• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Samsung SSD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

onefstsnake

Well I finally decided to get an SSD. Currently running a Sata II 500gb Black as a boot drive.
Looking at the Samsung 830 series.

Worth waiting for the 840 series? NE has the 128gb for $149 pre order.

Also from what ive read the Intel is a close competitor to the 830 and supposedly their tool kit is better...

Lastly Im sure it would be better to just do a fresh install for my OS on the SSD but could I simply use a program to copy my boot to the SSD?

Seeing as how the 830 costs not much more than 100$ right now, I would go with it. The performance difference between intel or the 840 series won't be noticeable except for the higher price.

Looking at the 256gb 830
$169 at NE.
Worth $20 for Norton Ghost?

I will be using this on a Rampage III Formula, which has the Marvell SataIII Controller.
From what Ive read this controller is junk... :(
Still worth getting a SataIII SSD?

Last edited:
Looking at the 256gb 830
$169 at NE.
Worth $20 for Norton Ghost?

I will be using this on a Rampage III Formula, which has the Marvell SataIII Controller.
From what Ive read this controller is junk... :(
Still worth getting a SataIII SSD?

Yes, still worth getting the SSD. Actually it has been found that the SSD's perform better on the sataII ports despite the Marvell having the higher bandwidth. The bandwidth only counts with sequential read and writes while the sataII ports are much better at everything else.

If your going that big then wait out for the sammy840 IMO and make sure you get the Mlc one not the TLC. The TLC is going to be cheaper on per go but has much lower write speed vs the Mlc version. The TLC is roughly 20 cheaper vs the Mlc, don't worry to much about being Sata2 and almost all things you do, I doubt you will notice a difference between sata3 vs sata2. Unless your one to do a lot of data moving or editing big video files etc.

Yes, still worth getting the SSD. Actually it has been found that the SSD's perform better on the sataII ports despite the Marvell having the higher bandwidth. The bandwidth only counts with sequential read and writes while the sataII ports are much better at everything else.
Not just that but the on board chips are connected via pcie 1.0 lanes vs 2.0+. If I recall right they are connected via one lane but if you get the pcie based cards they are using four lanes.

Just like you said though stick with using the intel controller despite the higher sata spec rating.

I sometimes do edit 10gb+ raw video files.

I thought about buying a 3rd party sata card but I hope to be able to upgrade to a 1155 or 2011 setup within the next year.

Thanks for the input.

have you looked at the specs of the drives?
if you look at the MLC drives of the 830's vs the 840's.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...NodeId=1&name=256GB&ShowDeactivatedMark=False

then if you just think of comparing the 830 mlc vs a 840 tlc
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100011693 600374185&IsNodeId=1&name=TLC

seems i lost track of pricing too! :eek:
256gb 840 mlc = 269
250gb 840 tlc = 199.99

i guess of comparing a 830 mlc to the 840 tlc, the write speed is doubled and the price is really sweet. though i keep comparing the two different 840 drives and that TLC is new nand for the market. i personally would wait to see how TLC fares before buying but if i was one at the forefront i would give it a go esp for the price.

im still very happy with the performance of my two first gen ssd's. i really dont feel the need to upgrade them, that is until i just want too.

IMO its probably not worth waiting for. The 840 is faster but TBH the difference between it and other SATA3 SSDs of any type is unlikely to be seen from the users point of view.

the 830 will be hard to beat for value while at $170 for 256gb. nothing wrong with the drive either. thats prolly where my monies would go

Well I just ordered the 256gb 830.

Now I just gotta find my Win7 disc and other program discs lol.

Anything I should do prior to installing the OS?

if you are going to do a new install win7 should take care of most everything that it needs to. just make sure to run the performance bench tool within windows

win7 will do most of them once it knows its a good fast ssd. you can turn off restore and delete all the files that it does to save space if you want, as windows wont turn that off

ok.
Ive just seen all these guides on turning off all sorts of things to optimize ssd speeds.
http://thessdreview.com/ssd-guides/optimization-guides/the-ssd-optimization-guide-2/

Not sure how much half of the things in that guide actually make a noticeable change.

I just installed my first SSD last weekend (256GB 830), the Samsung Magician software has a tab called "Tune OS" which can help you turn off things like defrag and indexing... I thought it was a nice feature. I would highly recommend installing the Samsung Magician software as it's suppose to help the performance of the drive significantly.

You won't be disappointed in the 830 at all, the speed difference between an 830 vs 840 pro would be next to impossible to notice in day to day usage, you'd only see the difference in synthetic benchmark programs.

Is it possible to do a system restore after i install windows to the SSD?

Hoping to avoid reinstalling all my programs.

Well the new drive is quite a bit quicker than my old 300gb VelociRaptor.

Hooked up via Intel Sata II Im getting a max of 279mb/s vs 113mb/s on the raptor.

Attachments

• atto1.JPG
    atto1.JPG
    127.8 KB · Views: 66
If you are comparing drives speed, especially on SATA2 ports then better use AS SSD or Crystal Mark. In sequential transfers there is not so big difference between SSD and HDD as you may see in random transfers and access time.
I think that your VR should have higher transfers as even WD Black or other standard series have over 120MB/s. Maybe check cache options or just run defragmentation on VR.

Is it possible to do a system restore after i install windows to the SSD?

Hoping to avoid reinstalling all my programs.
Only way that you can use the system restore funtion(as far as I know) is if you copied the image from the old hard drive to the new SSD. This might still be possible if the old OS drive is still intact.

Back