• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bent Socket pins?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shadowdr

I got my Gigabyte UD5H and 4690k yesterday, got second day air so I could install before the fourth. Removing the mobo and looking it over, I opened the socket to install the CPU and noticed a few weird things. I have never had an Intel rig, well not since 98, but the socket just didn't look right. There were three pins that were obviously longer than the rest, kind of in random places but all in the top section and there were two pins to the left that appeared to be bridged with solder but were still gold. The bridge felt kinda rough as did one of the longer pins. Well I didn't really think that it would make any difference or that it maybe it was supposed to be like that.

I went ahead and placed the CPU in the socket and pushed the lever down to secure. The plastic cover popped of and it seemed to take more pressure than an AMD but then again the pins on them are on the CPU and just drop into the holes. After several hours of installing everything, no boot. Kept stopping at C3 or 3E but never could get any display or beep. After trying everything I know to try, I disassembled it all and put my AMD rig back in.

Removing the CPU I could see that the socket pins were all bent in one direction on the top portion but not near the bottom, at least they look that way. Changing the viewing direction makes them all look uniform except for a few. Some look as if the laid down in a random direction, like the three longer ones.

Is this normal at all on an Intel? Are any pins longer than the rest? Are any bridged? I was very careful placing the CPU in the socket but it would only fit in one place, so I don't think that I should have caused any socket damage but as it won't boot, something is wrong. Is it possible to damage the pins when installing the CPU if it fit in the notches? I'm not sure where to go from here at all.

Post pics. ;)

I went ahead and placed the CPU in the socket and pushed the lever down to secure. The plastic cover popped of and it seemed to take more pressure than an AMD
You remove the cover before you try to install the CPU.

Iirc...read somewhere that Intel actually said that's how to do it?

As a longtime expert pinbender....something definitely seems weird with your socket. Can you post some pics so everyone can take a look? Afaik...there shouldn't be any pins "laid down in a random direction, like the three longer ones"

Actually I was following the manual because I never had an Intel before, It said to install with the cover in place. I am adding a photo but the size of the clear ones are a little to big.

Attachments

• IMG_0084.JPG
    IMG_0084.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 744
I already see for or five bent pins just from the picture. You might be able to straighten them out, but you are better off with a replacement. Gigabyte may not give you as hard a time as Asus.

"three longer ones" All the pins should be the same height, yep sounds like RMA or a new MoBo :(

Also, next time remove the plastic cover before placing the CPU in the socket and never force it.

If the plastic cover sits on top then leave it on!

If it's underneath then remove it first.

If it's on top it's better to let the CPU pop it out rather than risk bending pins by taking out the cover :) it's even written on a label on all asus boards!

If the plastic cover sits on top then leave it on!

If it's underneath then remove it first.

If it's on top it's better to let the CPU pop it out rather than risk bending pins by taking out the cover :) it's even written on a label on all asus boards!

I disagree! The pressure of pushing the lever down to pop out the cover may have bent the pins. The cover may not been strait and caused damage.

I already see for or five bent pins just from the picture. You might be able to straighten them out, but you are better off with a replacement. Gigabyte may not give you as hard a time as Asus.
I tried using a needle to straighten out a few but they just spring back into place and a few are actually attached to another.

Larger, clearer photo possible? Maybe a couple diff angles?
I will try and edit a few and get them under the size limit.

I disagree! The pressure of pushing the lever down to pop out the cover may have bent the pins. The cover may not been strait and caused damage.
It could be but that is what the manual said to do and not knowing better,,, I have to ask, should installing the CPU bend any of the pins? I am not sure if the pic's will show it but they All bent over in mostly the same direction. Maybe the Refresh is thicker?

Attachments

• IMG_0081A.jpg
    IMG_0081A.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 506
  • IMG_0082a.jpg
    IMG_0082a.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,213
  • IMG_0083a.jpg
    IMG_0083a.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 639
Looks like you are right, I hope that I didn't cause it myself installing the chip but it would only fit in one place before tightening the lever and I don't think that it should have happened. Don't they test them all with a CPU before sending them out? Guess I will find out how they are with RMA's.

One thing that nobody said was if they're pins are all straight or not cause all of these are leaning some.

Hope that RMA goes ok for you.
Generally, most manufacturers see bent pins as a user error and will balk at RMA's.
GL bro.

Hope that RMA goes ok for you.
Generally, most manufacturers see bent pins as a user error and will balk at RMA's.
GL bro.

Yeah, I am hoping they will find the longer pins or the one with slag on it that bridges two of the pins and fix or replace it just for that. Just installing should not IMHO bend any pins and I cannot see any reason that they did.

I will not be leaving the safety cap on it while installing the CPU next time. In retrospect it should have popped off long before the lever reached the clip. I may have been misleading in my OP as I did have to pop the cap off after the lever was engaged trying to keep the post short, but still I did what the manual said.

While I don't really know if I caused all the pins to be bent prying the cap off or even if they are supposed to be bent slightly or straight, the randomness of the ones bent differently appear to be an inconsistency in length. Can anyone answer this? Are the pins supposed to be straight up or slightly leaning?

Anyway I have applied for an RMA and we shall see what happens.

Not at all! If the processor was placed in the socket as it was supposed to be then there is no way that pressing the lever down could've bent any pins!

I work with motherboards all day at work and have never bent a pin doing it this way!

but yes.. manufacturers are very hesitant to RMA boards with bent pins at 99% of the time it's user error, i have seen pins bent out of the box before but that's very rare... the manufacturer may agree to do a chargeable repair if they won't honour the warranty.

Back