• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Another succesful 9500np->9800 mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Unfortunately my 9500np didn't make the softmod 9700 without artifacts. It's ironic though because for actually gameplay the 9500np is excellent even though the 3dmarks doesn't look great but at the same time if I want the softmod does work in that it gives the extra 3dmarks because 3dmark doesn't care about artifacts. In any case it's all rather foolish but I'm hooked on the idea of getting the 9500np to softmod perfectly.

I was wondering if anyone who got some artifacts and checkerboards via softmod 9500-9700 and ever managed to eliminate them via better cooling or some other means. I still haven't applied my thermaltake crystal orb or tweakmonster ramsinks and if there was the chance that doing that would get rid of the artifacts I might try that instead of buying another board and just selling this one.

Also does anyone know if a o/c 9500np can equal or near equal the performance of the 9700np. Thanks

If you enable the other 4 pipelines on the 9500NP, it is a 9700NP, so the performance is the same. Some can get them to 9800 speeds, though they lack the new features in the 9800, so they can't be called a real 9800.

I'm wondering about cooling too. I don't really know what effects it will have on the card . . . Honestly, I don't think that cooling will help much. Disabling that hierarchal(sp) Z thing is supposed to help some people.

It might help if you describe the nature of the artifacts . . .

In this mod, there's a difference between artifacts and checkerboarding (or at least that's what I've read).

Z

If I order the 9500np today from newegg, what are the chances I will be able to soft mod it successfully? From the reviews I've noticed alot of people were getting them to work but I want your opinions.

Edit: Someone said the red PCB's is the one that is almost guaranteed to work and newegg's pic shows a red PCB. Does that mean newegg has the red PCB's for sure or is that just a sample picture?

its the l-shaped ram you gotta look for

but its the saphire 9500 np that works...

but its not a guarantee, its gambling :)

Hmm, now I'm really contemplating the idea. I'm looking for a new ati graphics card and this sure beats spending $250+ for a radeon9700pro but I'm a little scared. Is there anyone who recently got that card from newegg and not have it worked?

The one pictured on Newegg is with L-shaped RAM, so look at that picture. That's what you want. It's the Sapphire Radeon 9500 non-pro 128MB card. I got it about a week ago, and the mod was successful, but I get checkerboarding.

Z

Your guess is as good as mine on the price drop. The card pictured is the same as the one I got, but that's about as much help as anyone is going to be able to be. It's a gamble . . . Newegg is not responsible for advertising the "correct" picture, as it's still the same card. That's why they won't advertise which stepping is on a chip and such.

Checkerboarding is exactly what it sounds like. In enabling the other 4 pipelines and the other 128bits of memory bus (whatever), when you play a game or run a benchmark, you'll see artifacts that look like a white and grey checkerboard somewhere on the screen. Some people have it everywhere, others only in a few places. Some have it on bootup, some only in games and benchmarks, and some only specific to certain games or types of games (OpenGL or Direct3D). If you've got it, you'll know it.

Z

So guys..... (says he about to buy a new card on a limited budget) am I better off buying a 9500Pro or a 9700??

It sounds like performance will be similar.... am I right???

Thats it. if its the same card as it shows in the pic. Altho it shows a diff hsf, so that might be something to think about.. Also, on the back they put the Serial#/maf stickers ON the Ram chips... So you couldnt add ramsinks w/o removing those stickers. (not a bad thing for some)

But other wise its worth a shot. might wanna see if they rma card them selfs or if they'll make you go through ATI. if ATI then you might be screwed if you mod it wrong.

Good luck.

**i should get mine from newegg today. ordered sunday @162. then they drop to 150, and a few hours later there out of stock. i wonder if theers something to that? hmm

I think I'm going to go ahead and order from Allstarshop.com Their resellerrating for the past 6 months is 9.84 which is surprisingly high for a vendor I've never heard of before, and they have a one year warranty on that card. If only they were not located in california, damn this california tax curse.

Dissolved said:
Thats it. if its the same card as it shows in the pic. Altho it shows a diff hsf, so that might be something to think about.. Also, on the back they put the Serial#/maf stickers ON the Ram chips... So you couldnt add ramsinks w/o removing those stickers. (not a bad thing for some)

But other wise its worth a shot. might wanna see if they rma card them selfs or if they'll make you go through ATI. if ATI then you might be screwed if you mod it wrong.

Good luck.

**i should get mine from newegg today. ordered sunday @162. then they drop to 150, and a few hours later there out of stock. i wonder if theers something to that? hmm

Ordered Friday at (of course) same cost. Should be in this Wends/Thurs.

Back