• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best way to dual boot Windows 8.1 and OSX on MBP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Didn't know if I should put this in alternative OSes or here, and I'm sure this issue has been beaten to death, but here it goes.

My dad has a Macbook Pro (I believe 2012, it's i7 based so definitely from the past few years), and he wants to put Windows on it. There's some Windows stuff he needs to run and he could never get the hang of OSX (if I do add 8.1, I foresee adding Classic Shell at some point). My question is what is the best way to dual boot OSX and Windows? The most popular way seems to be using Bootcamp, but I've been burned by the "popular doesn't always equal best" bug before, so I just wanted to get some other opinions.

I have never actually tried it, but the way I would try it is to install the operating systems after installing a good boot manager and, in the case of the Apple EFI firmware, an external EFI shell.

rEFInd seems to be adequate:
http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/

Back