch of GTX2xx parts under the GTX3xx name for mobile and for OEMs, then made Fermis into GTX4xx.

Any mention or word of a GTX 960TI (or 860ti I guess)? Not just a regular 960 (or 860...whatever)?

Typically the TI cards come out somewhat later, to fill in the intentional gaps between affordable and less so. The less so people already paid more than they needed to, the affordable people didn't get enough performance and buy a TI, resulting in two sales rather than one.

While I really rather dislike Nvidia's marketing practices, they're quite effective.

While I really rather dislike Nvidia's marketing practices, they're quite effective.

Well yes, if you dupe the customers into thinking they are actually buying the top of the line brand for $500+, in most cases $650-$800+, than pull the rabbit out of the hat than yes but hope it catches up on them in declined sales with the result of reduced priced goods to benefit the consumers.

kind of like the GT line up, using old femri cores but labled as 7xx's now... FAIL!

just got to watch the core count, thats for sure but even then. if you see one with the higher 384 core count it could be one of two cores. sigh, i will go back to CSGO now.

I was thinking, the new linup would be based upon maxwell architecture like in gtx 750. If its kepler, it will be a big dis-appointment in improvements made. Or maybe maxwell architecture is more suitable for notebook graphics due to extremely low power consumption. Any light on this?

I was thinking, the new linup would be based upon maxwell architecture like in gtx 750. If its kepler, it will be a big dis-appointment in improvements made. Or maybe maxwell architecture is more suitable for notebook graphics due to extremely low power consumption. Any light on this?

The article says the 900 series will be Maxwell

Back