• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

whats the best 120mm fan for watercooler (the age old question)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

YAMA187

i just went out and bought a H60 cooler for my fx8120 and one of the first thing i noticed is that the fan doesn't push much air at all. so im wondering what you guys think i should get to replace it. sound isnt much of a problem unless its really loud. also i prefer something that has a 4 pin set up so i can plug right into my mobo and read the speeds.

thanks guys!!!

So you need a 4 pin PWM fan. You should get two, for push/pull. You'll have to branch the 12 VDC to a regular molex for fan power and only use the two wires for PWM control to the mobo.

There are lots of good PWN fans, in fact we have a sticky up top and lots of discussion posts on what fans you want.

And loud=better cooling. And the H60 is less capable than many good air coolers. We have reviews on the front page to prove it.

Your mobo probably cannot handle the current of a hihg speed fan, much less two of them. Which is what you need to make the old weak H60 perform even to decent standards.

A simple splitter will nor work because the PWM and RPM signal if doubled/[parelled with a splitter will totally confuse the mobo curcuits.

Your best bet is to get two 3000 RPM voltage controlled fans and use a simple fan controller to adjust fan speeds as needed. I can tell you really have no idea what PWM etc stands for.

With 3000 RPM fans you'll get as much out of the H60 as possible, and be able to turn it down for normal usage. Your best bet is beginning to learn about cooling PC's

Read, read, read..............................

Well. It's best you reads lots yourself. Maybe you'll learn something about fans and the specs that matter.

Head over to Martinsliquidlabs.org and look up fan testing. If you go to the watercooling forum, where you should be, there are many links and discussions about fans.

Back