• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need opinions on OS software

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Media

So I found out, which surprised me, that my daily use computer Dell Vostro is a 64-bit. Installed I have Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit, and I have another Windows Home Premium 64-bit.. can I just re-install this 64-bit, idk if it ever asked me for a serial since its Dell OEM OS. Or am I going to run into issues with activation? The other Dell now has Windows 7 on it, so this Vista disc is just sitting around. And the benefits of 64-bit persuaded my decision.. If specs are needed, here they are

Intel Pentium Dual 2.2GHz
2GB DRAM

IIRC you cant upgrade from a 32bit OS to a 64bit OS or vise versa.

All my rigs run Win7 save for an old laptop that runs Xubuntu, so id say go to Win7.
As long as you have a valid Win7 CD Key for each computer it should install just fine.

I don't know about vista, but I have been able to activate a 64 bit installation of windows 7 with a 32 bit key, no problems. Make a backup of your current system and give it a try. Also if you have access to a .edu e-mail address you can get win 7 pro, 32 or 64 bit for $64.95 from microsoft student discount (google search it)

Back