• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whats your job?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Today is going to be HOT for working. Since I'm outside 8 hours a day, working in hot weather definitely isn't fun. Word on the street is, it's going to be 100f today. Awesome :-/

Haven't had a job for about 6 months now (and couldn't be happier about that).

Have two business ideas I'm working on for now, a computer/tech/game site and a gaming center (internet cafe).

diehrd said:
I forgot to mention...I have no education beyond a GED.Although I do NOT suggest people avoid getting a education.Just remember Businness is mainly about timing,and who knows who.A master degreed person may not be able to pull off the deal I have because of the 2 most important issues..Timing and who you know. :)

And lastly ambition beats education every time..So what ever you decide to do make sure you are ambitious about it because a person who LOVES and LIVES broom handles can be a million air..Where an educated resturant manager is just that, a manager.

Thats why getting an education can be an assit or liability.If there is no ambition,love for the work and desire to be the best...Then you may find your self employed by someone like me and resent it :)

I love your viewpoint. It's so true. A lot of people feel sorry for me or simply look down on me because I dropped out of college, and am financially poor. I actually feel lucky and gifted.

Timing and relationships are a huge part of business, but they're worthless without purpose. Which I'm sure you know first hand what I'm talking about. I've found that whenever I have a purpose, an intent, all the timing and relationship opportunities will magically open themselves up to me. So I don't even have to micromanage them.

My greatest challenge at this time is maintaining my laserlike focus and channeling all my energy into my new purpose, as opposed to my nearly two decades of ingrained habits.

Also do I detect a little bit of pride and status mongering? You seem to have a sort of "above" position with people who work for you, am I right? I think any business owner should be honored that someone is willing to team up with them and help them achieve their goals. For my net cafe idea, I plan to encourage all employees to be as independent and able to run the entire place as possible, and to continue to push the envelope in paying them and having a win win relationship with them all. They have to be in it for good or bad, if they want the good, just like me. Win-win.

By the way, my business ideas came about because of who I know and timing, so you're really onto something with that. :) Maybe I can learn from you :D

moz_21 said:
Well when this thread was started I didn't have a job. I was in college going for computer engineering but I dropped out after I realized I had no idea what I truly wanted. So I went out in the real world and got a plant job. I work at GKN Armstrong Wheels (in Iowa btw) where I help make heavy ag/industrial wheels.

I've been almost everywhere in the place. I did the crap work for a while, like putting the rim and disc on the wash line, or completed parts onto the paint line. I have helped the rim lines, packaging, and I was in the paint room for a little while.

Right now I'm in special wheels where we wire weld the center into the rim instead of a simple spot weld. They are also heavier than most of the ones ran by the spot welders. It's still dirty, oily, hot work but I can move at a slower, more comfortable pace.

Anyhow, pay is good ($10.40 starting, I'm up to $12.55 (+$1/hr for an off shift) but the hours aren't; I never have a weekend off. Hell, I've been 21 for over 3 months now and still haven't had the time or felt like going to a bar! It's very labor intensive but I don't truly mind what I do there. I have decided that I won't work there for the rest of my life though, just a couple years to save some money and stuff. Maybe if they had a union and didn't treat all the employees like ****. Big fat maybe. :p

I was goin to college for computer engineering as well and dropped out for the same reasons around the same age, and worked as a janitor for 8.00 to 10.75 an hour. It took nearly 4 years of that + a few months being unemployed for me to finally start to know what I really want to do. And by want to do, I don't mean "as a career" or "for money" or "contribution to society" but rather, a path.

Good luck feeling out your path.

rainless said:
I'm living proof that you can be paid fantastic sums of money (relatively speaking) just by being yourself. I've never had to kiss anyone's *** in my entire life and, if my life depended on it, I wouldn't. If I make it past forty it will be a triumph for individualism, and if I don't, very few people that will shall have managed to cram as many things in one lifetime.

Absolutely inspiring!

Im interning at IBM. 8 hours a day typing numbers from sheets of paper into excel. Boring as hell, pays good though (ch20/hr, or ~$16/hr)

rainless said:
Yeah but sometimes I really have to WORK at the brooding... Like did you ever feel the cold, dark, emptiness of your soul just isn't enough? :)
I must say that raised my spirits some.

As of now i am cooking for a half-*** decent; restaurant something like an olive garden. It's not bad for kitchen work. Was going to school for a bit but ran out of generals so i figured id not waste anymore money (approx. 15k:bang head ) till i get a clue. As long as i finish college or get a real job before my oldest niece i figure ill be fine, that leaves me with about 6 years.

19 here.

I work at a local arcade making sure the games are up to snuff. I also work there as a part time manager, mostly filling in for managers that want a day off. Those two add up nicely.

I also work at a local business called "eTec". They create training videos for concrete certifications. I am an "Independent Contractor" here, so it isn't full time yet.

This is in the summer while I'm not at school. The eTec job I can do from up at college, so that one follows me.

I'm 19 and do a little bit of everything. I operate my own company on the side and work at an IT company in Woodlawn. I've done Korn Shell scripting under Solaris, created and administer Infopath forms, administer Sharepoint servers, build RIS images, etc. All kinds of stuff :)

time to update what i am doing for my job :)

i'm now working for a company called apparatus who holds contracts with quite a number of companies both small and large. i am working at eli lilly & company in web hosting operations tier 2 support.

it was sort of funny how i got a job with apparatus because i wasn't really looking for a new job but one of my former college instructors remembered me and asked me if i was looking for a job. i figured that it wouldn't hurt to try so i applied and got the job :) i wasn't sure how i would like being in such a specialized job but it isn't bad. i get to work with *nix and some windows so i get exposure to many different types of web technologies on a daily basis. it is enough to keep me from feeling bored of the platform.

i am a network admin/computer tech for Hood county in Texas i help take care of around 300 boxes and also do the audio and video equipment in the court rooms

Desktop..

Im a Desktop support Engineer...Pretty much do everything under the sun...Mostly trouble calls and server setup...migration..things of that sort...I work for National Grid aka Keyspan Energy..which is the main energy company here in the nyc..

Last edited:
Wow, my job is boring comparatively to the rest of you. I'm currently 27 and work at Paul Fredrick Menstyle(Executive level clothing and casual wear) as a service representative. Basically, I answer customer calls regarding placing orders, shipping questions, and basically anything you can think of. Additionally, I also handle emails and in fact, just got back from a proofreading seminar in the local city(Reading).

I'm hoping this is temporary as I'll be attending school in the spring for Information Technology. Our website is in drastic need of a facelift. Hopefully, I'll be able to get my degree and transfer up to the web department, from the service center.

Right now I am in the Yakima valley working on my Fathers organic fruit farm.Mostly I just sort fruit and load trucks.The season is almost over though and i will heading back to Ohio in about 2 weeks.I can't wait to get back home as it has been almost 3 months and I really miss the Wife and kids. It will be back to slinging paint then.

19 and I'm a computer technician, sales representative, system builder for a brand new local company in Socal (part time). I mostly deal with various customers in field repair or consultation for making systems home or business. The best part about this job is that it's near my campus, near my house, a tv, fridge, and nerf gun in my office :D

Of course my main occupation is a university student :D

Bear in mind that this is not my dream job, but I'm working my way up to being able to afford grad school.

I work at one of the largest cram schools in Taipei, about 170,000 students. I administer an oral test to help them prepare for TOEFL exams and grade papers. Yes, grading papers is insanely boring (how many times can you read about the garbage problem in Taiwan in broken English before you punch the guy next to you just because?), but the oral test is very interesting. It's called the Speaking with Foreigners test. Basically I just have a conversation with them and grade their grammer, intonation, vocabulary, and completeness of content. I get to have interesting conversations with people and get paid for it. It's the best job you're going to get in Taiwan without being able to speak fluent Chinese (Mandirin). I make about $15.63usd an hour doing that, which starts to look pretty good when my rent is only $225 a month. It's a part time job, but that gives me more time to work towards my goal of becoming a successful engineer/inventor/game writer (not really sure what the proper name for this is).

I'm very interested in video games, but not so much in the gameplay. Don't get me wrong, playing games can be fun, but a lot of that is squelched for me when there isn't a good storyline. That's why I'm interested in the development side. I have ideas for devices that would enhance gaming experiences, but I don't have the engineering knowledge to develop them. Everytime I learn something about the development, I realize just how little I really understand. I have ideas for epic storylines, and I've always been a good story writer; but I don't have an outlet.

I'm hoping that a better education will open doors for me, so I'm willing to work at a job I don't really want (and let's face it, it's really not that bad of a job). Why Taiwan? Well I was in Belize before, and it was either the US or Taiwan. I've been to the US before, and I've always wanted to go to Taiwan since that's where my mom is from. Plus, the news about the economy scares the crap out of me.

wow i wish my job was as cool as most of these, im 22 and have worked in a warehouse for 4 years till the company went under..... i also have a CDL and drove truck from east coast to west coast, but OTR sucks!. ill end up going back to school since there is no job market here.

Back