• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone read about AMD's future APU's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If AMD managed to pull this off wouldnt this mean they own the patents like they do with the AMD 64 you know INTEL had to rent the 64bit tech off AMD though they renamed it to EMT64 or whatever.

But this would mean a new thing wouldnt it and other would maybe have to pay to borrow it?

I am more interested in these CPUs than BD. I want to see what AMD does with BD 2.0. Aka Pile driver.
Who isn't? AMD has surprised me several times over in the past. And watch [DO NOT MAKE THIS A RUMOR OR FACT] pretty soon they may make a modular CPU. Plug in your core, plug in your GPU bit in the center and lock it. It's like they are like Cave Johnson, but only of the CPU world.

If AMD managed to pull this off wouldnt this mean they own the patents like they do with the AMD 64 you know INTEL had to rent the 64bit tech off AMD though they renamed it to EMT64 or whatever.

But this would mean a new thing wouldnt it and other would maybe have to pay to borrow it?
Technically, they own patents over several things now. They own 64bit, ATi, Multicore Tech, APU, Eyefinity on One GPU, Super GPUs (GPUs with some ridiculous amounts of shader cores), threading. Intel is actually (Or should be) paying royalty for Multicore, 64bit, and threading.

Intel as far as I know only receives royalty (or should be) from AMD for the Ghz fix.

Then again, this was some time ago. Things may have changed.

Yup, I'm actually hoping to hold off till 2013.... I want to see how things work with those vector based APU's they're promising for that time frame.

http://www.techpowerup.com/160422/AMD-quot-Trinity-quot-APU-Models-Further-Detailed.html said:
In the second quarter of this year, AMD will launch its next-generation accelerated processing unit, codenamed "Trinity", starting with quad-core A10 and A8 parts in the quarter, followed by dual-core A6 and A4 parts in the third-quarter of 2012

Leading the chart is the A10-5800K, designed for gamers and overclockers on a tight budget. This chip packs 4 "Piledriver" architecture cores (based in two modules), with 3.80 GHz (stock) and 4.20 GHz (TurboCore) frequency, 4 MB total cache, and Radeon HD 7660D graphics

The HD 7660D has 384 Graphics CoreNext stream processors, HD 7560D has 256 of these, the HD 7540D has 192, and the HD 7480D has 128.

APU_Linep.jpg

http://www.techpowerup.com/162843/AMD-A10-5800K-quot-Trinity-quot-APU-Tested.html said:
INPAI got its hands on an A10-5800K APU, and supporting socket FM2 motherboard, and wasted no time in comparing it to the current-generation A8-3850. INPAI put the two chips through SuperPi 1M, to measure single-thread performance, and 3DMark 06, to measure embedded-GPU performance. In SuperPi, A10-5800K crunched SuperPi 1M in 23.775 s, the A8-3850 did the same in 26.039 s. With 3DMark 06, the A10-5800K scored 9396 points, while the A8-3850 scored 6223

Looks like AMD is stepping up there game a bit GCN wasnt expected to hit APU land until 3rd generation. I have a feeling that the lack luster acceptance of gen 1 FX processors is going to benefit us in the long run by pushing AMD to get some of there new tech integrated faster.

APUs are probably going to be my build of the future due to the fact that most machines I build are for light to midrange gamers and editors. Just did my first one (3670k) and am impressed with the performance and value of it for that kind of user.

Enthusiasts or heavy gamers? Not so much. It definitely has its place though, and I think AMD has a winner on it's hands. My money's on Intel following suit in the near future.

Haven't had a chance to do any clockplay on the 3670k yet but should in the next few days, and will post numbers in another thread at that time.

Enthusiasts or heavy gamers? Not so much. It definitely has its place though, and I think AMD has a winner on it's hands. My money's on Intel following suit in the near future.

I agree with that sofar. I think that if they pushed it to 3 modules instead of 2 and upped the GPU count to around 600 with the ability to dual GPU with say a 7850 you could say heavy gamer and enthusiast approved. Would it be bleeding edge but that would be enough power to satisfy like 90% or better.

As for intel following suit well they can try but the simple truth is Intel makes ****ty graphics.

As for intel following suit well they can try but the simple truth is Intel makes ****ty graphics.

Completely true up to this point. I think that's a function of Intel being much more "stodgy" in their thinking than AMD though, rather than any inability on their part to make a good on-die iGPU. When Intel sees the value (read: money to be made) in this market that's currently completely owned by AMD, they definitely have the resources to make something great and compete with AMD, and I think they'll figure that out sooner rather than later. If for some reason they don't, my honest opinion is we're going to see an AMD-owned mainstream market.

I really applaud AMD for not trying to "out-Intel" Intel in the CPU market, and instead bringing truly disruptive technology to the table.

AMD Trinity To Be Nearly 30 Per Cent Faster Than Llano it looks pretty promising.

If the 35w TDP Laptop Trinity can play Dirt3 at playable frame rates and high settings on said laptop i'm impressed, if the Desktop one can run Dirt3 on 3 monitors @ 1600 res from just the on DIE GPU i'm very impressed, even if the Anti Aliasing is off, i think it would be far to much to expect it to do all this at fully pumped up 1080P over 3 monitors... just this is more than expected, its very good!

Its not something i would buy (for myself), but AMD fans have been starved of some good news and nice WIN innovations. This is a win and good news.

Last edited:
ridiculous performance bump

With AMD's new APU's the performance boost on the graphical front is ridiculous .
a Radeon 7660D Xfire'd with Radeon 7670---gotta be kidding ....couple this with 16 gb 2133 ram and youve got a gaming demon.

All this is great if it really does perform better than expected and has a similar price point to Llano.

"THIS" time if AMD keeps up to schedule and doesn't do another performance hype...it would be a great buy.

Really strange this much GPU power packed into pc. :shrug::bang head:thup:
trying to compete directly with ps3 and xbox 360....:sly::p:D

With AMD's new APU's the performance boost on the graphical front is ridiculous .
a Radeon 7660D Xfire'd with Radeon 7670---gotta be kidding ....couple this with 16 gb 2133 ram and youve got a gaming demon.

All this is great if it really does perform better than expected and has a similar price point to Llano.

"THIS" time if AMD keeps up to schedule and doesn't do another performance hype...it would be a great buy.

Wouldn't that be great....but....been around long enough to not believe it until it's been released.

There not trying to compete with Game Consoles, the xBox 720 and PS4 will be driven by AMD CPU and GPU hardware :D

Probably some form of Trinity APU.

Frakk what i meant was the radicalism these APU's provide in the world of commercially controlled computing environments. No one cared less 20 years ago to do something like that. And eventually it has happened now.
Intel and other cpu companies have abused AMD for making APU's as its not standardized nor does it obey any norm. AMD plans for serious GPU compute by moving away from CPU's and cycling and delegating data between the two. :bday:

Yes, they call it total fusion, Intel spiting feathers over it is music to my ears. there obviously worried about something.

Wow, I only just noticed this thread. Awesome news!

Hey Frakk, I've not seen you on BF3 in a bit. Did we scare you off the other day?

Hang on, 29% better IPC than Bulldozer? How? The last report was that PD would spot 10-15% improvement IPC, thats a massive improvement from what they were saying.

If this turns out to be true, it looks like I'm up for a mainboard + CPU replacement rather soonish. I may not even bother with discrete graphics!

EDIT: My bad, I got excited too easily without thinking. Thats faster than Llano, not BD Still, I wouldn't mind pairing this with a new 7000 series graphics card!

Last edited:
Wow, I only just noticed this thread. Awesome news!

Hey Frakk, I've not seen you on BF3 in a bit. Did we scare you off the other day?

Hang on, 29% better IPC than Bulldozer? How? The last report was that PD would spot 10-15% improvement IPC, thats a massive improvement from what they were saying.

If this turns out to be true, it looks like I'm up for a mainboard + CPU replacement rather soonish. I may not even bother with discrete graphics!

EDIT: My bad, I got excited too easily without thinking. Thats faster than Llano, not BD Still, I wouldn't mind pairing this with a new 7000 series graphics card!

You guys are scary, but not that scary :D its just unusual for me to be around at that time :)

Anyway as i understand the dual GFX APU mularkey you can only pair up a stand alone GPU that is similar to the one in the APU, so that would be an OEM 7670, which is a rehashed OEM 6670, there about 60% of the performance or my 5770.

So a 6670 / 7670 + APU would equate to an FX-4100 + 7770 at the cost of an FX-4100, a 24 pack of Fosters, a bag of crisps and a packet of ****. <- yes there is an aparently noughty word there, but not were i come from :D

Good deal, but what would be better is if the APU's GPU's performance was added to whatever stand alone GPU one ended up stick on the MOBO.

picture.php

Back