• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

9800 uses 15micron chip to slow!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If die size is everything, go buy an FX5800ULTRA or R9600PRO.

Should not have said that. Now the thread is ready to turn into a FX vs. 9800 pro thread.

But really, what is it about 400mhz and why does it bother you?

Would you be happy if someone built a card with 1/10 of the transistors (and functionality) of a 9800 pro but clocked it at 1Ghz??

Would a 2MB S3 Trio card kick *** at 3Ghz today? I don't think so...

It's the quality that matters, not the quantity.

Re: Re: 9800 uses 15micron chip to slow!!!

PreservedSwine said:

Who cares what process it's on.

If die size is everything, go buy an FX5800ULTRA or R9600PRO.

Of course, neither one of those holds a candle to the an R9800, but at least it's on a .13die...

nail on the head, are we getting hung up for nothing out there????

cisco kid

Albuquerque said:
The "mod" I have done is the 9700 mod to enable the other four pipelines, it is not a voltage mod nor is it any sort of hack. It's a different driver that allows the 9500 non-pro to use all eight pixel pipelines...

Why are you so dense? 400mhz doesn't mean jack squat, it has nothing to do with "doing it's job". If you want a video card who's job is to perform at more than 400mhz, go buy an NVIDIA 5800FX Ultra. That one will do more than 400mhz.

The only problem is, it still won't perform better than the 9800 will.

no could not keep quiet

er not as dense as u when it comes down to it 400mhz does mean jack.if they came up with a better processor for the 9800 we would be abble to go past the 400mhz and get better results ...
but they have not they used the same one and named it 350 thats all
:)

spiritedandy said:
er not as dense as u when it comes down to it 400mhz does mean jack.if they came up with a better processor for the 9800 we would be abble to go past the 400mhz and get better results ...
but they have not they used the same one and named it 350 thats all
:)

First off, what the hell are you trying to say?? Er not as dense as u... Yeah, ok, um welcome to the Engrish Langeruage. :rolleyes:

Next, if I'm understanding you correctly, you're somehow blaming ATI for not making a processor that does more than 400mhz? Why in the hell should they? They wanted it to do 350mhz, it does exactly what they want it to!

What next? Are you going to blame Intel for making a 3.06HT processor that DOESN'T DO 4ghz? Are you stupid?

Nevermind, I already know that answer...

OC-Master said:

Like that poor man in your avatar. He isnt allowed to see or talk.. So sad :(

OC-Master

Isn't that such a tregedy? :cry:

Albuquerque said:
What next? Are you going to blame Intel for making a 3.06HT processor that DOESN'T DO 4ghz? Are you stupid?

Nevermind, I already know that answer...

OMG, the fastest Intel CPU on Vr-Zone's CPU database ONLY does 4.6Ghz!!! That SUCKS so bad! I think I am going to e-mail Intel about this and threaten them with not buying their CPUs if they didn't produce something better! :p :p :p :D

well im sorry to have name called you ..thats just best left to five year olds...

im so sorry i have an opinion as well.....

im so sorry that i sliped with a knife last week and hacked through my nerve and tendon...

im so sorry that my typeing is awful

im so sorry for starting this post

but it did get the temp up a little

:D :D

spiritedandy said:

but it did get the temp up a little

:D :D

Making sensless conclusions, getting angry for no reason, and insulting people who are trying to explain things to you tends to get pretty annoying.

I say good day to you sir.

Forgot to add my 9700 pro ran at 418 with modified air cooling. I have yet to run my 9800 pro on anything other than my shuttle nforce 2 micro toaster pc but I managed in the 17.5K with the little thing *LOL*!!! I am hopeing to hit in the 20,000 when I put it on one of the monster pc's I build :)

PreservedSwine said:

Making sensless conclusions, getting angry for no reason, and insulting people who are trying to explain things to you tends to get pretty annoying.

I say good day to you sir.

if you look back its me who was insulted for having an opinion...
not at all sensless its what ive read in reviews....

accurate thats realy good what type of mod did you do ?
att larger fan?

The 9700 pro had custom sinks and a zalman heatpipe cooler with 80mm can on the chip side, also lapped the contact patch to 2000 and removed the shim on the 9700. Was stable ay 418mhz gpu. The new 9800 I have just has the stock heat sink and I used artic silver 3 on it, also made custom sinks for the ram and man that baby is sick, but so far rock stable at 450 / 780. Ran loops of 3d mark for hours. Stock sink was scalding hot and so were the ram sinks because my toaster shuttle does not cool to well, worked on cooling mods until now "4:52 am" and managed to drop the cpu temp 10C and the card after 3d mark scores is mild to hot, not blistering to nuclear. Oh yeah and no volt mods were done to either card and did not change the voltage in the bios because the shuttle does not have that option :p

wow im looking into different cooling for mine now !
thanx for reply ive looked at youre 3 d score good overclock excellent score i live in hope :)

maybe this isnt so slow after all with a bit of work on it:)

I'm using one of the first 9700 Pros ever made.

It can do 350/330, but not much more on stock cooling.

I don't care, it's a screamer and I got it for a really low price secondhand. :)

Back